Notices

Errm..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 08:49 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was doing some work on the Scoob today and dropped a 10mm socket into the engine bay....as there is a full under tray under the engine, I couldn't get it out.

Anyone know if it's likely to cause any harm if I just leave it in there until I get it serviced? I can't be bothered to jack it up and get the under tray off....and if I could, I don't know how you'd jack it up as the tray goes right under all the central bits i would normally jack up!!!

[Edited by Timbo33 - 4/28/2002 8:53:36 PM]
Old 28 April 2002, 08:50 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well take it out then!

David
Old 28 April 2002, 08:54 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Bit quick off the mark there.....haven't posted for a while and forgot that carriage return = 'Submit'.

See edited version!!
Old 28 April 2002, 09:01 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

Best to remove it. can be jacked up on the centre of the cross member. Just tap the undertray with your hand to deflect it and socket should 'bounce' out if it has reach that far!
Old 28 April 2002, 10:19 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Matt.

When I looked underneath the tray seemed to go all the way back behind the wheel arches and I couldn't see anything realy jackable that wasn't covered by undertray.

Also the undertray seems tb a pretty snug fit all round. The only holes are a couple at the back which I presume are for drainage and they were too small for the socket to come out of cos i managed to get it that far with a long screwdriver.

I was also a bit unsure of how the tray fastens as i didn't want to damage it. Is there any knack or do the fasteners just pop out?

Timbo

Old 29 April 2002, 10:12 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I did something similar a while ago. After much fannying about I discovered that by banging the underside of the tray a few times, I could get the bolt I had dropped in to "jump" out.
Old 29 April 2002, 02:38 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

That's it, the old jumping bolt (socket) trick - it does work.
You won't damage the undertray, it is quite flexible.
Old 29 April 2002, 10:36 PM
Felix
Scooby Regular

Have also dropped a socket into the abyss. Mine dropped near to the radiator where the under tray is fastened by little black plastic studs. After what seemed hours of trying to prise the sodding things out without causing damage - it snapped. Bugger! But I got the socket back and the tray sprung back to where it should go anyway, so no need for another stud. I suppose if push came to shove a self tapping screw would do the trick.
Old 29 April 2002, 10:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a hard left and lost a socket set extension bar into the bushes on the right ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD Only realised when I looked in my toolbox when I got home "That could have taken someone's eye out that could young man"
Old 01 May 2002, 09:22 PM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your moral support chaps. Funny thing is i've forgotten all abouit it since the weekend and I took a 200 mile blast round the South of England yesterday and no tell tale 'bangs' 'clonks' or 'tinkles' so I wonder if it's wedged somewhere...(probably in the Cam belt?)

I'll have to try the 'crawl-underneath-and-thump-it-several-times' technique when it's not pissing down with rain

Timbo