Notices

Brake pad noise?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2002, 02:02 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a noise coming from the left front sounds like light metal scratching at a certain point as the wheel goes round.
Its frequency increases as the speed increases and it does not change when braking. I have fitted EBC Green brake pads and I want to know is this noise due to some kind of wear detector on the pads when they get low. There is about 0.5cm left on pads. Discs are not warped and there is no brake shuddering.

Has anyone else experience this noise, it is very annoying especialy when windows down.

Thanks

Derek
Old 26 April 2002, 02:07 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Check out my post in the brakes forum

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=90430

Sounds like exactly what I'm getting on my MY00, and on the same wheel. The other night I took the pads out, cleaned em up, cleaned up the caliper and pins and reassembled with copperslip and it still does it.

So I'm clueless as to the problem. I will probably end up taking it back to the dealer to be looked at under warranty but I'm now suspecting a sticking piston or warped disc.

Whip
Old 29 April 2002, 09:33 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Derek M

See above thread as I have now 'cured' the problem.

Whip
Old 29 April 2002, 04:23 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Cheers Whip,

Is it and easy job to remove the pads and inspect and how do u get rid of the wear indicator?

Derek
Old 29 April 2002, 05:00 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep mate

I'm assuming you have a MY99/00 or suchlike with the 4-pot front calipers here.

There are two retaining pins which go through the caliper and pads, and a wire-spring at the innermost side. With pliers remove the spring, then tap the ends of the retaining pins outwards to remove them. You will need to then prise the pads away from the disc somehow (avoid levering against the disc though) to force the pistons back into the caliper and allow enough space to remove the pads.

Once they're out, the squealer is a strip of metal attached to one side of the pad, about 3mm wide. Look for bare metal where it's been rubbing on the disc. To remove, just get some pliers and bend it a few times.

Btw, let me know how much taper is on your pads when you've done this, not sure if I've got abnormal pad wear or not.

You'll see what I mean when you have the wheel off, they are actually quite a good design for an OE caliper. I could probably now change pads within 15 minutes.

May the Force be with you and all that

Whip
Old 30 April 2002, 04:58 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Got the job done last night. Was quite easy. Both pads seem to have worn fairly evenly may be slightly more to one end but not much.

Got the the little squealer broke off and left the other one on. still a good 0.5 cm left on the inside pad which seems to have worn the most.

Its great now. No noise!