Notices

Classic: Resonator removal (delete for yanks)

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2011, 09:09 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic: Resonator removal (delete for yanks)

Seen this banging around the net, seems simple enough....removal gives increased induction roar and ability to hear RECIRC and turbo spooling more...

What are the UK chaps replacing the 'box' with? any links? or just leaving it off completely? if i was to do that i think i'd put a fine mesh over the hole in the airbox to try prevent crap filling it up?,,,,,

your thoughts.. PS would i need it mapped again after this?
Old 29 September 2011, 09:11 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I have done it on a bug, but the same in theory. I have bought a set of fog covers with cold air induction built in, to connect up to the hole in the wing where the snorkel was.
Old 29 September 2011, 09:23 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

yeah but bugs have more room dont they? i'm sure the classics need metal bent & cut away for the FMIC piping? I'm not wanting FMIC but if i could use some non-collapsable tubing to reconnect the tubes after box removal that would be cool......or would that not help and it infact NEEDS to be open to the elements?
Old 29 September 2011, 11:41 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I done this on my year 2000 UK Turbo a few months ago, ran it for 2 weeks & put the resonator back in - for me, it seemed to run a lot smoother with it in
Old 30 September 2011, 06:47 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

bump bump anymore experiences?
Old 30 September 2011, 07:34 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year car Aaron?

There are 2 on an early classic, not sure on later ones.

I'm assuming you mean the one in the wing, I binned mine when I fit my FMIC. Don't see any reason why you can't just get rid of it though.

Just put a cold air feed direct to the air box IMO.
Old 30 September 2011, 07:43 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

Whoops - used to other forums having the car details under the avatar lol

V4 STI :-)
Old 01 October 2011, 12:53 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the resonator on its own without doing anything else will increase induction roar. It will also REDUCE power output. In an actual experiment it reduced a 335 bhp car to 327 or 328 bhp from memory. The results are recorded somewhere if I look for them.
Because the results were not as expected the experiment was repeated carefully with exactly the same outcome.
Old 01 October 2011, 07:52 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

really? how is this? i assume the inside the resonator the air becomes 'stail' some what....surely there isn't fins inside to create a vortex 'per say'? I'm not doubting what your results are, as i've heard a great deal about you only being in South Shields ;-) but how is this? in my (simple) mind - the coldest/driest/most direct air the better no?
Old 01 October 2011, 10:36 PM
ksg10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Removing the resonator on its own without doing anything else will increase induction roar. It will also REDUCE power output. In an actual experiment it reduced a 335 bhp car to 327 or 328 bhp from memory. The results are recorded somewhere if I look for them.
Because the results were not as expected the experiment was repeated carefully with exactly the same outcome.
Would just removing the foamy stuff inside the resonator box have the same effect? since it's still the factory cold air feed and there may be a bit less restriction?
Old 02 October 2011, 05:43 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen any "foamy stuff" inside any resonator box I have removed or examined. The resonator box is located in the inner wing. Are you confusing this with the air box where the pannel filter is located? You may have one with a foam filter.
Aaron : No fins and creating a vortex is most undesirable. The purpose of the resonator is two fold. To reduce induction noise and to present the air to the MAF Sensor as smoothly and unifornally as possible.
If the airbox is removed only without a link pipe then the air presented to the MAF Sensor is turbulent.
If the car is not remapped after removing the resonator then the fueling is adversely effected.
Old 02 October 2011, 06:31 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, when found out that removing the resonator made the car less smooth to drive - I re-fitted it, but with a home devised mod

Basically I have blanked off the inlet (that was drawing in air from engine bay) of the resonator and re-made the inlet hole (the same size etc) on the side next to it so that it draws air from the inner wing rather than engine bay, plus I have a cold feed into the inner wing from the fog light cover.

Doing this seems to have kept the smoothness of having the resonator attached with the benefits of colder air feed.
Old 02 October 2011, 07:06 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

If the airbox is removed only without a link pipe then the air presented to the MAF Sensor is turbulent.
That's why i was asking what people do, leave it open or link the two parts that the box attached to (perhaps with length of silicone hosing or pipe?) putting said pipe in - would this increase induction noise or not?
Old 02 October 2011, 08:10 PM
ksg10
Scooby Regular

I have not seen any "foamy stuff" inside any resonator box I have removed or examined. The resonator box is located in the inner wing. Are you confusing this with the air box where the pannel filter is located? You may have one with a foam filter.
Aaron : No fins and creating a vortex is most undesirable. The purpose of the resonator is two fold. To reduce induction noise and to present the air to the MAF Sensor as smoothly and unifornally as possible.
If the car is not remapped after removing the resonator then the fueling is adversely effected.
Sorry, I was under the impression that there was some sort of material inside the resonator box that muffled sound, which I also thought might impede air flow.