Notices

i need a engine advice please

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2011, 04:18 PM
benelms
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need a engine advice please

hi ive got a lhd subaru wrx 2004 which has developed a big end problem i need to know is it worth fixing it or should i buy a second hand engine as i only have 1500 to get it fixed or have it repaired any help would be appreciated . so is it possible th have the big end fixed for less than 1500 or does anyone have a vvti sti engine that i could drop into my wrx for less than 1500 any help is much appreciated i can travel nearly anywhere in the uk as i live in france but i still have family in the northeast and im travelling up to durham next week
Old 15 September 2011, 04:34 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I have a full long STI V7 engine here from a 30k bug eye i broke, complete with VVT heads £1500, could get it shipped on a pallet to you either in france or to the UK, up to you.
Old 15 September 2011, 04:48 PM
benelms
Scooby Regular

where abouts are you in the uk as i would want to see the engine first thanx
Old 15 September 2011, 05:35 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

When I priced it up to do the same the parts alone were coming in at around £800, I'm sure that could be reduced though with some shopping about.
Old 15 September 2011, 05:57 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by benelms
where abouts are you in the uk as i would want to see the engine first thanx

Im in Northern Ireland. If you check my breaking thread there is a cold start video. Mileage is genuine and engine perfect. I would suggest finding the fault with you own car before repair or replacement though.
Old 15 September 2011, 06:01 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianbott
When I priced it up to do the same the parts alone were coming in at around £800, I'm sure that could be reduced though with some shopping about.
I very much doubt that you will buy all parts needed for £800. Have you factored new oil pump/modine/crank/bearings/rings/engine gasket set/new sump/timing belt kit, and thats before you pop the bonnet?
Old 15 September 2011, 07:28 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
I very much doubt that you will buy all parts needed for £800. Have you factored new oil pump/modine/crank/bearings/rings/engine gasket set/new sump/timing belt kit, and thats before you pop the bonnet?
Oil pump can be cleaned or a second hand one would be more than acceptable, the oil cooler again second hand would be fine as with the sump too.
The new parts needed would be crank, main and big end bearings, no need for rings if the bores are ok then it'd just be a timing belt assuming all pulleys and tensioners are in good condition.
Old 15 September 2011, 07:30 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

But yeah that's before any labour is factored in so the £1500 figure could be achievable depending on labour costs.
Old 15 September 2011, 07:48 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I would never reuse and oil pump, modine or sump in a car that has spun a bearing, you just can't be certain there is no debris in them.
Old 15 September 2011, 07:49 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Oil pump can be cleaned or a second hand one would be more than acceptable, the oil cooler again second hand would be fine as with the sump too.
oh dear. 2nd hand oil pump and second hand modine on a rebuild. you will pay twice but go ahead knock yourself out. see how many people on here agree with ya on this one fella
Old 15 September 2011, 07:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with bigsinky, never re use an oil pump or modine from a blown engine, you will never get rid of the debris out of them an it could have been the oil pump that caused the issue in the first place, so always go new.
Dunno why you would want to re use the sump either, 50 quid new.

Tony
Old 15 September 2011, 09:19 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Fair enough never actually priced up a sump but I never suggested re using the oil cooler, as for the oil pump if there was no issues with it before then there will still be no issues now. The oil pump is probably the easiest part to clean on the engine.
However I'm not saying do this, I won't be going down this route personally, I was merely saying there really isnt a massive need for the 3-4k rebuild, a £1500 rebuild with standard parts will more than suffice.
Old 15 September 2011, 10:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

the oil cooler again second hand would be fine
I never suggested re using the oil cooler,
that doesn't make sense. whether you use your old modine or someone elses old modine it amounts to the same thing. ok you could you a modine from a car that hasn't spun a bearing but in my opinion its not just worth the risk.

the same goes for the oil pump and the sump. you can never be sure of getting all the swarf away and it only take a minute piece to screw your engine again.

the reconditioned engine is your best bet for £1500 but again you have no way of know its provenance, it could be ok, it might not. Anyhoo you pays your money you takes your chance.
Old 15 September 2011, 11:10 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

There really is nothing known with any engine whether it's a replacement or the one that comes in your new car you've just bought so yeah all new is best I do agree but not always 100% necessary.
Fair enough about the modine and yeah I meant reusing another one not the one from the engine that has spun a bearing.
Old 15 September 2011, 11:26 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ok no probs. you confused me there for a minute
Old 17 September 2011, 01:53 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Why would you fit an Sti engine into a wrx? It wont work with your Wrx ecu.

The shortblock would be fine to use but you cant just drop in the sti lump as a long engine so my advice would be not to buy one.