first post, a few q's

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2011, 09:29 PM
butski
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first post, a few q's

hi there,
picked up my first scoob yesterday, 53 blob eye wrx, totally standard (atm) lol,
very happy with it, but............
thinking about a few mods for it
it has Bridgestone Potenza tyres on it, are they any good ?
looking for a little more power so, thinking, k&n panel filter, exhaust and remap,
which exhaust is best value for money, i mean is a full de cat system worth the extra money over a cat back for the level of power i'm looking at ?
do the cheap brands perform less or just last less time ?
any recomendations for remap near the south east coast ?
and now stopping.......
are the standard brakes up to this or will they need changing, seen sti 4 pots and gold brembo's secondhand
sorry for all the questions in my first post, but would just like to know where to start
Lee
Old 12 September 2011, 09:53 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

potenzas, could do better but if there is a load of tread on them don't bother. panel filter, decatted downpipe and a remap is a very good start if you are looking for more power. Hayward and scott exhausts favoured by a lot on here. if you fully decat you will have to change at MOT time. the oem 4 pots are a solid brake. stick some ferodo ds2500 pads in and see how you fare.
Old 13 September 2011, 01:04 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

i find the potenzas rather good but there are better tyres out therre
Old 13 September 2011, 11:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Potenzas OK on that model.

Cheaper alternatives: some are OK, some actually perform worse than the original, and some are actually detrimental, ie: can cause probs. Best to seek asdvice on a particular mod. You usually have an answer in 24 hours, but DO be careful: if one or two people advise against, but lots come on and say, "Do it, do it, it works/worked OK on my car", ask yourself, who will pay for any repairs should a problem occur? Them? Or you?

Trust me, tuning an Impreza is a minefield. There ARE experts out there who give free advice, but there are also "experts". Post count is a good guide, but not always.

Brakes: don't think STi Brembos will fit under your wheels, at the front. They do fit under WRX new age wheels at the rear.

Ask Ian Godney on here for advice on braking, or Alyn at AS performance, he posts as Stockcar.
Old 13 September 2011, 12:32 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Potenza are OK,but for this price you can have Falken FK452 and you will save on second hand alloys which will clear Brembo,because your WRX alloys will not clear Brembo..

If you are thinking to modified your WRX to something like 280bhp here is usual list: Decatted exhaust(Cobra Exhaust UK is good for money),decatted up pipe,Walbro 255lph fuel pump and 3 port boost solenoid(but at your stage i wouldn't fit),K&N panel filter

Some cheap exhaust are OK,but problem with these cheap exhausts is doesn't fit properly i know from own experience..

For remap i would recommend contact Neil@Slowboy Racing(he's located near Brands Hatch) Tel: 01474 854812 mobile:077821 06604 and will help you decide what you will need what no.

For brakes,i was run Grooved disc and EBC Blue stuff NDX on my WRX and they're not the best combo for OE 4pots on New age.I would recommend have look for Brembo calipers and discs..

Jura