Notices

2005 WRX PPP purchased - more noise needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2011, 01:05 PM
Al3x1983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 WRX PPP purchased - more noise needed!

Hi All,

I’ve just (Saturday) purchased a 2005 WRX PPP having sold my S2000. I’m happy with the performance (for now), but I’m used to hearing VTEC scream and in comparison the Subaru is quite quiet. To compensate I’d like to hear more rumble from my Scooby, but don’t have a great deal of budget – say £300ish.

I’m thinking something along the lines of:
- ITG panel filter
- Decat prodrive exahaust OR change back box to Scoobysport

I’m not too knowledgeable, so any advice or recommendations would be good.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12 September 2011, 01:22 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay kinda new to the tuning side off things myself mate but first off all good choice off car !! also have a 2005 wrx here.

okay your car should already have a decat exhaust on the back as part of the PPP package, my own wrx is not the Prodrive version so is in the process of having a decat midpipe fitted to it but in my case its for extra perforamnce prior to getting tehecar remaped as opposed to extra noise !! itg filter yep, have a k+n panel filter in mine not sure it will give any extra noise but a nice mod anyway. Blitz nur spec or one off the more common aftermarket boxes will certainly give you that bit more sound !!

you will maybe find that changing one off the up or downpipes cats bring out a bit off a deeper noise as well. lastly a straight thru rear pipe will also add to the extra noise.
Old 12 September 2011, 01:44 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

I used to have a 2004 WRX PPP - changed the system (cat back) with a de-res and back box from Scoobyclinic - that certainly unleashed the burble sufficiently and about within you budget from what I recall It was a few years back mind Good luck and enjoy the car
Old 12 September 2011, 01:45 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Just noticed you are in Kent too - post some pics up or add the car to your virtual garage and I'll look out for you
Old 12 September 2011, 01:53 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Are the newage's relatively quiet even with decat? Most of the ones I've heard while out and about sound pretty good. Got a decat system on mine and it makes one hell of a racket, though I do love it myself

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfiOmisC58[/youtube]
Old 12 September 2011, 02:28 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I can recommend heyward and scott de-res centre and rear box. Sounds perfect, plenty of noise on boost but quiet enough to cruise on the motorway.
Old 12 September 2011, 02:38 PM
Al3x1983
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
...with a de-res and back box from Scoobyclinic...
Hello mate, yes I'm in Kent. I'll update the chart and pic now.

What's a de-res?

I'm assuming the PPP has a cat for emissions. Is this a sports cat? Would it be worth replacing this?
Old 12 September 2011, 02:50 PM
Al3x1983
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
I can recommend heyward and scott de-res centre and rear box. Sounds perfect, plenty of noise on boost but quiet enough to cruise on the motorway.
Does the de-res centre replace the cat? Are you talking about something like this:

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subar...ntre-pipe.html
Old 12 September 2011, 02:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Nope no cat in midpipe off your PPP kit mate, there is only one in the up and down pipe.

de-res pipe is just a straight thru pipe as opposed to the one on your car that has the resonated box, just brings out a bit more noise in the system as opposed to more power.
Old 12 September 2011, 02:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Al3x1983
Does the de-res centre replace the cat? Are you talking about something like this:

Nope thats just the de -res pipe itself mate as said it will just bring out a bit off extra noise. you dont have 2nd cat pipe in your particular car its removed and replaced with a decat pipe with the PPP kit.

You have your Exhaust backbox then the back pipe ( res /de-res pipe ) - mid section ( decat pipe ) - then the downpipe.

Last edited by jono300; 12 September 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12 September 2011, 03:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Al3x1983

Nope thats just the de -res pipe itself mate as said it will just bring out a bit off extra noise. you dont have 2nd cat pipe in your particular car its removed and replaced with a decat pipe with the PPP kit.

You have your Exhaust backbox then the back pipe ( res /de-res pipe ) - mid section ( decat pipe ) - downpipe / uppipe

Look at this link your system is more or less like this apart from again you dont have that cat converter in place on the midpipe due to the PPP package.

http://ellisfamilyalbum.com/Car%20St...st-diagram.jpg

Last edited by jono300; 12 September 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12 September 2011, 05:23 PM
noturbo
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want, for your budget a catback exhaust would be a great mod, along with a panel filter it's prob the most common 1st mod people make.

for max noise i'd say an afterburner vortex

for slightly less noise but still the jap style the ninja 2 with resonated centre

for more subtle sound and looks maybe a h&s or scoobysport bb or racebox with resonated centre section

Try listening to some sound clips on youtube and picking one you like the sound of.

Also worth looking on www.scoobyworld.co.uk as they stock some nice exhausts and are very popular choices among scooby owners