Notices

Engine removal EJ20

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2011, 01:58 PM
nick.bdk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal EJ20

well im going to try and remove my engine to change the head gasket. Is there a guide for doing this? And what sort of gasket do i need (wich is best)? As the engine is coming out what more should i do to it? buy the way im going to use it as a track car. Any help would be very very very much appreciated! And sorry if this is in the search some where

Thanks
Old 04 September 2011, 02:01 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...emoval-gd.html
Old 05 September 2011, 09:03 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

This is the guide I used:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t632...e-removal.html

it does miss out the bit about removing the bar for the clutch fork, and as my aircon has no gas i didn't bother with that - just undid the hoses, and also i unbolted the exhaust at the downpipe rather than removing the headers, but other than that it got me through, and i've never done anythign as substatial as removing a whole engine before.. generally just the odd servicing work, brake pads/discs, stuff likie that.
i also didn't bother about the thermostat housing it mentions either, now that i think of it.
Would have taken me abtou 3 hours to remove the engine if it wasn't for a stupid really stubborn bellhousing nut, and about the same to get it back in, plus time to double check everything, and top up the coolant.

one tip for you though... mark up the fuel hoses! i managed to plumb mine back int eh wrong way round, which didn't exactly help with starting the car. swapped them back the right way and it fired first time
Old 05 September 2011, 11:36 AM
nick.bdk
Scooby Regular

Thanks this is a big help

Can anyone help with the clutch fork

What KG do you think the engine is?
Old 05 September 2011, 11:40 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

There's other info on this site, but basically, you need to undo the screw in the passenger side of the geatbox with a 10mm allen key, then in there is a bar that runs across the gearbox that the clutch fork is mounted to. The bar has a threaded hole in it, which is exactly the same size as the one on the cam belt cover bolts,
I used one of the cam belt cover bolts to screw intot he thread in the bar then just give it a gentle pull and it will come out.

when refitting the clutch fork, undo the clutch cover, release the clutch release bearing form its circlip and put it on the mai shaft form the gearbox, then you can see how to fit the fork.

when you bolt the bellhousing and block back together you may need to pull the clutch fork sharply back towards the bulkhead to get the bearing to re-engage.

hope that helps.

as for weight.. no idea.. 100ish kg with turbo, alternator etc still attached?
Old 07 September 2011, 10:03 AM
nick.bdk
Scooby Regular

Done its out Thanks to: markb_s1 & Myles

now next up is the gasket. What is the best head gasket to put on (steel? thinkness?) And can you help with setting the timing back up?

Last edited by nick.bdk; 07 September 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07 September 2011, 11:21 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Nice one. Glad to be of some help! I'm afraid head gaskets and cam timing is well out of my league!
Old 07 September 2011, 01:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

No worries mate, I knew the link existed and it's better than any advice I could give you!