Notices

New Age WRX and 280BHP

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2011, 02:29 PM
mc6127
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Age WRX and 280BHP

I am in the market for a 02-04 WRX and once I have found one I will be looking to tune it

I have seen a number of 'Stage 1' packages from various garages all offering the same 280-300BHP figure, simple question really - can the standard gearbox, clutch etc handle this sort of power?

Any helps would be appreciated

Cheers
Matt
Old 13 July 2011, 02:35 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mc6127
I am in the market for a 02-04 WRX and once I have found one I will be looking to tune it

I have seen a number of 'Stage 1' packages from various garages all offering the same 280-300BHP figure, simple question really - can the standard gearbox, clutch etc handle this sort of power?

Any helps would be appreciated

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt

Gearbox,Clutch will hold this without the problem.

If you can stretch budget,look for STi out the box better.

Jura
Old 13 July 2011, 04:39 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

bare in mind though , that it depends how its been driven ? with 300+bhp a tortured gearbox might just be the reason they are sellin up in the first place ??
Old 13 July 2011, 05:09 PM
mc6127
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your replies, I am looking for a completely standard one for me to tune myself - I've had my fingers burnt in the past buying an already tuned car

I would consider an STi, but prefer something a little more descreet, but tuned to STi power! I will consider a hawkeye Spec D (when they come down in price a bit!), but am happy to get a WRX and tune that for now
Old 13 July 2011, 06:22 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Jura is on the money; most cost effective eoption would be to buy an sti and de-sti it
Old 13 July 2011, 06:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A stage 1 tune will give you approx 280bhp to 290bhp, the standard turbo tends to max around this figure, If you want 300 you will have to change turbo`s and this is not reallt part of a stage 1 tune. The newage WRX box can cope with 300 but there are plenty of broken ones out there and some that are running 400!!

My advise would be if it is within your budget, Buy the STI and then make it a nice discreet lookin one if thats what your after, As prevoiusly mentioned the STI is a far better car all round, I`ve had both, Gaz.
Old 13 July 2011, 06:36 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

WRX are good cars,but if you want modified WRX at the end will be expensive at end,if you are looking at 350bhp WRX will be OK,but if you are looking more than 350bhp,best will be STi.

If you want take WRX get to 400-500bhp have look at my project and you will see,its not easy and no cheap.

Good luck

Jura
Old 13 July 2011, 09:49 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Bear in mind that if yo go for an STI , you will still need to mod it to make it enjoyable. Budget a remap, decent exhaust and suspension mods to dial out the inherent understeer and jumpy ride. As above for the WRX, however STI brakes will be fine upto 350 bhp. WRX will need better discs and pads at 280bhp
Old 13 July 2011, 10:07 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

My03 spec c v ltd has low spoiler and discreet black interior as standard good base to start or just get sti and change bootlid if the spoiler is not to your liking, if you want more power now then you will defo want to go higher in the future so will work out cheaper in the longrun. Wrx is good car though I wouldn't knock it I had one myself fir 3 years and loved it, good car at ppp level with sti brembos and whiteline rear rollbar,
Old 14 July 2011, 01:56 PM
mc6127
Scooby Newbie

Unfortunately my budget will not quite stretch to an STI, to be honest I am not really looking for a hugh project with massive power

I will be happy with around the 300bhp mark, upgrade the brakes and suspension, then pootle around in it

Then maybe in a few years get an all singing all dancing STI, only reason I want a more discreet one at the memont is cos of the areas I tend to park

I've been looking for a WRX SL, but all the ones I've seen seem to have high miles on them, so will probably have to go for a cloth interior, I personally think the leather is the perfect touch to the interior

@jura11 - I see you are from Slowboy Racing, I actually found you a couple days ago searching through google and have only just noticed you are from there (didn't notice from your first reply), as you aren't too far from me I will be paying you a visit once I have found one

Cheers
Old 14 July 2011, 09:11 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mc6127

I've been looking for a WRX SL, but all the ones I've seen seem to have high miles on them, so will probably have to go for a cloth interior, I personally think the leather is the perfect touch to the interior

Cheers
Not sure if SN rules allow this but......I know someone who`s selling a WRX SL with some nice subtle mods this is his blurb on it taken from another site, He`s a really nice guy and one of the LADS members.

`I have put a lot of thought into it and i am selling the scooby.

Being in the army and doing the amount of travling i do its costing too much.

so its my 03 WRX SL. it has full black leather and sun roof`

83k on the clock
Bottom end done at 77k
smooth boot lid,
18" black alloys,
30mm lowering springs (apex)
DTM mirrors,
black roof (not a rap).
hella supertones. horns
decat down pipe.
japspeed FMIC,
oil catch tank,
induction kit,
boost gauge

£5500 o.n.o

His name is Paul, if you want his contact details let me know, gaz.

Old 15 July 2011, 09:20 AM
mc6127
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for posting, however I am looking for a standard model to tune myself

Cheers
Old 15 July 2011, 03:49 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

have a look at this sight http://www.motors.co.uk/used/cars/subaru
Old 15 July 2011, 04:08 PM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

Well if you can hold on a few weeks, I will be selling my '03 plate Blobeye WRX. Its completely standard and has been owned from new by (oddly enough) an old woman. I bought it last weekend with some minor parking scrapes, stone chips and dents, which I'm having sorted out this weekend at the bodyshop. I bought it to mod up and keep as a weekend car, but my wife is kicking off about me spending that much on a toy when we have a kid on the way (I guess I can see her point) so I was going to put her up for sale when it comes out of the shop.
If your interested I can take some pics when it gets out! Is Mica Black, Its currently got the low level WRX wing (I have a high level STI one going on - so you could choose what you like!) I've bought a set of 18" Team Dynamics Jet alloys which I was going to refurb in Anthracite to, but still have the OEM alloys also.....
With the new wheels, spoiler and paint I'll be looking for around £4.5Kono
It would be a good base for mod'ding as its been totally unabused and you can choose what to do to it...
Let me know and I'll get some pics up for you!

Mark
Old 16 July 2011, 08:02 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

By the time you have bought a WRX and got it to 280-290 bhp you have probably spent the money it would take you to buy an STi in the first place.
Look at what Gaz says at post #6.