Notices

Water/condensation?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2011, 04:46 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/condensation?

Right, I noticed a little puddle under my downpipe/2nd cat delete, and when I felt round it there was a slight air leak. When I started the car and looked under, there was a dribble of water coming from the join. I can't think what it could be? Any ideas? It is a fully decatted system apart from Prodrive sportcat.
Old 30 June 2011, 06:58 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any clues on this? It stopped when the car warmed right up, and it had been stood for about 4 hours.

As an aside, will a slight blow from the output of the downpipe cause any loss of power/issues?
Old 01 July 2011, 12:25 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 01 July 2011, 12:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
Anyone got any clues on this? It stopped when the car warmed right up, and it had been stood for about 4 hours.

As an aside, will a slight blow from the output of the downpipe cause any loss of power/issues?
As long as its after the oxygen sensor, power shouldn't be affected.

Engines produce alot of water vapour...H2O is a byproduct of combusting Hydrocarbons (fuel) with oxygen (Hydrogens, carbons, plus air and ignition = water+carbon dioxide+some other stuff).

Obviously, with a cold exhuast this condenses before it leaves the tailppipe, hence the drip.

(Inccidentally, its this water vapour that in part causes the engine oil to degrade on cars used for lots of short journeys.)

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 July 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01 July 2011, 12:43 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
As long as its after the oxygen sensor, power shouldn't be affected.

Engines produce alot of water vapour...H2O is a byproduct of combusting Hydrocarbons (fuel) with oxygen (Hydrogens, carbons, plus air and ignition = water+carbon dioxide+some other stuff).

Obviously, with a cold exhuast this condenses before it leaves the tailppipe, hence the drip.

(Inccidentally, its this water vapour that in part causes the engine oil to degrade on cars used for lots of short journeys.)
Thanks for that, is the O2 sensor in the downpipe, if so it has been removed to fit the sportcat.