Notices

Getting my Classic to Stage 1...

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2011, 08:45 PM
Coxey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my Classic to Stage 1...

Hey all,

Apologies if this type of thread already exists, but I have had a hunt through archives and used the search function with no real answewr, so thought I would post a new thread.

Right, so I bought myself a Classic 3 weeks back (best move I ever made!), and want to get it to Stage 1 (as according to Andy Forrest website) ASAP

So, have already got hold of a Scorpion turbo back decat exhaust system and am now starting to look at Walbro 255 pump, panel filter and resonator delete...

Now i'm struggling to find this resonator delete pipe for sale anywhere...now am I just being a complete moron....or are they tricky to get hold of?!

Also I have been umming and arring about just getting an uprated panel filter, but really want the induction noise you get from the induction kits, but don't want to get an induction kit and then have it reduce the performance of the car...so guessing I need a cold air feed/heat shield type set-up?!

As you can tell, i'm a bit of a newbie to say the least, but any help/advice etc would be most helpful, as worryingly so, after I have sorted Stage 1 remap, I will then be saving for Stage 2

Thanks for any help in advance.

Carl.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:02 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

Your on the right track.
As for induction noise, I have had a bracket made, so I have kept standard air box, but the bottom is gone, and run a cold air feed to it.
I have done most of the mods myself, and have learnt quite a bit from people and doing it myself.

I'm not quite sure in resonator delete due to having a MY00.
But i am sure a lot of others will know.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:03 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you run an induction kit it can upset the Mass Air Flow sensor due to the turbulant air flow. If you fit a good panel filter eg K&N or Green, have a look through the forum, they are good for reasonable levels of tuning. I think I read 400bhp for the standard airbox. I speak from a newage angle but think it is close to the specs for a classic with panel filter.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:07 PM
Coxey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys, hhmmm I might have to stick to the panel filter then, I just know I love the induction sounds the kits make, hehe.

Oh, by the way, mine is a MY99 UK2000...so maybe it doesn't have a resonator thingy?!

lol, I'm useless if you havnt already noticed!!
Old 23 June 2011, 10:03 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

The resonator is in the centre section of the exhaust, any straight thru (H&S, Scoobysport etc) will delete this and increase the volume of the burble..... Happy days!
Old 23 June 2011, 11:48 AM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

The op is asking about the resonator in the induction tract not exhaust.

As far as i know 97 onwards don't have an intake resonator, but a silicone intake would be a good upgrade.
Old 23 June 2011, 02:50 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

My last Scooby was a 97 uk car and had full hks decat system and headers.walbro pump.newage wrx intercooler and pipercross induction and was running 256 bhp and ran spot on without remap as ecu not mappable.
Old 23 June 2011, 07:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your OE airbox with OE Subaru filter or K+N panel are quite adequate to 350 bhp.
Ported headers and matched uppipe will make your quest for power that much easier.
440cc injectors.
Full decat exhaust with 3" downpipe.
Old 25 June 2011, 07:28 AM
some cook
Scooby Regular

Resonator Delete

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...sonatorRemoval
Old 25 June 2011, 11:36 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years ago I was interested in doing some experiments on panel filters. Contrary to glossy advertising and dishonest claims by vendors the difference between the four panel filters we tried was less than 2 bhp.
I then removed the resonator from the inner wing and power output dropped 8 bhp from memory 335 bhp down to 327 bhp.
That night I turned everything over in my mind and I was concerned because the results were not in line with what I was expecting. The following morning I fitted another resonator box and repeated the panel filter experiments on the rolling road with exactly the same results to within .2 bhp. I then removed the resonator box and back to 327 bhp.

If you want to remove your resonator box please feel free as it is your car but what was happening was that the air flow past the MAF sensor was disturbed and this led to a loss of power. I was not interested enough to try to fit a plastic link which I did not have to see if that made any improvement and I was not interested in trying to remap to investigate further but it was quite clear to me that the resonator box in the inner wing performed a purpose and having done the experiment twice there is no doubt in my mind that the resonator box should not be removed while the OE airbox and panel filter are retained.
In the garage a few days ago I actually came across one of the cut airboxes which is now in the rubbish bin and it galls me I actually had to give somebody a fiver to get the second snorkel

Don't believe everything you read on Scoobynet and you are under no obligation to believe what I say.
Old 26 June 2011, 08:35 AM
Coxey
Scooby Regular

Thank for all the advice guys

I now have lots to think bout