engine upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2011, 07:19 PM
tarbert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine upgrade?

impreza bugeye 2.0ltr

for insurance purposes i have a 2ltr sport bugeye and i am looking to upgrade it to get more bhp the questions i have are as follows;

1, i no the sensible thing to do is buy a wrx/sti engine but as funds arnt that good what would be the next best thing to do to the engine i have at the minute ?

2, is it a big job to fit a turbo to the engine and what would i need to do this i.e.strengthing wise?

3, any donations or cheap parts for sale in order to do this or any engine modifications would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for taking the time to read my thread and i hope there is someone that can help me.

cheers davie.
Old 22 June 2011, 08:27 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

sell your sport and buy a turbo, or are you trying to avoid having to pay the insurance for a turbo ?
Old 22 June 2011, 08:28 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sound like you want to fit a turbo engine and not declare it to you ins co???? If this is the case - you are a tit
If this is not the case, apologies.
..................however, converting a non turbo to a turbo would be way, way more to do than buying a turbo in the first place. Engine, brakes, loom, fuel tank - the list goes on and on.!
Old 22 June 2011, 09:11 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

as said above its a sport not a turbo, a turbo conversion would cost way more than buying the turbo in the 1st place
Old 22 June 2011, 09:17 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Your best bet would be to lookk through the suspension section. If you sort the handling out the car will be better through corners so making the best of the four wheel drive. Just because a car has big power does not mean it is fast. There is no point being able to do a 10 second 1/4 mile if you cannot drive through bends on a road.
Otherwise sell the sport and buy a turbo model.
Old 22 June 2011, 09:46 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default Low cost upgrade!

I did a couple of things to my GX sport, with unexpectedly good results!
First, good old Ebay.
A Pulse King F-16 BATTERY SAVER AND BATTERY DOCTOR for 30 quid.
Fuel Saver Fan TurboMax 20 quid, this goes in the hole left when you take off the front bit of the Air box.
Also SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 GX 2001 - 2005 K&N AIR FILTER KN NEW at just under 39 quid.
A set of PowerMAG pairs, well one and a half pairs at 15 quid a pair.
All this was fitted, with a noticeable increase in poke (torque) but the turbo fan kills off a lot of the engine breaking. Fuel consumption went down a couple of mpg too.
Then, after reading the hypermiler stuff on the net, I started adding 100mls of acetone (ebay again!) to 45 liters of petrol. Result, quieter engine, even more poke and better fuel consumption!
So total cost for hardware was 120 quid and it is like getting a different engine with better fuel consumption!
It will not be difficult to demod, as everything fits on without modifying the existing hardware.
The power delivery is continuous and very smooth, the engine idle speed is reduced and the acetone produces no fume problems in the exhaust.
The science of acetone is very car dependant, but the results on the GX are very impressive. It causes the engine to lean out the mixture by fooling the sensors into thinking there is unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust gases.
So maybe a bit cheaper than selling the car? Or modifying the ECU with an increase in fuel consumption.
I just recently joined this forum, but have only driven Subarus since 1996, so am on number six now!
Old 22 June 2011, 10:33 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

making it run lean !!!!! why bother it will go bang ...
Old 22 June 2011, 10:49 PM
Slugmeister
Scooby Regular

Default lean and mean

From a thermodynamic point only 25% of the fuel potential energy in a petrol engine appears as power at the flywheel (40% for diesel) so there is a volkswagen TSI 1.4 engine that produces high power and good fuel economy. Matbe that is running a little bit lean too! Lolz!
Did that go bang yet?
Old 23 June 2011, 04:40 PM
tarbert
Scooby Newbie

i was just enquiring because some 1 told me because it was the sport model u wouldnt have to do alot cheers for the help guys but it looks like a turbo engine it is !!
Old 23 June 2011, 04:54 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarbert
i was just enquiring because some 1 told me because it was the sport model u wouldnt have to do alot cheers for the help guys but it looks like a turbo engine it is !!
think you misunderstand, sell the car and buy a turbo. There is a lot more to it than just the engine !