creeking & knocking

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2011, 02:02 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy creeking & knocking

Hi All

Since owning the scoob nearly a year now & getting all the engine running well with a uk sti 8 low mileage i'm now trying to work out a few other issues.

Creeking -

this is when i am turning there is a weird creeking from the hub area drivers side (i think) & i am pretty sure that i am having abs sensor issues as 3 times in past week it has made a very wierd clattering noise again from same area but wheel/discs/pads etc are all in place & tight. Does it sound like i need new front hubs? they have done a mix of mile/kms 144,000

Knocking -

this is coming from the rear not exhaust/diff related, is there a suspension part that can cause this like a worn top mount or worn struts? handling seems ok & can not see a snapped spring

Thanks

Tim
Old 16 June 2011, 02:16 PM
dpn
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the creeking unless it is at very low speeds on full lock and in reverse where it would be the diff but this is normal. If you put the DCCD to fully back or apply handbrake to one click this will solve this problem. Sorry if this isn't what you meant!

The rear knock is the usual shock problem losing lubrication, can be fixed short term by re-lubing or replacing shocks but usually fail again within 2 years. I'm afraid coilovers are the answer here. BC's are good and a good price £649 from Scoobyworld with rear extenders.

Hope this helps. I'm not as clued up as others on here but if it is either of the things I have mentioned they both applied to my 06 STi Hawk
Old 16 June 2011, 02:51 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

The rear knock is likely to be rear suspension shocks, worth getting these checked as it is quite common.
Old 16 June 2011, 03:11 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If your ABS sensor is shot you would likely have a warning light.
When one of my my sensors needed replacing the ABS light came on, but there was no creaking - just a bit of judder under braking - have you checked your disc guards?

You also don't say if this happens when driving fast, slow, when turning, when braking etc.
Anything else will be helpful, but it's always difficult to diagnose problems like this without actually seeing the car and experiencing it first hand.
Let us know how you get on

Last edited by MrNoisy; 16 June 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 16 June 2011, 03:14 PM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

not sure on the knocking but the creeking could be the CV joint, mine was the same
Old 16 June 2011, 10:56 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies people.

as for the creeking, yes it is when turning & does it at all speeds but mainly when slow & turning forward or back. The clattering did it once when i was pulling out of the end of my road just getting upto 30 for say 2 secs then stopped then as i started to carry on it did it again, then i pulled over & looked but could see nothing. Carried on very carefully & it did not do it again for nearly a week, then just as i was pulling into my parents house it did it again as i was coming to a stop.

Rear knocking sounds like a worn struts, will look into getting new & have them inspected.
Old 16 June 2011, 11:05 PM
cooperjohn
Scooby Regular

track rod ends