Simtek ECU problem......

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2011, 03:59 PM
Grant736
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek ECU problem......

Hey guys,
Well i am now the proud new owner of a STI Type r 98 BUT i have got a problem.

I have got a folder of receipts and i know it's got a Simtek ECU fitted and mapped by Alen Jeffery in 09/2009. But..... When i take the car up to about 5/6000rpm i get a flashing "check engine" light????

Now i have e-mailed a few mappers and done some back ground work on it and it seams to be a signal to say i am getting Det/knocking???

Now where do i go from here?? I want to sort it ASAP really. HELP

I am in norwich and i guess it's going to have to be a Simtek dealer who can sort this problem. I have phoned Alen Jefferys and they said come down but it is 350miles each way......

Any suggestions would really be a great help and thanks in advance.
Old 12 May 2011, 04:18 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Are you using the correct fuel that it is mapped for? For example was it mapped for VPower, Super unleaded, unleaded, methanol mix etc? You need to determine what fuel it was mapped for and use that as it could be causing the "det".
Old 12 May 2011, 04:45 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other mods has the car had?
Is it definately flashing not constantly on?

Simon (aka Jolly Green Monster http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/) and Duncan (Racedynamix http://www.racedynamix.com/) both travel about the country so may be worth speaking to them.

But as scubbay suggested ask Alan what fuel it's mapped for
Old 12 May 2011, 04:48 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As above is it flashing constantly or you getting a steady CEL? If its flashing constantly then it may be detting, however if its on constant after certain revs then it may just be a shift light.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 12 May 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12 May 2011, 05:16 PM
Grant736
Scooby Newbie

Yes it is defiantly flashing as i hear a steady light maybe a shift light. Yea good call, i am just trying to get hold of alen again to ask but i am unsure if i have been re-mapped in the 2 and bit years??

Its had
Steve Simpson
Fully Forged Engine,Pistons,Crank,Bearings,Cometic Head Gaskets,Ported and Polished V4 Type r Heads,New Exedy Clutch Kit Fitted with Lightened Flywheel,Lateral 750cc Injectors,Hybrid Front Mount Intercooler, Walbro Fuel Pump,Sti Short Ratio Gearbox,3"Kakimoto Exhaust with Japspeed Decat Downpipe, TSL Tubular Unequal length Headers Heat Wrapped, IC Waterspray,Blitz Cold Air Induction Kit with Samco Hoses,Forge BOV.

Thanks for the quick replys :-) I have sent (jollygreenmonster) an e-mail and spoke to duncan today :-)
Old 12 May 2011, 05:32 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Just dont give it any boost for now or
Old 12 May 2011, 06:19 PM
Grant736
Scooby Newbie

OK, cool hope i get it sorted soon will let you know how i get on!! Also Is there any simtek dealers/mappers in the norfolk area or within reasonable travel distance??

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2011, 07:38 PM
GBSTI
Scooby Newbie

Default Simtek

The simtek I had installed and mapped by bob Rawle doesn't have a shift light flashing cel light. The cel light Is used to warn of det so if the cel flashes I lift off no matter!! Best get it checked!! What fuel were you running?
Old 12 May 2011, 07:42 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GBSTI
The simtek I had installed and mapped by bob Rawle doesn't have a shift light flashing cel light. The cel light Is used to warn of det so if the cel flashes I lift off no matter!! Best get it checked!! What fuel were you running?
Old age i guess, must have forgot!
Old 12 May 2011, 07:50 PM
GBSTI
Scooby Newbie

I didn't know until Bob told me
when we were out mapping!! Everyday is a school day!!
Old 12 May 2011, 10:28 PM
Grant736
Scooby Newbie

I am running it on the tesco 99. I am trying to get hold of the previous owner to find out what it was mapped on. What are the symptoms i should notice if it is det?? just the flashing light?? Thanks lads
Old 12 May 2011, 10:32 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grant736
I am running it on the tesco 99. I am trying to get hold of the previous owner to find out what it was mapped on. What are the symptoms i should notice if it is det?? just the flashing light?? Thanks lads
Oil on windscreen or throwing a rod. Just put the best in which is Vpower & maybe some octane booster and see how it goes.
Old 12 May 2011, 10:51 PM
Grant736
Scooby Newbie

will do buddy thanks for the advice hope she is ok lol
Old 12 May 2011, 11:03 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure Simon told me when he mapped mine that you can choose if you want the light to flash on detecting knock or you can set it as a shift light. Mine comes on when I really open the taps but I'm not sure if it flashes (det) or just lights up (shift light). I'll check next time I'm driving it.

I may be wrong on being able to choose, it may just flash on knock & come on solid when its the shift light. You choose at what revs the shift light comes on.

Last edited by OcTag3n; 12 May 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12 May 2011, 11:04 PM
scoobsy
Scooby Regular

i had a ver-6 sti with a simtek mapped by steve simpson and he'd set the check engine light to flash at 6000rpm as a shift light
Old 13 May 2011, 07:31 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobsy
i had a ver-6 sti with a simtek mapped by steve simpson and he'd set the check engine light to flash at 6000rpm as a shift light
What happens if you get det at 6000 ?

Personally I switch off the change light on all simteks I map so that the check engine light only flashes on det which has been set according to the level that I hear det on the det cans when mapping. That way, if there is det the light flashes and there is no confusion as to why.

I am sure Martyn at Engine Tuner does similar Grant so I would be chatting to them with regards to getting the car down there for them to check or modify it or speak to another mapper with ref to remapping it and setting it up for how you want it and what fuel you use.

fyi - I am based in east anglia
Old 13 May 2011, 08:29 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamix
Personally I switch off the change light on all simteks I map so that the check engine light only flashes on det which has been set according to the level that I hear det on the det cans when mapping. That way, if there is det the light flashes and there is no confusion as to why.

Thats it exactly what I have had done with mine. I think the shift light confuses things. If I see that flicker of the red of the check engine light out of the corner of my eye, then I know exactly what it is and lift off imediately.
Old 13 May 2011, 05:15 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Yeah it could be a shift light, have heard about that being an option with the simtek
Old 13 May 2011, 05:46 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

What happens if you get det at 6000 ?

I am sure Martyn at Engine Tuner does similar Grant so I would be chatting to them with regards to getting the car down there for them to check or modify it or speak to another mapper with ref to remapping it and setting it up for how you want it and what fuel you use.

fyi - I am based in east anglia
So now when my check engine light flashes it is detting?? Not a shift light?? You told me that you didnt hear any det on your cans at all when mapping my car, But my light is flashing at high revs when having some fun, so it obviously is detting, but i assume this is because the car was never finished mapping wise by you??? Is this right?? Needless to say im taking it very easy now until its sorted!
Old 13 May 2011, 06:04 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
So now when my check engine light flashes it is detting?? Not a shift light?? You told me that you didnt hear any det on your cans at all when mapping my car, But my light is flashing at high revs when having some fun, so it obviously is detting, but i assume this is because the car was never finished mapping wise by you??? Is this right?? Needless to say im taking it very easy now until its sorted!
Correct Steve - the map was never 100% finished because your clutch was gone. There was no det at all during the mapping sessions but things can change with the car such as modifications or change of fuel or things not working correctly ...
Old 13 May 2011, 06:11 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

just like to say my car has been flash free every since i let ducan map it, as it use to flash every now again with the old mapper andy vey, in fact my car has never felt so good since ducan got his hands on it top job ducan
Old 13 May 2011, 06:42 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Correct Steve - the map was never 100% finished because your clutch was gone. There was no det at all during the mapping sessions but things can change with the car such as modifications or change of fuel or things not working correctly ...
I havnt modded anythng else other than having new clutch, flywheel and associated fluid changes a couple of other bits but nothing that would affect that side of things, the only thng i can think of is perhaps some old fuel still knocking about, or similar, but saying that it has been filled with nothng but v power yesterday and today, so not sure about my thinking there?? Any suggestions as to what might not be working correctly in order to cause the knock at top end?? Fuel pump was new a year or so ago and is walbro 255lph so dont think it would be that.
Old 13 May 2011, 08:07 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah cool, another Type R owner in the Norwich area. I always feel all alone as I never see another Type R when I take mine out!

Definately speak to JGM. If you do decide to get him down, can you let me know please? He may be able to do a deal if we both need a remap.

After Thursday next week though I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks.
Old 15 May 2011, 09:59 AM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify;
CEL can be set both as Shift light and Det warning. Det will cause CEL to flash, but at shift point light stays on constantly until revs drop below shift point.

Steve
Old 15 May 2011, 10:26 AM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that mine doesn't flash at all but it comes on solid when the revs hit 6 or 7k.
Old 15 May 2011, 03:19 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

To answer Duncan's query about det on or above the shift point, the det warning will always take priority over the shift light.So if you are above the shift point with the CEL on constant and then det occurs the CEL will go into "flash" mode.