Notices

Baffled sump

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2011, 01:39 PM
tayscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled sump

After a baffled sump for a 2.5,anyones better than the others?
Old 25 April 2011, 02:48 PM
killerbmotorsport
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replied to your PM, but figured Id share if anyone else is interested....

Our sump uses a flow through design (similar to the newer 2.5 STi and twin scroll sump) unlike the older horizontal baffled styles. We've found the horizontal baffles to be a double edged sword and not an idea design on the Subaru Boxer engine layout. Similarly we've seen no benefits to available flat baffles like other pieces available.

The Subaru engine will pool oil in the outside head during cornering. Think of a cornering load the same as tipping your engine. The oil pools in the head facing the outside of the corner (or the head that's tipped downward on an engine stand/dyno). Under severe cornering, yes a flat baffle will help oil from sloshing out of the pan, BUT oil flowing from the other head can go across this baffle instead of into the bottom of the sump. Horizontal baffles also increase the amount of oil that can pool in each head before flowing back into the bottom of the sump.

Our replacement oil Baffle Windage tray and our sump's baffle are designed to direct oil downward to the sump wether it's coming from the crank or flowing back from the heads. We see spill-out as much less an issue because the heads pool oil long before oil begins to spill out of the sump.

A lot of the currently available baffling and oiling technology for Subarus are assumptions carried over from other makes/models, but just because those concepts work well on a V8, straight-6, etc., doesn't mean they are ideal on our Subaru boxer engines. Don't get me wrong here, some products are better than others and most are better than the factory bits. Our products come from a 'what's the problem, why and test, test, test philosophy'. We run CAD simulations, dyno testing and track testing to verify a design before its release.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions, and I'll try to do my best not to ramble on so much

Best regards,

Chris
Killer B Motorsport