Notices

STI Variable valve timing

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2002, 06:02 PM
alfriedesq
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know HOW this works - is it a two position or a variable setting - doe the ecu handle it or a seperate box ?? Can a stand alone General purpose Output be configured to run it ?? Thanks
Old 19 April 2002, 01:31 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It adjusts the opening and closing timing of the intake valves optimally by continuously changing the phase angle of the camshaft sprocket relative to the camshaft.

The ECM controls the optimal cam angle relative to the crank angle by making reference to the engine speed, throttle opening and other relevant parameters.

Under control of the ECM, the oil flow control valve moves its spool to switch the hydraulic passage to/from the advance and retard chambers that are formed in the camshaft sprocket to change continuously the phase angle between the camshaft sprocket and camshaft.

In response to an advance signal from the ECM, the oil flow control valve moves its spool such that hydraulic pressure is applied to the advance chamber in the camshaft sprocket. The sprocket is then turned in the direction in which its phase angle advances relative to the camshaft.

Mike.
Old 19 April 2002, 01:46 AM
alfriedesq
Scooby Regular

WOW !! Thanks for the reply - I wonder if the General Purpose Output of the TEC II by Electomotive could be configured to operate the hydrolic actuator - - the TEC's GPO is a duty cycle adjustable fully mapable output

If NOT - then it looks like I'll have to adapt the JDM wiring harness and ECU that I'm getting which will prove to be very time consuming and nightmarish as I have no wiring diagram !!!!

Thanks so much for your time and advice - it seems that getting the stock STI ecu hooked up will be important !