Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2011, 09:44 AM
Gandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Really Need Help...With Mirrors

Hi guys......
Yet again I need to ask for your help.
Ive just changed my Standard Blobeye Wrx Side Mirrors for Jdm Sti Blobeye as they offer the folding in option. Ive installed the switch by the handbrake, but a problem as come up as the plug coming from the car as its different than the ones now coming from the mirrors.
Everyone has said this should have been plug and play...But their Not!!!
What can I do to get these to work?
I dont want to start cutting blocks off until I know from someone that the wires from my car will work the folding option now the switch is there to do so.
I really need the help here as No one can give an answer or are worried about doing the job.
Thanks Guys
Gandy
Old 19 April 2011, 10:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Piece of p*ss.

You DO need some of the terminals that are in the connectors though, mine came off a scrapper, it was actually a Leggy. I cut off the terminals from it with 6" or so of wire, then, using a sharp point, removed them by depressing the rear tang, in the warmth of my own kitchen.

There are two types, one for the switch, one for the mirror block. The latter are slightly bigger.

So: are the plastic connectors able to mate?
If not, then yes, one side will have to be removed to fit one that does mate. Or both sides replaced with a new set if you can't find one that DOES mate, see later.

If they mate, but the pins are wrong, then you simply need to see where the new pins need to go, and insert them, leaving a bit of wire hanging out. That's what I had to do: my mirrors had FIVE wires, the plugs on the car loom, only three. Plus there were TWO new terminals needed at the switch, you can see which ones off the switch itself. Do the same there, putting the pins in place, leave the wire hanging.

Now use a multimeter or PREFERABLY a circuit tester, to find which wire AT THE SWITCH is live when the switch is set to CLOSE the mirrors. The other one will be live when the switch is set to OPEN them. Mark these two.

Depending if you HAVE five wires at the end of the loom by the mirror or not, split the two wires at the switch into four, (solder and heatshrink).

Run one pair temporoarily (one open, one close), to each mirror block, and make temporary connections at one side, just twist the wires. Check if it DOES open when you choose open, and DOES close when you choose close. If it does the opposite, just reverse the two wires.

Do the same with the other side mirror. Mark the wires to be connected, run them out of site and make connections permanently, solder and heatshrink again.

That's it: the hardest part for me was getting the wires from inside the car footwell to inside the door.

IF the connectors don't mate, and you can't get hold of a half that WILL mate, then try here: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...connectors.php

You can either use the Mate N' Lock or the Mini connectors, they come WITH all pins male and female.

You'd have to cut off your old ones, after drawing a diagram to show what wire went where, solder the wires to the new pins, insert pins and away you go. Again, trial and error, one side at a time, to get the mirrors to both do as they should, make permanent connections when you are satisfied.

Looking at the OLD connectors can show you what wire needs to mate with which, and there will be two extra on the new mirror terminal block connector.

If you have probs, PM me and I'll try and help further, but it really is harder to explain than to do.
Old 19 April 2011, 10:46 AM
Gandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info mate....Very Grateful to you...
I will have a look and let you know.
But something tells me that I will probs be coming back to you.
Cheers
Old 19 April 2011, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Will be back around 2030 tonight, working from 3pm.