Notices

HELP please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2011, 12:20 AM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP please!!!!!

ive got a import v4 sti wagon, ive scoured the market place for hours and hours looking at different parts i could use to uprate my car but quite frankly i dont hav a clue what im looking at or what would fit. it is completley standard atm. the parts im looking for are as follows
  1. dump valve or bov
  2. FMIC with pipes
  3. airfilter
  4. fog light covers
  5. front splitter
  6. silicone hose kit
  7. de-cat
if youve got any of the above parts or anything else that may tickle my fancy then pm me, ive got money waiting

thankyou
Old 31 March 2011, 04:59 AM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

check out the for sale or full car breaking section as there is loads of parts on there
Old 31 March 2011, 08:48 AM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

a really wouldnt bother with a front mount m8, bit overkill imo
Old 31 March 2011, 10:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott STi V4
ive got a import v4 sti wagon, ive scoured the market place for hours and hours looking at different parts i could use to uprate my car but quite frankly i dont hav a clue what im looking at or what would fit. it is completley standard atm. the parts im looking for are as follows
  1. dump valve or bov
  2. FMIC with pipes
  3. airfilter
  4. fog light covers
  5. front splitter
  6. silicone hose kit
  7. de-cat
if youve got any of the above parts or anything else that may tickle my fancy then pm me, ive got money waiting

thankyou
1. Leave the one you have on: it's what the car was DESIGNED to run. Changing it can cause it to run badly, and is proven to cause borewash with the resultant wear

2. Why? Unless you are going to upgrade the power, it's not a good idea, and can lead to a LOSS of performance.

3. Use an STi panel filter, or similar. DO NOT use an inductiuon kit!

4. Plenty of people make them. DRM, HT AUtos.

5. As above, look on e-bay, then look at individual companies' stuff.

6. Does it NEED new hoses? Very little gains unless it does, for large outlay
7. Only do this if you are CERTAIN you can get it through the MoT. Otherwise look at Sports CATs.

Every time you do anything that involves the engine, get the map tweaked. If you don't, it could end in tears, expensive ones too

Not sure about the STi, but the UK cars from that era can't have their ecu mapped, it needs an aftermarket one: more expense.
Old 31 March 2011, 10:44 AM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

u talk alot of sense mate!!! i had all these big ideas in my head and got all excited but now im back down to earth. ill check those companies out for the fog covers and splitter tho. if i were to want extra power for under a grand, what would you spend your hard earned on??
Old 31 March 2011, 10:57 AM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

get it rolling roaded to find out what it is producing at the moment should cost under £100 for that then you know where you are starting from bhp wise then how much more power you want .look at bigger turbo and a deccent remap for a start but remember more power means uprating the brakes and posibly the handling aswell .
Old 31 March 2011, 11:11 AM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

what turbo would be a direct replacement fot the unit ive got on at standard? and where would you suggest for a remap? i live in yorkshire
Old 31 March 2011, 11:13 AM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

have a look in the traders section a lot of the remappers will come to you to map your car .not sure what turbo you have on your car
Old 31 March 2011, 11:15 AM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

okay thanks alot for advice
Old 31 March 2011, 01:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott STi V4
u talk alot of sense mate!!! i had all these big ideas in my head and got all excited but now im back down to earth. ill check those companies out for the fog covers and splitter tho. if i were to want extra power for under a grand, what would you spend your hard earned on??
First, find out if the ecu CAN be mapped.

THEN contact some of the people on here who know what they are doing: Harvey Smith, David O'Brian, Alan Jeffery, Mark at Lateral, are but a few.

They will advise as to how to spend your cash best for the best bang for bucks. Hopefully NOT a REAL bang!
Old 31 March 2011, 01:50 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcazar has hit the nail on the head re the above as far as i know the ecu cant be mapped so you would need a new ecu,the turbo standard should be a vf24 at least it is on a saloon unless a wagon is different.

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 31 March 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 31 March 2011, 04:36 PM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

Even the import sti ecu can't be mapped? What ecu would you suggest I buy?
Old 31 March 2011, 04:50 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Im no expert on these and others will know better,but a import cant be mapped as far as i can tell a lot of people go for a simtek ecu.There is a jap mines ecu you can fit on the cheap but there made for 100 plus ron fuel and engines can go bang if you use them.
Old 31 March 2011, 04:57 PM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

Okay, ill have a look round for 1 of them.............probably a dent in the wallet tho aren't they?
Old 31 March 2011, 05:00 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apexi-ECU-w-FC...item230f7c8c4f Heres a apexi,thats also fitted.
Old 31 March 2011, 05:07 PM
Scott STi V4
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good piece of kit. I better get saving
Old 31 March 2011, 05:20 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

jaysus mate, take a step back and relax will ya. you have a very competent fast car in an STi4. enjoy it for a while, get to know it, learn to drive it properly, race all the wee lads round your estate. Then, if you haven't become another statistic, and you feel you can handle more power find yourself a good subaru master technician, someone who has built a few engines, someone who knows their way around a subaru. ask them what they feel should be done to your car based on how much money you have to spend. believe me when i tell you that some classics have had the price of a small house spent on them through development work and various upgrades to more power.

Are you prepared to be bankrupted? are you ready for the running costs, did you think it was just bolt on bits to make it go faster? these cars need looked after, need services regularly, need expensive super unleaded, need expensive oil and if you modify them to any degree they need even more looking after.

take it from someone who has spent a small fortune on his classic subaru. the buying of the car is not the problem. its the upkeep and the modification thats the bitch.
Old 31 March 2011, 05:26 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
jaysus mate, take a step back and relax will ya. you have a very competent fast car in an STi4. enjoy it for a while, get to know it, learn to drive it properly, race all the wee lads round your estate. Then, if you haven't become another statistic, and you feel you can handle more power find yourself a good subaru master technician, someone who has built a few engines, someone who knows their way around a subaru. ask them what they feel should be done to your car based on how much money you have to spend. believe me when i tell you that some classics have had the price of a small house spent on them through development work and various upgrades to more power.

Are you prepared to be bankrupted? are you ready for the running costs, did you think it was just bolt on bits to make it go faster? these cars need looked after, need services regularly, need expensive super unleaded, need expensive oil and if you modify them to any degree they need even more looking after.

take it from someone who has spent a small fortune on his classic subaru. the buying of the car is not the problem. its the upkeep and the modification thats the bitch.
This is a good point scoobys can soak it up quicker than the mrs
Old 31 March 2011, 05:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alcazar
1. Leave the one you have on: it's what the car was DESIGNED to run. Changing it can cause it to run badly, and is proven to cause borewash with the resultant wear

2. Why? Unless you are going to upgrade the power, it's not a good idea, and can lead to a LOSS of performance.

3. Use an STi panel filter, or similar. DO NOT use an inductiuon kit!

4. Plenty of people make them. DRM, HT AUtos.

5. As above, look on e-bay, then look at individual companies' stuff.

6. Does it NEED new hoses? Very little gains unless it does, for large outlay
7. Only do this if you are CERTAIN you can get it through the MoT. Otherwise look at Sports CATs.

Every time you do anything that involves the engine, get the map tweaked. If you don't, it could end in tears, expensive ones too

Not sure about the STi, but the UK cars from that era can't have their ecu mapped, it needs an aftermarket one: more expense.
Well that saved me a lot of typing +1 good advice

How many miles has it got on the clock for a start?

If you feel the need to go modding to to suspension and braking and a good set of tyres will make you car faster inthe real world.

The engine is already producing 140bhp per litre so is in a high state of tune, combine that with an older higher mileage and you are looking at potential blow up or reliability issues unles you rebuild that the same time.

You will need to change the ECU if you want to mod for more power other than 5-10bhp here and there for an exhaust or such. an FMIC is pointless without a remap as it will leave the car really laggy due to the increased pipework and the ecu knowing nothing about it.

Last edited by The Zohan; 31 March 2011 at 06:08 PM.