Notices

Help needed what could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2011, 06:31 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed what could this be?

I just went for a quick drive to tesco, parked up and on returning to my car i noticed oil all over my windscreeen and on the top of my scoop and bonnet aswell as over my front bumper, can oil if get on the window or the bonet if it exploded? i have checked and there is nothing showing on the engine. i checked under the car aswell and there was a small like splat under the engine on the heat shield cover on the passenger side.

Now has this just been thrown on my car? has something gone bang? i seriously have no idea.

about 10 mins before this happened i went over a pot hole which hit my front splitter and broke it and may have hit the underneath of the car i dont know but the splitter is in bits could this be related? the sump or something? i just cant see how even if the sump went i why i would have oil on the windscreen and the bonnet and this happened when i was away from the car.

I may just be jumping to conclusions but so many things have gone wrong lately i seem to be worried somethings going 24/7 only had the car back 3 weeks since having the headgasket done which was £1600 so dont wnat anything else to go as justfed up with it now.

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by rumsey; 05 March 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05 March 2011, 08:22 PM
master yoda
Scooby Regular

Hi, Just reading ur post, Have you lifted the bonnet and had a nose around, If there is oil on the top of your Engine it's quite possible that it could be from the turbo oil feed as that sits high (above the Eng). Or even a breather which also sits on top of the Engine, these could have worked their way loose or not have been fitted correctly after a re-build and a hard knock could have possibly moved them, The sump itself sits too high to get damaged unless the car is extremely low, the cars design for the Engine was for Max weight distribution and protection for it's rally pedigree and sits high, Other than this I would return the car to the repairer as it's your right and it would be under a repairer's guarantee. Hope this helps and good luck. Don't use it until you find the leak to avoid any further damage and just make sure that the oil came from your car and not a car you were following.

Last edited by master yoda; 05 March 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05 March 2011, 08:27 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

yes i have checked under the bonet and there is nothing at all there. the car was actually parked at tesco at the time so maybe kids or another cars. it was little splats all over the show, tiny bits on the windscreen, the bonnet, the scoop, the front bumper and alot on the front splitter. still very weird though
Old 05 March 2011, 09:19 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I would say it was probably a car in front of you by the description, especially if there is no evidence on the engine.
Old 05 March 2011, 09:49 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

it was parked but the front was facingoutwards so it could of come of another car i suppose
Old 06 March 2011, 08:56 AM
master yoda
Scooby Regular

It's always best to be sure that you've checked it thoughrally, just in chase as you still have some sort of re-build warranty and wouldn't be covered if there was a problem and you kept driving. But let's hope it was just some other car!