Which coolant to use for newage JDM

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2011, 10:25 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which coolant to use for newage JDM

Hi all

Further to some recent help from the members here, I was hoping for some more advice!

As above, can anyone recommend what coolant to use for MY03 JDM STI? Need to get a full service done and just need to work out which coolant I should use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Shirag
Old 22 February 2011, 08:57 AM
The king
Scooby Regular

The red one. Just make damn shure you dont mix it with the others, flush your system good, and dont forget the overflow tank, or it will clog up. There is a blank type now as well, but I dont know anything about it.
Old 22 February 2011, 09:46 AM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Would there be a problem mixing different coolant? Sometimes I,ve had to mix them when Ive been unable to get the same type with no probs . Steve.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:47 AM
The king
Scooby Regular

Only some.. Blue/green can be mixed, and I believe the blank one can be mixed with them as well.

Red though can NOT be mixed, it clogges up and as you can imagine, this will cause some terrible consequenses.
Old 22 February 2011, 01:30 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The king
The red one. Just make damn shure you dont mix it with the others, flush your system good, and dont forget the overflow tank, or it will clog up. There is a blank type now as well, but I dont know anything about it.
Thanks King. Just one question though, what is the name of the red one, or in fact any of the suggested ones?
Old 22 February 2011, 01:30 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motul Inugel
Old 22 February 2011, 01:41 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Motul Inugel
Thanks Rickya. I have done a search and there are a couple of different ones. Any idea on which one would be the best to choose? Also, how much would I need?

Also, as you have a JDM (I am assuming you have a DCCD box), what would you recomend as a good gear box and diff oil? I have been told Millers Oils CRX 75w90 NT Competition full synthetic transmission oil is a good one for both.

Thanks, appreciate your input
Old 22 February 2011, 02:29 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motul Inugel Optimal - its orange colour. IIRC you'l need 7 litres so just get 2 x 5 litres. I got mine from Opie Oils, who can also recommend you a gearbox and diff oil. There are different ones that people prefer, I have used Millers before (cant remember which one now) & Silkolene Silktran Sync 75w 90 for gearbox & rear diff. Opie IIRC say you can use this for gearbox & diff though some prefer to add a couple of tea spoons of LSD additive to it for the diff.
Old 22 February 2011, 03:11 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Comma concentrated pink coolant is good. The Halfords brand has a 50% mix of water & is £1 more.

http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.p...oducts_id=1415

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 22 February 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22 February 2011, 04:10 PM
The king
Scooby Regular

Theres no simple answer for the correct blend, but for the average joe, you should blend so that you are safe at the lowest temeratures you experience below freezing point. Its not recomended to blend for to low temps, because the coolant fluid is terrible at leading heat. More coolant = poor performance from your coolant system. Those real hard core run water only with special additives, but ofcourse, they cant use that in wintertime.

Dont know the names for them, just the colour, haha I use comma, its cheap.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:32 PM
SP STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Motul Inugel Optimal - its orange colour. IIRC you'l need 7 litres so just get 2 x 5 litres. I got mine from Opie Oils, who can also recommend you a gearbox and diff oil. There are different ones that people prefer, I have used Millers before (cant remember which one now) & Silkolene Silktran Sync 75w 90 for gearbox & rear diff. Opie IIRC say you can use this for gearbox & diff though some prefer to add a couple of tea spoons of LSD additive to it for the diff.
Thanks Rickya. I went for the one you suggested from Opie Oils. I also got Millers CRX 75W90 for gearbox and oil as it was recommended by a friend.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice and suggestions.

Shirag