Notices

First mods?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2011, 06:46 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mods?

Although I have had my sti type uk bugeye for a few years now, this year I decided against getting a new car as anything else is going to be a disappointment short of spending mega-mega bucks so I have wondered about upgrading mine.

However, I don't have a clue when it comes to modifications and was wondering where to start? I would like a quicker response and extra bhp?

After all, why not have the icing on the cake too and eat both

Advice will be gratefully received
Old 21 February 2011, 07:58 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

scoobyworks do a performance package 1000 pound for ecutek remap,fuel pump,decat downpipe,panel filter,and backbox plus rr mine made 320bhp 317torque.depends how much u wanna spend and how far u wanna go....mine feels more responsive and spools up so much quicker with the decat downpipe...hope this helps...
Old 21 February 2011, 09:22 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Was that on top of a prodrive pack? Does it cause problems with the MOT without the one of the cats?

Where are scoobyworks, I think it is more likely that my nearest choice would be scoobyclinic as I am in Hull?

It helps greatly as you have detailed the items to change first and remap.

All those I have talked to (that have never had a scooby) all say get a big dump valve and that's where their knowledge ends. I clearly know even less LOL.

Thanks!
Old 22 February 2011, 08:32 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Morning,

I lived in Hull most of my life... with your Prodrive exhaust and a re-map you should get 330 bhp, more if you are lucky. I would change the fuel pump just incase...

IMHO get the best mapper you can afford, I use Simon ( JGM ) a.k.a the "Jolly Green Monster" he's likely to be back in Sheffield some time soon...

HTH

dunx
Old 22 February 2011, 06:32 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Ive been looking for impreza,s rnd hull for the last 2 weeks,as i work in hull but live in withernsea,not seen many mind,cant be looking hard enough.
Old 22 February 2011, 08:14 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dunc. Do you know anything about the garage on old hedon road that do work on quite a few scoobies? Called A1 something? Don't think they re-map though LOL!

Originally Posted by warren m
Ive been looking for impreza,s rnd hull for the last 2 weeks,as i work in hull but live in withernsea,not seen many mind,cant be looking hard enough.
There are quite a few, I have seen many like my blue bugeye. Not sure if they still meet and their site is gone but there is a local scooby club that met on a thursday at the pub opposite waitrose in willerby and in the humber bridge park car park on a sunday morning once a month? Hullscoobs it was called. I am sure somebody here will know more if you are interested, plus I want to know too!

Bet you enjoy the drive home, nice piece of road in places

Last edited by Mikez; 22 February 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 22 February 2011, 08:54 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikez
Thanks Dunc. Do you know anything about the garage on old hedon road that do work on quite a few scoobies? Called A1 something? Don't think they re-map though LOL!

There are quite a few, I have seen many like my blue bugeye. Not sure if they still meet and their site is gone but there is a local scooby club that met on a thursday at the pub opposite waitrose in willerby and in the humber bridge park car park on a sunday morning once a month? Hullscoobs it was called. I am sure somebody here will know more if you are interested, plus I want to know too!

Bet you enjoy the drive home, nice piece of road in places
Always stuck behind about 8 cars in a line doing 30 in a 30,but when the 40mph comes up there still doing 30,this pisses me off,not been driving my car much,as im fortunate enough to have access to another car,only had the car a month,needs few things doing to it,getting there steady,would love to go to some meets,a friend of mine goes to one called nippon squad or summat like that,will keep an eye out for you mate,im usually on hedon rd or up on leads rd,i work behind the petrol station,my scoob is an 03 sti in silver.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:27 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warren m
Always stuck behind about 8 cars in a line doing 30 in a 30,but when the 40mph comes up there still doing 30,this pisses me off,not been driving my car much,as im fortunate enough to have access to another car,only had the car a month,needs few things doing to it,getting there steady,would love to go to some meets,a friend of mine goes to one called nippon squad or summat like that,will keep an eye out for you mate,im usually on hedon rd or up on leads rd,i work behind the petrol station,my scoob is an 03 sti in silver.
I am on the hedon rd every day up near craven st sth. a blue 02 bugeye sti.

not sure but the nippon meet might be at the same time at the bridge? my lad might know, he has an OTT import integra type r currently SORN in my drive :/. Quicker off the spot and higher top speed but the scoob creams it totally in between.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For extra BHP for the Bug STi it's hard to beat de-catting, changing the panel filter, making sure the fuel pump and plugs are up to the job and then going for an Open Source map.......

Open source is a lot cheaper than EcuTeK for mapping, the DENSO ECU you have is a walk over for a good open source mapper

Have a chat with Duncan at racedynamix

http://www.racedynamix.com/

Shaun
Old 23 February 2011, 07:52 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Was that on top of a prodrive pack? Does it cause problems with the MOT without the one of the cats?

Where are scoobyworks, I think it is more likely that my nearest choice would be scoobyclinic as I am in Hull?

All those I have talked to (that have never had a scooby) all say get a big dump valve and that's where their knowledge ends. I clearly know even less LOL.

Thanks!
there based loughbough leicestershire.....check there website there scoobyworld aswell if uve heard of um...mot u will be fine they keep the centre cat inplace for that,with the decat u will get a faster spool up,the sound of the car sounds great aswell...there really good and very cheap compared to most....
Old 23 February 2011, 07:56 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Thanks!
and no mine wasnt the ppp....mines 2004,265bhp sti there website tells u more of wat they do everythings done on the rollers...so u can be sure its mapped rite plusu get the read outs...before and afther which is nice as u can c how the car ran to how it does now
Old 23 February 2011, 08:00 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Evening I've been exiled in West Yorkshire for five years...

I know a very handy "lad" called Ben who does lots of work on Ev*'s over in South Cave... but he's been known to dirty his hands on a few Subarus.

The Thursday night meets are starting up again and will get busier as the daylight returns. I still have a few good friends over in Hull so you may see mine after my engine build...

dunx

P.S. My advice is OS map a car you aren't keeping BUT Ecutek one that's staying... got mine from Jordans nine years ago

Last edited by dunx; 23 February 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 23 February 2011, 08:10 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Evening I've been exiled in West Yorkshire for five years...

I know a very handy "lad" called Ben who does lots of work on Ev*'s over in South Cave... but he's been known to dirty his hands on a few Subarus.

The Thursday night meets are starting up again and will get busier as the daylight returns. I still have a few good friends over in Hull so you may see mine after my engine build...

dunx

P.S. My advice is OS map a car you aren't keeping BUT Ecutek one that's staying... got mine from Jordans nine years ago
They do say ,its never dull in hull,wouldnt mind seeing your car pal it looks like its had alot of coin spent on it,also wouldnt mind you having a look at my sti,as im no expert on subaru,s,always had honda,s never had a turbo,d 4wd,let us know if you are up this way some time.
Old 23 February 2011, 08:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I hate to think, over nine years it's almost Porsche money...

And it's tired of 2 bar so it's coming out at the weekend for a 2.1 build !

May be mobile in April so a run through to my old stomping ground will help the running-in mileage...

I now know just how skint I'm going to be this year

dunx

P.S. It's black; usually dirty and a touch drab... the car that is !
Old 23 February 2011, 11:11 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

thanks guys and i will try to get down to the ketch on a thursday, especially after it gets modded but have my sons wedding in 2 wk to get through first before I have the pennies. I can't wait to see the 500bhp when you get over.

My first scoob came from jordans too and only ever had to go back to buy front props, the only job required in 12y of scooby motoring.

Any of you ever come across the mugan type r? I have only driven it three times, a real beast that barely keeps it together. it has had to go SORN while my lad is away so I can't take it out, even to keep the discs clean and the battery topped

The guys in Darwen have offered a good package for another 60bhp and its a good time to do it as my exhaust got a advisory this time cos there was a split in one of the layers. This MOT biz with decating worries me somewhat though, I do not have a 'friendly' garage, but if I catch them when the boss is out the lads adore the car so who knows since they would adore it even more after mods?
Old 24 February 2011, 12:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You will more than likely met my "tame" MOT tester at "The Ketch"

dunx
Old 24 February 2011, 03:53 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Great, look forward to meeting you both. Tempted to go tonight but have a headlight out cos was sent the non-sti bulb set and am waiting for replacements.

Was going to upgrade the bugeyes to blue xenon and they didn't fit and had existing bulb blow the same day. Sod's law eh!

Anyone know what happened to hullscoobs website, its gone?
Old 24 February 2011, 05:17 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

One of me freinds going to that meet tonite at the ketch,i use the shell garage just off the roundabout for the v power,was thinking of going but dont know any of them and the subaru mite be the only one there.lol,think there.s alot of honda.s an stuff but think most are japanese cars.