Auto box

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2011, 08:19 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto box

People need some help as some may know i have a 2000 w reg forester stb

It's an auto and being that most bits a the same as an impreza I was looking for some help

The car won't go into park and for some crazy reason it won't release the key!!! Not sure if that is related but really strange

Basically i pulled up at home on thursday and went to pop it in park and it wouldn't go in, ended up leaving it in N switched it off and the key wouldn't come out got so fed up trying both I gave up and took the alarm fob off set t and left it till today to look at.

Car starts and drives but switch it off and it won't go in park or let go of the bloody key

Any ideas?
Old 06 February 2011, 10:57 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

well yep the key not coming out it because its not in park. Many auto's do that.. I assume it runs through all the other gears ok? just park is a problem Im not sure how the forester works but its worth checking the brake lights are working as a first. on many auto's if a brake signals not seen it wont alllow the car in or out of park
Old 06 February 2011, 07:03 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Hi mate thanks for that but

Well what can I say other then i am even more confused then I was. Had to use the car to day to go out for my brothers dinner. Started fine so away I went pulled up at the first set of lights and thought i would show my other half what was going on and yep still won't go in park or get the key out.

10 min later pulled up out side the bank to grab some cash and with habit foot on brake, hand on gear stick and pop straight into PARK!!! Switch off and key out!!! Working absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

Don't get me wrong chuffed to bits but have now lost all faith in the car, what should i do? Crack on or book it in to be looked at but if it's working will they be able to notice what might be wrong, don't want to waste money for the fun of it.

What you guys think
Old 06 February 2011, 07:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

mmm id suggest possible its the brake light switch playing around. had it on a few vw's
Old 06 February 2011, 07:11 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next time it does this try putting you foot on the brake before switching the engine off,then put the car into park & switch off.The key should come straight out. If you find you are still having a problem use the manual switch by the gear lever,which will allow the selector to move into P R N D 3 2 1 even if the engine is on/off.