Notices

Removing side skirts on a MY00

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 08:11 AM
Max Rebo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have any tips on how to get the side skirts off on a MY00. Mine are black at the moment but I want to colour code them.
Old 11 April 2002, 06:44 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Get the skirts sprayed with them on the car....
it will be better in the long run, the skirts screw on at each end, and then have plastic clips all the way along to hold them on.
they break every time!!!!!!!!! mask the car up and enjoy the fact that you havent got to super glue them back on
Rob
Old 11 April 2002, 07:53 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

The side skirts on my my00 are just held by self tapping bolts along the underside which can be removed then retightened easily with a socket spanner There is a plastic clip to undo just inside the front wheel arch but again is easy to remove and replace without causing problems. Perhaps difficulties are on the back bit - I've never fiddled with that.
Old 11 April 2002, 09:10 PM
munch
Scooby Regular

just be carefull, the rears come off as easily as fronts if you brake any clips buy new they are pence .much better job painted off
Old 11 April 2002, 09:30 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A large kerb will remove them ok..

Mine came off quite easily... if the bolts dont want to come out easily just pull slightly on the trim or put a screw driver behind the bolt head and remove... Replace the clips and bolts after though....

David
Old 12 April 2002, 12:53 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Recently had this job done on my MY00. There's a bolt in the front wheelarch, four or five bolts underneath the car on each half. Once these are undone, the sills are held on by 4 or 5 poppers/clips on each half - just pull towards you gently, starting at one end & they'll come off. I did this job in 15 minutes. The really tricky bit is doing the rear spats on the bumper - I thought they were going to be the really easy bit, they took me an hour! You need to get under the car & take a few clamps off & use a decent philips screwdriver to loosen the mounts. Easier said than done as mine had rusted together! If there was any bit that I was going to mask-up & do on the car, it would be these buggers! Having said all that, the car looks great - just don't think you can start this job at 7pm & have enough lighthours to finish, & make sure you've got a decent selection screwdrivers for the spats.