Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LPG conversion

Hi guys thinking about changing over to LGP
any one done it ,
whats the power like after
what do you get per gallon atm i get 20 to a gallon
is road tax cheaper due to lower emisions
weres best place or company to get it done (iam in nottingham)
what kind of price iam i looking at for conversion

thanks
Old 03 January 2011, 11:35 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beanys
Hi guys thinking about changing over to LGP
any one done it ,
whats the power like after
what do you get per gallon atm i get 20 to a gallon
is road tax cheaper due to lower emisions
weres best place or company to get it done (iam in nottingham)
what kind of price iam i looking at for conversion

thanks
Hi matey with LPG you will be have no lower MPG,but you will filling for cheaper(48L for £25-£30,with 48L LPG you will manage 260-280miles).
Tax is little bit cheaper on for LPG.
I'm now currently selling mine LPG kit,which is suited for Subaru and tomorrow will be removed from car,price for LPG kit is £600 and for fitting you will be looking for around £400-£600(i know LPGA approved installer here in London)
If you have any question,PM me
Here is link https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ther-cars.html
Old 04 January 2011, 01:14 PM
fawor
BANNED

Hi.
I have LPG conversion on my wrx 03 ppp .done in august.
after when i win auction on ebay im thinking 2weeks do it or not.
I never saw boxer engine with turbo on lpg.
It was experiment and it works.
it takes 3 litres more lpg then petrol on 100miles. power is noticeable down about 45bhp, a "kick" is around 700/min later then on petrol.on normal daily driving You dont feel it, No You feel it in pocket switch on petrol during one second or less if You need power in full.
I have 60l cylinder on my.Only one little problem,engine menagment light is on sometimes.
Its happend 2ice during 5 months. engine have to much air or to less lpg when cruising.
first itme 50miles/h 15min period and is on.
second fast driving around 60miles/h on roundabound-straight ,some lady drove from left hand side.breaking- take off side line,im driving around roundabound, push 3rd gear and the same to much air/to less lpg light is on.
I check it via Vag cable and reset Ecu with Learning View.nothing major.

I win auction on ebay for 720 (normal price 900). Company name LPG Wales in Cardiff.
http://www.lpgwales.com 900 brand New plus Your choice- in spare wheel space(up to 46litres in spare) or cylinder id like to have 70 but they havent in stock.
I cant say nothing about others but they provide very good quality service and only one day fitting.MY its 2nd subaru which they did first it was sti.
Im not sure about future with my car but on that moment Im happy with it.
over 60p diferrence between Tesco momentus 132p and lpg on bp station 69.9p
I saw some shell wit 82p for lpg but is still 50p against petrol.
road tax is cheaper around 15 or 10pounds. I pay 235 a year.
For people who live in london. after when You convert Your car on lpg take it to station for emission test, probably after it pass(Your car is co2 friendly) is no congestion charge for Your car,i mean You can drive in London centre without charge 8pounds daily.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:58 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

fawor
thank you very much for your help, i would like to get it from there but its a 3 hr drive , i carnt understand why In wales its cost 900-1000 but near me in nottingham thay want 1500+ vat, another thing thats puts me off is the filler cap on the body or bumper , were is your located mate
Old 04 January 2011, 07:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beanys
fawor
thank you very much for your help, i would like to get it from there but its a 3 hr drive , i carnt understand why In wales its cost 900-1000 but near me in nottingham thay want 1500+ vat, another thing thats puts me off is the filler cap on the body or bumper , were is your located mate
You can put filler cap,where you want(some guys have filler cap,where is registration number or near this)
Why is expensive at Nottingham?Probably this LPG company don't have rival/competition

If you have properly fitted and is tweaked like i have,on mine car have been dyno'ed and we are make on LPG less 10BHP,after tweaking map we are make same BHP.

Here is RR after fitting the LPG kit,at this time just standard nothing special,just standard JDM WRX

Jura

Last edited by jura11; 04 January 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:33 PM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

sorry to crash but i'm also deliberating to get a convert.
Would you know if it would need a re-map on a 04 blob?
Old 04 January 2011, 11:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richard1522
sorry to crash but i'm also deliberating to get a convert.
Would you know if it would need a re-map on a 04 blob?
No matey,you don't need remap.
LPG ECU is separate from OEM ECU.Just your LPGA installer will map your car for LPG.
You will have "Petrol" ECU which is remapped to 300BHP and LPG ECU will run just 280bhp(or lower,depend on your LPGA installer).
Old 05 January 2011, 07:41 AM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

So it's very possible to do. Are there any long term considerations to take on board- wearing of valves and so forth? Also one last thing I'm running de-cat and bigger turbo, should that matter?
Thanks.
Old 05 January 2011, 03:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richard1522
So it's very possible to do. Are there any long term considerations to take on board- wearing of valves and so forth? Also one last thing I'm running de-cat and bigger turbo, should that matter?
Thanks.
Hi there for bigger power application(from 400BHP+) your LPGA installer can consider no 4 LPG injectors,but 8(these are different from Petrol injectors,you don't loose Petrol injectors),not 1 Vaporizer,but 2 Vaporizers(because Vaporizer have own limits,some are rated to 400BHP,but this is just few),about wearing the valves,you will need fit Flash Lube Kit,which help stop wearing valves and which lubricate engine,valves etc.
And about the de-cat and bigger turbo this no matter,everything is depend on your current BHP,standard system(4 LPG injectors and 1 Vaporizer) is good for 350-400BHP(maybe less,but this depend on LPG system and injectors,Vaporizer etc.)

Jura
Old 05 January 2011, 03:50 PM
Adsy
Scooby Newbie

i've just booked mine in for conversion on 17 Jan. I've done a fair bit of research and nearly all people (especially those with scoobs) have said it's great and they're very happy with it, just make sure you get the flushlube kit!

It shouldn't cost you any more on insurance as long as you have it done by an approved LPGA fitter.

Your tax (which should be the same as mine) will go down 20 quid. I thought it'd be much more than that, but 20 quid off of 240 (or is it 245) is a bloody joke!

LPG is apprently around 15% less efficient per unit of volume. so if i get 20 mpg (on a good day...) from petrol, i'm looking at around 17 mpg on LPG.

another important thing to consider is where the closest LPG seller is to you. If you have to make special trips of miles at a time just to fill up the gains quickly become tiny.

Most kits (that i've seen anyway) are good up to around 300BHP. you pay more if you have over that. although, and i'm not sure this is the case with all kits, but if you floor it you can set it so it will switch back to petrol for the extra power if needed. only seen that mentioned a couple of times though so not sure if thats just the premium kits.

oh, and it's only worth converting if you're planning on keeping the car for a while or if you do a fair bit of mileage. take a look at this lpg saving calculator to see how much you could save (it's only a rough idea though, depends on driving style, conditions etc...)
http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/savings_calculator.php

Hope this helps a bit. None of this is first hand, it's just from the research i've been doing. if anyone knows any better, please feel free to blow me away in flames
Old 05 January 2011, 04:00 PM
fawor
BANNED

Sorry my mistake is 10% less power-thats songs better
its still noticeable but depends from lpg map.

To make it leagal/certificated(my car is registered in DVLA) they must put filler cup in place which will able to withstand the pressure of 60 kg. next as impreza has turbo and have stronger valve seats You dont need lubricator(they can explain it better)
no matter how big is Your turbo if you are still under 300bhp.
every depends from parts,they offer parts up tu 300bhp if You wonna more You need stronger injectors.
yes lpg ecu is separate , my is mapped for my prodrive map exactly the same but lpg have more octan but lower calory in litres (more calory in kg but they sell it in litres and that is a reason why is 10% less power(if they will map above prodrive map then maybe will be closer with power to petrol)i dont know how strong it is on lpg-i havent idea how much power has on petrol. never been on dyno i estimated what i feel under right foot.
with my driving i need 7000 miles to paid me back depends how much You pay for conversion. the best is call them to make it a deal.
They use polish system its called STAG 300 (in Poland is massive lpg industry like in every eastern Europe country) but parts like injectros reducer are from different companies(all are very good). that is a reason why they make it cheaper.
bl o o dy hell near to 2000 its a robbery
Yes its far way but if You plan Your journey (they offer courtesy car-with lpg
maybe to see something.
Old 05 January 2011, 05:25 PM
fawor
BANNED

You dont need Flash lube kit for protection of Valves.
as impreza is turbo has stronger valve seats dont put 100 pounds to the trash.
read how lubricator works/its only lubricates good first valves, cylinder.
You d like save money not spend. 850 pound is max what id like to spend on lpg kit.
if is more is not worth.
Old 05 January 2011, 05:37 PM
fawor
BANNED

Like adsy wrote it switch back to petrol.
Yes switch back, like i notice when wheather is below 4 degrees and over 4500 on the clock.
Its multifunction kit, your engine need feed,when ecu notice is not enough lpg then switch on petrol. that only when you push, just after turbo kick only below 4 degrees.
When is 5 degrees my drive like a dream.
i have filler cap in rear bumper.
You can have it under number plate but You need to do something with plate (should be able to move up for fill )
You dont need remap.
Old 05 January 2011, 05:45 PM
fawor
BANNED

And one more who offer live warranty on their kit? for parts and labour?
What happend if You wish sell Your car after 2 years with no warranty on lpg?
How much You pay for extended warranty in UK? usually is very expensive.
do own research but seriously i highly recommend them.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:33 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

well i v booked my car in for sunday 16th
i asked about valve lube kit and was told its a waste of time for turbo engines
going to be done by profess autogas , Fawor do you know if you are given a certificate for the nsurance company
Old 13 January 2011, 12:13 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was about to do it.. then checked local stations and I cannot get lpg anywhere.. doh lol
Old 13 January 2011, 01:10 AM
fawor
BANNED

certificate you only show in dvla,they make change in logbook on dual fuel car and a little lower tax.
I only caled to insurance company and told them about changes.
how much you will pay?
Old 13 January 2011, 03:30 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I was about to do it.. then checked local stations and I cannot get lpg anywhere.. doh lol
Simon you can fill up elsewhere in London,i still fill up at BP(near Heathrow) or every second petrol station on Motorway have LPG fill station(BP or Shell) or here is where are LPG stations http://www.getlpg.org.uk/stations/london

Maybe help,Jura
Old 13 January 2011, 03:57 AM
fawor
BANNED

they fit the same lpg kit what i have not bad price
Old 13 January 2011, 05:04 AM
beanys
Scooby Regular

iv been told £1095 conversion. dont know why its more than the price on there web page tho
insurance no change same price
Old 13 January 2011, 08:14 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jura11
Simon you can fill up elsewhere in London,i still fill up at BP(near Heathrow) or every second petrol station on Motorway have LPG fill station(BP or Shell) or here is where are LPG stations http://www.getlpg.org.uk/stations/london

Maybe help,Jura
Kinda pointless if I have to go out of my way to buy lpg
Old 16 January 2011, 03:39 PM
fawor
BANNED

beanys you dont try lpg wales? near to the same way like this for 1095 against 900 or less
Old 16 January 2011, 09:04 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Ok iv just returned from wales and have had the conversion done by www.professautogas.co.uk
must say what an exellent guy Andrew was (owner) he explained everything to me about the kit they have put on, any why i dont need to have a Vale lube kit ,i just done 240 miles on LPG and seems smoother so far, i ll put any problems on here .also if any one want any info just mail me or post on here
Old 16 January 2011, 09:08 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

they installed it in a day?

what reason did they give for no lube kit?

Simon
Old 16 January 2011, 11:23 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

yes it took around 10 hrs to fit
as for the valve lube , it was explained that it was for cars that ran on leaded fuel thats why it was needed , but cars that use unleaded fuel have harder valves so no need and on turbo models also the force of the turbo would make vale lube waste of time
Thats what was explained to me
Old 17 January 2011, 01:17 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Got a m8 over here in Wee Norn Ireland got LPG fitted to his Sti Forrester, says its a great job, Simon aka Jollygreenmonster mapped it for him, LPG fitters I think just copied the map and put it into LPG ecu with a couple of tweeks
Old 17 January 2011, 06:57 AM
fawor
BANNED

nice but still i cant understand Your choice 1095pounds against 900(or less) for the same kit fitted, in near to the same place (wales) with worst warranty.
Old 17 January 2011, 11:11 AM
beanys
Scooby Regular

fawor
i had double injectors fitted not just a single row of 4 thats why it was more money, and i have 3 yrs warrenty on parts and labour
Old 13 February 2011, 04:56 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flashlube

as I understand it, upper cylinder lubrication is used because lpg burns significantly hotter than petrol, and hasn't the cooling effect that liquid does, turbo or non-turbo. Valve seat recession results from micro-welds that occur between the closed valves and the valve seat, in cases where the valves and seat are sufficiently hard. Difficult to tell how much of an issue this may be with scoobs since we don't have enough examples yet. but there's a good chance other faults will determine the economical life of the car before valve seat recession does.

Some cars have valves made of cheese and should never have lpg fitted apparently. Astras are an example.

This is a useful site: http://go-lpg.co.uk/VSR.html

Please keep posting about your lpg experiences and this fuel may end up keeping the cars on the road longer than they otherwise might. UK has a shedload of lpg supply and at some stage the crappy price differential may become unsupportable and the fuel become even more affordable.

cheers
dave
Old 14 February 2011, 08:49 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Well iv done over 1000 miles and the only diffrence iv noticed is to my wallet is cost £35 to fill up not £68
if i ever change to anotherscooby ill be giong to LPG again

Quick Reply: LPG conversion