Notices

Help smokey turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 09:13 PM
r8oxo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help smokey turbo

I am in need of some advice i have a subaru imperza wrx 54reg witch is smoking a gray oil smelling smoke on tick over i pull up a red light and no smoke for the first ten seconds then it start smoking the longer im there the thicker it gets . ive been told by a few people that it sound like the turbo seals can anyone confirm if it is the turbo bo could anyone also tell what turbo my car should have as i have no marking and what turbo can i fit to my car as a straite fit with no re map or big injectors would a 16g td 05 or a 20g tdo6 turbo fit with or dose anyone have a good turbo at a cheap price .. please help
Old 03 January 2011, 11:10 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Turbo will be a TD04
Symptoms are consistent with worn turbo seals.
I take it it doesn't smoke on boost.
If you go for anything other than a TD04, you will need a remap.
Where abouts in the country are you? Someone will recommend you a reliable speciaalist wherever you are.
Second hand TD04 is cheapest option, but unless you know the car its off, is an unknown quantity.
Andy Forest does a hybrid TD04 which is well regarded, you'll need to remap (£350 open source)
VF34/35 are straight swaps, but to get the most out of them and run safely, consider STI pinks and a decatted up pipe. Again budget on a remap. Bob
Old 03 January 2011, 06:39 PM
r8oxo
Scooby Newbie

Default help smokey turbo

im in derbyshire de12 im a bit thick when it comes to under the bonnet what is my cheapest option i have sourced a new td05 16g turbo for less than £300 would fitting this turbo mean i would have to have a remap if so how much would the remap be . my car is already fitted with a free flow filter a baily dv and a full 3 inch de-cat straite through 4 1/2 end can
Old 03 January 2011, 07:32 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by r8oxo
im in derbyshire de12 im a bit thick when it comes to under the bonnet what is my cheapest option i have sourced a new td05 16g turbo for less than £300 would fitting this turbo mean i would have to have a remap if so how much would the remap be . my car is already fitted with a free flow filter a baily dv and a full 3 inch de-cat straite through 4 1/2 end can
Don't mean to pi*s on your chips, but is your TD05 a genuine one or a cheap Chinese copy? There are plenty of these cheap copies on Ebay . If you do fit this turbo you will need STI pinks to get the most from it and a remap. Also has the TD05 been converted to front entry? If not Andy Forest and others provide a cover to convert them. If the turbo is off, I'd replace the up pipe at the same time. The cat can break up and gets eaten by the turbo. It will also give you more bhp.

Your cheapest option is a reconditioned TD04, bolt on, no remap required