Notices

Clutch judder (just had new clutch fitted)

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2010, 07:25 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch judder (just had new clutch fitted)

Hi guys some advice needed..had a new clutch fitted last wed and im gettin bad judder when driving hard from 1st to 2nd..if i drive normallyits fine is it just a case of it bedding in done about 100 or so miles since it was fitted..its a stage 1 excedy clutch with standard fly wheel which was skimmed (apparantly) fitted by scoobyworks. (if i wanna do a launch from 1st when i *** to change to 2nd i build the revs slightly and its fine ive onley done this a few times as it will probly burn out the cluth) just wanna giv as much detail as i can to show how the car/clutch is running..cheers
Old 26 December 2010, 07:33 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not drive agressivley when bedding in any new components, particularly friction components (clutch, breaks, etc etc).....If you try and take it back i guess they would tell you to allow it to bed in. Did they not tell you this when fitting>>??...If not this is poor IMO. One of the clever guys on here will give you the answer i'm sure.......My answer is drive like an old git for a few hundred miles, potentially you could have damaged the clutch in driving it hard....
Old 26 December 2010, 07:40 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

i cant remeber them sayin take it easy...was gonna have it on the dyno straight afther but decided not to so i wud of thought they wud of advised me not to but they didnt..like i say tho its completly fine under normal driving and when i say drive it hard im not completly nailing it i wud say 1st gear at 4500 revs to 2nd gear u get bad judder car just bounces then 2nd to 3rd its not to bad then its fine afther that i have to ride the clutch slightly to get rid of it in the lower gears..but say onley done that ounce or twice when driving a little bit naughty.thanx for the reply mate.

Last edited by jayukRS; 26 December 2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 26 December 2010, 07:59 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

unless someone can tell me different it maybe condensation on the flywheel from the extreame cold, but this should burn off in 10 minutes or so, and improve.....if it does'nt i would be getting on the phone i think...is sounding more and more (to me) like a mis aligned clutch, or even something wierd like a finger spring (on clutch) broken, which is extreamly rare.....If does'nt improve get it inspected. Judder seems like a minor thing but does put unecessary strain on the gear box, engine, mounts, etc etc, as they transmit the judder, as does the drive shaft..(but they will still tell you to allow the clutch to bed in, it still is most likely contaminent on the plate) IMO....
Old 26 December 2010, 09:49 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
unless someone can tell me different it maybe condensation on the flywheel from the extreame cold, but this should burn off in 10 minutes or so, and improve.....if it does'nt i would be getting on the phone i think...is sounding more and more (to me) like a mis aligned clutch, or even something wierd like a finger spring (on clutch) broken, which is extreamly rare.....If does'nt improve get it inspected. Judder seems like a minor thing but does put unecessary strain on the gear box, engine, mounts, etc etc, as they transmit the judder, as does the drive shaft..(but they will still tell you to allow the clutch to bed in, it still is most likely contaminent on the plate) IMO....
Impossable to be out of line m8 if it wasnt lined up you would still be at the garage trying to get the gearbox on, also on a dyna they dont thrash it through the gears they go nice and smooth so a dyno would be ok after fitting i would of thougth so, see what happerns after a few more miles.
Old 27 December 2010, 09:08 AM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

thanx for the advice boys...gonna give it a few more hundred miles i think not really drove her much since last wed, done some research and most of its coming bk to let the clutch bed in..they say if i had a new fly wheel aswell it wud be fine but as its not that cud couse the judder...it wasnt doing this before i had the new clutch so its definitly to do with having the new clutch fitted...thanx again
Old 27 December 2010, 10:57 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I started getting this after getting a new clutch fitted- a couple of aggressive starts or launches to clean the plate later and it is good as gold
Performance clutch plates can get a build up if it isn't used....as designed for....lol (ie too softly....)
Old 28 December 2010, 04:50 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

You are stupid if you leave it 100 or so miles, or listen to anymore advice from people who don't actually know what they are talking about (apart from my advice that is...)

TAKE IT BACK TO THE GARAGE AND TELL THEM TO CHECK THE CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING LUGS AND ASK WHY THEY HAVE SKIMMED THE FLYWHEEL
Old 28 December 2010, 12:52 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had this issue on my other impreza, not the same clutch as you tho, any clutch that judders after fitment has an issue.

I had my 1st clutch done at a subaru garage,young and niave LOL,when i left,had minor judder,a good example was let car idel,no throttle use and release clutch pedal and let the car move this way, i had judder quite bad like this.

took it back,they agreed,had it 2 days and had a reginal tech down (so they say anyhoo) as it was all new genuine subary clutch plate/flywheel.

eventually i had a 2002 clutch plate/flywheel fitted to the my00 i had as these were matched at the factory (again,could be b011ocks) by blue paint,so the plate and flyweehl were balanced together.

either way,it didnt judder after that,so they got something right LOL
Old 28 December 2010, 03:56 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

could you post more details on the clutch?
Old 20 September 2020, 05:55 PM
Hammergaz7
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch

Originally Posted by Minjeeta
You are stupid if you leave it 100 or so miles, or listen to anymore advice from people who don't actually know what they are talking about (apart from my advice that is...)

TAKE IT BACK TO THE GARAGE AND TELL THEM TO CHECK THE CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING LUGS AND ASK WHY THEY HAVE SKIMMED THE FLYWHEEL

could I have a chat with you as I have same problem??
Old 20 September 2020, 07:13 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

You might be lucky but this thread is 10 yr old.
Old 20 September 2020, 10:56 PM
Hammergaz7
Scooby Newbie

Default Clutch

Originally Posted by jayukRS
Hi guys some advice needed..had a new clutch fitted last wed and im gettin bad judder when driving hard from 1st to 2nd..if i drive normallyits fine is it just a case of it bedding in done about 100 or so miles since it was fitted..its a stage 1 excedy clutch with standard fly wheel which was skimmed (apparantly) fitted by scoobyworks. (if i wanna do a launch from 1st when i *** to change to 2nd i build the revs slightly and its fine ive onley done this a few times as it will probly burn out the cluth) just wanna giv as much detail as i can to show how the car/clutch is running..cheers
did u sort this out in the end m8
Old 20 September 2020, 10:58 PM
Hammergaz7
Scooby Newbie

Default Thx

Originally Posted by ted bass
You might be lucky but this thread is 10 yr old.
yeah I know but I’m desperate and running out of options maybe u know sumink about it ???