Questions about clutch + suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2010, 12:02 AM
Ross UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about clutch + suspension

Hi all,

Couple of questions.. I have a 2002 bug STI Type UK with PPP.. I notice that in some gears, especially in sixth, that the clutch slips real easily if I put the pedal to the floor at low(ish) (2.5-4k) RPM.. Is this usual because of the amount of power, maybe the current weather conditions etc..? Or would it be a good idea to get the clutch checked out?

Second... sometimes feels like I'm driving with flat tyres. Only at sloowwwwww speeds, and only when turning. Could be the bushes, ball joints, or a bunch of other things I guess.. again, is there a likelihood that it'll be something in particular? Common fault with the bushes for example?

I've got a basic bit of knowledge about mechanics, but I'm no expert, so help is much appreciated!! Cheers!
Old 03 December 2010, 12:04 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your clutch is gone mate, that sort of behaviour in 6th is classic symptoms I'm afraid.
Old 03 December 2010, 12:13 AM
Ross UK300
Scooby Regular

Doh! Fortunately I have 5 months of warranty left and clutch is covered! Phew.. I'll get onto them tomorrow. Thanks Floyd!
Old 03 December 2010, 12:16 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Hopefully you'll get it sorted, that said clutches are not normally covered beyond things like the pressure plate breaking up so a slipping clutch might not be warranted. You never know though. Who's the warranty with??
Old 06 December 2010, 08:44 PM
Ross UK300
Scooby Regular

Clutch has become worse over the past few days, doh! Warranty is with a third party company, can't remember the name at the moment. I'm actually thinking about calling the dealer to request a return and refund (SOGA yada yada).. pain in the ***!

How much should I be looking at if I were to replace the clutch with, say, an Exedy organic one (with / without fitting)? Thanks
Old 06 December 2010, 09:24 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Which company is the warranty with? Drop me a PM as we might be in a similar situation
Old 07 December 2010, 10:02 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doubt you'd be covered mate. The trouble with the 3rd party warranties is that clutches, pads, belts etc are normally considered wear and tear items.
Good luck with it though - let us know how you get on
Old 07 December 2010, 11:08 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Genuine UK Exedy Racing Organic Clutch Kit (Anti Judder)

Genuine UK Exedy OEM Organic Clutch Kit (Anti Judder)

All in stock and ready for dispatch.

Let me know if you need help choosing.

Old 07 December 2010, 10:40 PM
Ross UK300
Scooby Regular

Would like to call if possible Unless you're around tonight to PM or MSN? Cheers!
Old 20 December 2010, 12:02 AM
Ross UK300
Scooby Regular

Okay, so thanks for the posts so far guys. I had the clutch replaced at Carnetix early last week (thanks to Dunx for the recommendation - had a load of quotes and they were not only competitively priced, but the service was absolutely spot-on).

The question I now have is that the knocking/lumpy steering at low speeds from the front, especially when going to full lock, is still there, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas? Tyre pressures are fine, and Glenn at Carnetix tightened the hub nut up as there was a little bit of play in the O/S/F wheel. That seemed to help....... for the first couple of times I pulled off from stationary. Doing my head in... I'll have it checked but just wondered whether it screams anything obvious. I'd like to know I could just spend a small amount on lower ball joints, rather than it 'potentially being x, y or z'..

Cheers!
Old 20 December 2010, 02:46 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ross UK300
Okay, so thanks for the posts so far guys. I had the clutch replaced at Carnetix early last week (thanks to Dunx for the recommendation - had a load of quotes and they were not only competitively priced, but the service was absolutely spot-on).

The question I now have is that the knocking/lumpy steering at low speeds from the front, especially when going to full lock, is still there, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas? Tyre pressures are fine, and Glenn at Carnetix tightened the hub nut up as there was a little bit of play in the O/S/F wheel. That seemed to help....... for the first couple of times I pulled off from stationary. Doing my head in... I'll have it checked but just wondered whether it screams anything obvious. I'd like to know I could just spend a small amount on lower ball joints, rather than it 'potentially being x, y or z'..

Cheers!
I've found it to be the snow and road conditions as far as the grinding / knocking I heard the other day. Might be worth investigating that?