Notices

What rusty pipe is this???

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2010, 08:24 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What rusty pipe is this???

I was under the car today with the under tray off and spotted the pipe below. It looks pretty bad to me. I'd appreciate some opinions

Old 01 December 2010, 08:28 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a heat shield on your exhaust manifold, it'll probably start rattling soon, then rip it off then wrap with heat wrap!!!
Old 01 December 2010, 08:33 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

As above, its only the heat sheid that protect the headers from stones and keeps the heat in, not that they do a good job of keeping the heat in but better than not having them. If you decide to wrap them its far easier to take them off and you can do a good job of wrapping...
Old 01 December 2010, 08:35 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. It's hard to work out what is what when you're lying under the car lol!

So the area to the right of the filter, i.e the area just up from the right hand nut that's rusted through is just heat shield?
Old 01 December 2010, 08:36 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

nothing to worry about mate as long as the exhaust is not blowing? as above you will remove them to heat wrap.
Old 01 December 2010, 08:39 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k
As above, its only the heat sheid that protect the headers from stones and keeps the heat in, not that they do a good job of keeping the heat in but better than not having them. If you decide to wrap them its far easier to take them off and you can do a good job of wrapping...
And also stop your car setting on fire when the rocker cover gaskets start leaking and dropping oil onto them. Yet another subaru common fault
Old 01 December 2010, 08:40 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapid.STI
nothing to worry about mate as long as the exhaust is not blowing? as above you will remove them to heat wrap.
Nope it's all good mate Just waiting to the New Year and then adding in a Prodrive Sports cat, Hayward and Scott cat delete pipe and centre section, a few other bits and then off to Andy F for a remap

The crazy thing is my insurance are happy with a map and exhaust but not alloys??

Originally Posted by chris-RB5
And also stop your car setting on fire when the rocker cover gaskets start leaking and dropping oil onto them. Yet another subaru common fault
I hope not!
Old 01 December 2010, 08:43 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd

I hope not!
Don't worry tongue in cheek, but i for one would always wrap my headers and up-pipe if i had to rip the heatshield off!
Old 01 December 2010, 09:43 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Nope it's all good mate Just waiting to the New Year and then adding in a Prodrive Sports cat, Hayward and Scott cat delete pipe and centre section, a few other bits and then off to Andy F for a remap

The crazy thing is my insurance are happy with a map and exhaust but not alloys??

I hope not!
that with the insurance is a bit strange dont ya think? ok with making it quicker but dont make it look nice

how is the car?? all well i hope? how you liking driving it or have you not had chance with the snow?
Old 01 December 2010, 09:56 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

that with the insurance is a bit strange dont ya think? ok with making it quicker but dont make it look nice

how is the car?? all well i hope? how you liking driving it or have you not had chance with the snow?
They are a weird bunch (Admiral) when I was looking at your car I went online and tried to get a quote but once I added in the PPP pack and wheels they would not quote. After I bought mine I rang and asked about mods and they will cover me for the exhaust and map for an extra £140 but that seems to be the limit, it's like they have a set amount of mods you can have depending on car and circumstances. I'll just keep chancing my arm by ringing them and adding them on

I love the car, best I've owned to be honest. Made it out tonight which was the first since last Friday. Great in the snow, well maybe not great, but at least it moves in the stuff unlike my last car!

So are you keeping yours?
Old 01 December 2010, 10:03 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

They are a weird bunch (Admiral) when I was looking at your car I went online and tried to get a quote but once I added in the PPP pack and wheels they would not quote. After I bought mine I rang and asked about mods and they will cover me for the exhaust and map for an extra £140 but that seems to be the limit, it's like they have a set amount of mods you can have depending on car and circumstances. I'll just keep chancing my arm by ringing them and adding them on

I love the car, best I've owned to be honest. Made it out tonight which was the first since last Friday. Great in the snow, well maybe not great, but at least it moves in the stuff unlike my last car!

So are you keeping yours?
not so great??? im loving the classic wagon im running at the minute, it will plod anywhere.
as for mine ive really been considering it, i mean deeply but its sod's law as soon as i deeply thought of keeping her, ive had 2 email's for her. ive also read the post "plz not again" similar thing happened to me a while bk hence why getting shut. although this is the second time for this poor guy

im just gonna leave it till the add runs out and have a good think

you played about with the shift light yet? also the stereo's aint the best are they
Old 01 December 2010, 10:19 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

not so great??? im loving the classic wagon im running at the minute, it will plod anywhere.
as for mine ive really been considering it, i mean deeply but its sod's law as soon as i deeply thought of keeping her, ive had 2 email's for her. ive also read the post "plz not again" similar thing happened to me a while bk hence why getting shut. although this is the second time for this poor guy

im just gonna leave it till the add runs out and have a good think

you played about with the shift light yet? also the stereo's aint the best are they
That's the problem, just as you start to decide on keeping or selling something changes your mind. It's a lovely car so it'd be nice to keep, then again with the scum running around with keys and brake fluid etc you have to wonder if it's worth it

The shift light it is neat gadget. I've got it set to 5000 at the minute until I'm used to the car. By the time I react and change it's at the right point in the rev range. I'm sure I'll raise it once I'm used to driving it

I'm not too fussed by the stereo. I'll add a bluetooth kit after Christmas but other than that I'll keep it standard I think.
Old 01 December 2010, 10:26 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

That's the problem, just as you start to decide on keeping or selling something changes your mind. It's a lovely car so it'd be nice to keep, then again with the scum running around with keys and brake fluid etc you have to wonder if it's worth it

The shift light it is neat gadget. I've got it set to 5000 at the minute until I'm used to the car. By the time I react and change it's at the right point in the rev range. I'm sure I'll raise it once I'm used to driving it

I'm not too fussed by the stereo. I'll add a bluetooth kit after Christmas but other than that I'll keep it standard I think.
i loved the shift light when i first got my last 1,, i tend to turn the beep off tho does head in sometime's.

thats what worries me something happening again, cos ive had my car damaged, 6 days after owning it, then i had a similar incident to the other guy. but i no i'll be gutted to let go.. all the bloody hard work ive done to get this car and all the time i spent looking..

as we speak ive just recieved another pm regardin my car,, lets see what this 1 says eh?