Notices

Basic exhaust mods..do i need to remap.....

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2010, 01:01 AM
Darkcloud
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic exhaust mods..do i need to remap.....

Hi all....im new to the site so please bear with me if some of my questions seem obvious/silly...
Ive got a Bugeye wrx 2001 model from new with 40k on the clock abroad(limited edition), this is basically a standard unmodified UKDM model, 215bhp, with Sti interior, gold alloys and body coloured skirts from factory.....
...i want to replace the up-pipe (perrin etc), down pipe (de-cat) and have a 200 cell sports cat where the 3rd cat would be,as well as get rid of the exhaust resonator near the back box....ive got an Sti back box on,which i want to keep (Keep the fuzz at bay).
I want max reliability, stock loudness(fuzz again), and the engine to be as unrestricted/unstressed as possible whilst being able to pass an MOT.
1.Am i right in saying ill need a remap after the mods, assuming if i dont remap,i will not reap any rewards with mods done.? Because car is abroad in Cyprus is there anyway of buying a remap and downloading via PC..? or does anyone know a descent remap centre there...ECUTEK etc.
2. Will any engine warning lights come on...if so what do i need to do..?
3.Assuming remap done, and boost kept the same as factory (as i dont want to inc boost past factory set 0.93 bar... )
4.What bhp gain if any will car be running at.......?
4.will it be a lot more driveable lower down rev range.....assuming restrictions have been removed.

Thanks for any advice you guys/girls may have....
Old 28 November 2010, 01:06 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you want to decat and change the uppipe then it is highly recommended that you get a remap. The car will run rich and it could have boost spikes.
Old 28 November 2010, 02:48 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

A sti up pipe will suffice and you can get a second hand one for £50, dont buy
a massive bling one off ebay as it will take the car longer to spool up and ruin the drive.

The downpipe, i am pretty sure that the sports cat is in the downpipe but also eliminates the 3rd cat aswell.

You will need a aftermarket centre section as this is what part of the
exhaust system
the resonater is in.

All in all, for a free flowing car and for it to pass mot you will need a
Sti up pipe
sports cat downpipe
de-resonated centre section.

1. you could email andy forrest to come and map your car abroad, but he charges for the plane ticket obviously.
2. because your car is a wrx a cel light (engine managment) will come
on because the sti up pipe doesn't have a hole for the egt sensor whereas
the wrx does. the mapper will be able to switch this off.
3. because you will be keeping the car at the same boost level, there will not be much gain in power if any, however spool will increase and the car should drive better lower down the rev range as boost will come on earlier.

Having given you some info, if your planning on keeping your car the same in terms of boost then i don't think you need to make exhaust mods as they are not really needed until 300 bhp and the only real gain you would have is sound, which you don't want either by the sounds of it
Old 28 November 2010, 09:37 AM
Darkcloud
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that.....
I thought there may have been a 10-20 bhp increase (torque in that region too) as the exhaust restrictions would have been removed......
Old 28 November 2010, 09:58 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

I`ve got a 2001 bug wrx too, and is pretty much the way you want yours. Decatted up-pipe, standard downpipe with cat, decatted center section, and a magnex cat back. I downloaded an XPT map off the net and flashed it to the ecu myself.

http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?m...index&cPath=60

Just choose your model, and buy the map. Mine worked out about £38. You`ll need a tactrix cable to flash it though.

It`s only a generic map, so am expecting a barrage of comments saying a custom one is better, which it is, but £38 verses £500 odd.
It gave me 239.3 on the rollers, and the AFR`s are a bit rich, but safer that way.
Old 28 November 2010, 10:15 AM
Darkcloud
Scooby Newbie

Wow..thanks for that...sounds like the route i might take.......

Originally Posted by ian.e
I`ve got a 2001 bug wrx too, and is pretty much the way you want yours. Decatted up-pipe, standard downpipe with cat, decatted center section, and a magnex cat back. I downloaded an XPT map off the net and flashed it to the ecu myself.

http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?m...index&cPath=60

Just choose your model, and buy the map. Mine worked out about £38. You`ll need a tactrix cable to flash it though.

It`s only a generic map, so am expecting a barrage of comments saying a custom one is better, which it is, but £38 verses £500 odd.
It gave me 239.3 on the rollers, and the AFR`s are a bit rich, but safer that way.
Old 28 November 2010, 10:23 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

And with the standard downpipe cat it passed the MOT ok too.