Notices

tap...tap

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2010, 05:34 PM
ASTBURY83
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tap...tap

Hi there today i was going over my engine and when i first started her i could era a tapping sound...so listerned a little closer and it sounds like it coming from the middle of the engine and i goes a little quieter when warm.
Any ideas what this tapping sound could be or what i can do myself to stop it.

Also when the cars warm its idleing just under 1k rpm is that normal...
I'm planning to do a oil and filter change the weekend so what oil would be the best.
its a 98 uk impreza 2000 turbo.

thanks

daz.
Old 25 November 2010, 05:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

you are lucky compared to this lady

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11828052

Old 25 November 2010, 08:31 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
you are lucky compared to this lady

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11828052

jese thats really helpful
Old 25 November 2010, 08:39 PM
ASTBURY83
Scooby Newbie

any helpful info needed
Old 26 November 2010, 12:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the good 'ol cold weather piston slap. Not uncommon on any engine when the temp. drops. It was a known characteristic on '98 cars. As long as it quietens down as the engine warms, it's ok. Warm the engine gently during this period.
It should idle at around 750 rpm when warm.
Use a good quality 10w/40 Do a search for oil change procedures, it's a bit of an emotive subject on here!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 26 November 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 26 November 2010, 05:01 PM
ASTBURY83
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up big help

Originally Posted by JohnD
Sounds like the good 'ol cold weather piston slap. Not uncommon on any engine when the temp. drops. It was a known characteristic on '98 cars. As long as it quietens down as the engine warms, it's ok. Warm the engine gently during this period.
It should idle at around 750 rpm when warm.
Use a good quality 10w/40 Do a search for oil change procedures, it's a bit of an emotive subject on here!

JohnD

Thanks johnD for the reply it does die off when warm...
I have noticed the posts on here about oil change procedures, is there a special way to do them on a scooby, i've done loads of them on other cars...
Anyway thanks again big help.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:44 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

As soon as the temperature drops the piston slap comes around. As above if it goes away after a few minutes, it's nothing to worry about.
Old 26 November 2010, 09:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ASTBURY83

Thanks johnD for the reply it does die off when warm...
It's obviously impossible for us to diagnose a "noise" without actually having head under bonnet - the character and exact location of the noise are all-important. John is likely to be right - slap is a known issue on your year of car. Whatever the cause is, provided it subsides as the engine comes up to temp, then it shouldn't be too serious a problem.

I have noticed the posts on here about oil change procedures, is there a special way to do them on a scooby, i've done loads of them on other cars...
If you've seen the threads you'll presumably have seen what the "special ways" are. There's nothing stopping you doing it the way you always have if you really want to. It's your car and you can do what you like with it.

However, filling the oil filter prior to fitting it, and disconnecting the crank position sensor (or pulling the ECU power fuse) so you can rotate the engine on the starter and establish oil pressure prior to allowing it to fire, are easily done, eminently sensible ideas that will do your engine no harm, and protect it from any cumulative, harmful effects it might otherwise suffer as a result of being temporarily being starved of oil for a few seconds as you start it up for the first time.
Old 26 November 2010, 10:02 PM
ASTBURY83
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info splitpin i will remember them simple procedures when doing my oil and filter change.
first ever scooby so a bit well lets just say under educated so every bit of knowledge welcome...
thanks

daz.