Notices

16 inch tyres

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2010, 05:19 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 inch tyres

Apologies if you think this is in wrong forum but not much help in the tire / wheel section.

I need some new tyres and want something good for the rain coming up. 300bhp with anti roll bars whiteline kit etc...

Have had:
Toyos Proxes TR1 - found them grippy but wore quickly on outsides probably because they are a bit soft on sidewall.
Vredestein Ultrac - good alrounder but I was a bit concerned the tred patten was designed by Guigaro - surely a fluid dynamic engineer is the chap for the job?
Dunlop SP Sport - seemed to be good alround but didn't stand out in any area, turn in a bit dull compaired to 2 above.
Falken 452 - seem to have good grip, I don't have much wet experience with them though, hard ride and perhaps therefore they make the car dance a bit.

Looking to try something else, people & mags raving about:

Conti SportContact S3 - not made in my size
Vredestein Ultrac Cento - out of stock maybe till next year
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo - not made in my size

Are there any other 16" options but the Goodyear F1s and Michelin Pilots? that you guys can vouch for?

Most people seem to have gone to 17 or 18" wheels but I like to look like an old standard car for a bit of the surprise element

Cheers
Old 19 November 2010, 05:29 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

i used to run f1 gsd3 goodyears and really happy with them but with my falken 452s on mine 205-50-16 the car feels just as solid in the dry and almost as good in the wet,the goodyears as you would expect were useless in the snow though lol
Old 19 November 2010, 05:44 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Truth is, if you are replacing worn out tyres anyway rather than changing for the sake of it, you'll surprise a hell of a lot more people right now if you fit winter tyres. That's what I'd do if I needed tyres now as you'll get loads more grip than virtually everybody else for the next 4 months at least.
If you are sticking with normal tyres then the Hankook is I think available as the Ventus V12 Evo in your size. I used it on 17" rims and it was certainly better than the T1Rs/ Eagle F1 GSD3s I had before wet and dry.

Kevin
Old 19 November 2010, 07:23 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Have a spare set of wheels with winter / snow tires so don't really want to go to having 3 sets of wheels / tires with summer, wets and snow tires.

Doesnt look like Hankook Ventus V12 is available in 205 50 16 either, but they do have 215 40 16.

Thanks Kevin
Old 19 November 2010, 07:50 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

With winter coming and what our weather is usually like, i would reccmend looking at getting a set of Uniroyal Rain Sport 2's

They are great in the dry and excellent in the wet, they also last a long time and quite a stiff side wall.
Old 19 November 2010, 08:42 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
With winter coming and what our weather is usually like, i would recommend looking at getting a set of Uniroyal Rain Sport 2's

They are great in the dry and excellent in the wet, they also last a long time and quite a stiff side wall.

I'd recommend them too. Had a set on a van for a year, excellent, lots of dry grip and brilliant in the wet. They were even pretty good in the snow too.

Another option that I have on the Scoob is Avon ZZ3's, similar looks/tread pattern to the Uniroyals and really good in the wet.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:19 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I would recommend the Uniroyals over the Avon's... used to run Avon ZZ3's on my focus, they are great in the dry and alright in the wet, but didn't last long...

The Uniroyal dry grip is the same, if not slightly better then the Avon's but wet grip is unbelievable
Old 19 November 2010, 09:21 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Wondered about Uni-Royal. Not exactly a cool brand but I dont care they're all black at the end of the day. Black and sticky better than Black and cool.

Anyone got ideas about sizes? trying 55 profile instead of 50 or 225 45 16? Not sure how much space there is