Notices

Replacement Key Imprezza

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2010, 01:16 PM
Trezzy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key Imprezza

Trying to get some advice for my father. He has a Subaru Imprezza GX Sport AWD registered 18/08/2003. He has lost one of his keys and wants a replacement but is not keen to part with the £300+ quoted by the Subaru dealer in Northern Ireland. The remaining key is a non retractable key with a single push button which operates the alarm. Also need to press button to start the car. I have seen various internet posts from people selling Imprezza keys, some cut and some uncut, some talking about chips and some talking about transponders. I would welcome some advice apart from the obvious which would be to bite the bullet and pay the money. Cheers. Trezzy.
Old 17 November 2010, 06:04 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

i am in the same situation...havent had a great deal of advice tbh...not really sure there is any realistic way around it other than to bit the bullet and go to the dealer.
Old 18 November 2010, 03:29 PM
equitrader
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trezzy
Trying to get some advice for my father. He has a Subaru Imprezza GX Sport AWD registered 18/08/2003. He has lost one of his keys and wants a replacement but is not keen to part with the £300+ quoted by the Subaru dealer in Northern Ireland. The remaining key is a non retractable key with a single push button which operates the alarm. Also need to press button to start the car. I have seen various internet posts from people selling Imprezza keys, some cut and some uncut, some talking about chips and some talking about transponders. I would welcome some advice apart from the obvious which would be to bite the bullet and pay the money. Cheers. Trezzy.
If its a spare for emergencys a plain one will do just get it cut to copy yours as you can disarm alarm and start car using the keypad
Old 18 November 2010, 06:02 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

i took my key to a key cutters and they said they couldnt do it. will try a different shop as all i want is a key to get in and start the car...as i know my keypad code.
Old 18 November 2010, 06:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx sti ppp
i took my key to a key cutters and they said they couldnt do it. will try a different shop as all i want is a key to get in and start the car...as i know my keypad code.
You will almost certainly find that in addition to the Sigma category 1 alarm, the car will still be running the factory fit immobiliser which utilises the transponder in the key.

As such, simply buying a key that will get you through the door and operate the ignition switch almost certainly won't be enough, even with knowledge of the Sigma PIN. You'll need a key (whether genuine Subaru or aftermarket) equipped with the appropriate transponder, and will then need either a dealer or Ecutek dealer to synchronise the immobiliser to it.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:26 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

cheapest option would be a key off ebay, then get a blade cut to fit your car. then just pay to have it programmed, thats what I would do

Darren
Old 18 November 2010, 08:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted £50 from a quick key place thats with the transponder.
Old 19 November 2010, 08:19 AM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

i have a key from my previous sti, that got written off. how could i use that somehow to have a proper spare key?
Old 19 November 2010, 12:36 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

you can buy a blade for it then get blade cut to suit car then pay a dealer or ecutek mapper to program it to your ecu, think Litchfields quoted me £25 to do this.
Old 19 November 2010, 05:59 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

really? What part of that process did Litchfields quote you £25 for? thanks for your help.
Old 19 November 2010, 07:59 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

the £25 was to program the key to my ecu once I had had it cut to fit the car, not sure if it was +vat though, I have seen the blades on ebay for about £6 so if you pay a couple of quid to have it cut, fit it in your key from the other car and get the transponder set to your ecu all should be fine the remote alarm part of the key you can program yourself if you read the manual thats in the service pack of the car.
Old 20 November 2010, 08:51 AM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

Thanks Daz. i have read about coding a number of keys to a car and i think i was getting that muddled up with getting the transponder set to my ecu. my wife took my key in to a key cutters a couple of weeks ago and he said they cant be cut! clearly talking out of his ar$e. thanks for the info mate...will see how i get on.
Old 24 November 2010, 12:58 PM
Trezzy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies I have been looking on ebay and have seen the following:HERE WE HAVE FOR SALE BRAND NEW SUBARU CLASSIC TRANSPONDER KEY WITH UNCUT KEY BLADE. THE KEY COMES WITHOUT A CHIP, SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT YOUR OWN CHIP IN IT AND GET THE KEYBLADE CUT. I don't understand the distinction between a chip and a transponder key. If I have to get hold of a chip for the key were can i buy one.
Old 24 November 2010, 01:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trezzy
Thanks for all the replies I have been looking on ebay and have seen the following:HERE WE HAVE FOR SALE BRAND NEW SUBARU CLASSIC TRANSPONDER KEY WITH UNCUT KEY BLADE. THE KEY COMES WITHOUT A CHIP, SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT YOUR OWN CHIP IN IT AND GET THE KEYBLADE CUT. I don't understand the distinction between a chip and a transponder key. If I have to get hold of a chip for the key were can i buy one.
The distinction between a "chip" and a transponder key is that the chip = transponder, different name for the same thing. This seller, by the look of things, is selling you a transponder key without the transponder fitted.

As such this will not give your father what he's after, as, sure, if you buy one, and get it cut, you will be able to open the doors and rotate the barrel of the ignition switch.

However, you need a transponder in the key and synchronised to the immobiliser in the car. Otherwise the engine simply won't start when you turn it.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:06 PM
Smudge46
Scooby Regular

Found this on ebay. They'll cut your key blade. Second hand keys come up now and again, just got to keep your eye out. I got one for around £10 just need to get it programmed now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Remote-...item20b55501dd
Old 24 November 2010, 07:24 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smudge46
I got one for around £10 just need to get it programmed now.
how did you go about that? i have a key from a previous sti and was hoping to use that in some way...perhaps get a blade cut and put in my old fob...with the transponder of course.

i have had a couple of emails from an ebay seller that says he can cut my key, provide the transponder and program it for my car for £60. obviously i will have to take the car to him, but its cheaper than subaru. although it wont have the remote function on it so i am guessing that i will be able to unlock the doors with the key, the alarm will go off and i will need to use the keypad to silence it and remove the immobiliser and then start the car.

if only there was a more simple way...