Notices

Changing door locks on Classic.

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2010, 05:11 PM
scoobynash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing door locks on Classic.

Hello.I have a 1996 Impreza 555.The previous owner has removed the outer door handles,welded in metal plates and filled the holes.Only the drivers door opens off a pop lock system.The job was done poorly and the filler has cracked leaving ugly doors.I bought 4 used doors off a mate that are complete with handles, electrics etc.I wanted to know what I need to do to fit these to my car.I have no key for the new door locks.I assume I will have to remove the lock cylinders and have them tumbled to my ignition key or have new keys cut to match the locks.Also,is the remote central locking going to work or will I have to swap all of the electrics from the old doors? Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks
Old 07 November 2010, 05:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You are going to need to strip the door cards off the doors with locks. You should then be able to see up inside where the lock comes through. Disconnect the mechanism on the inside of the door, then push the retaining catch away: it is a flat "C" shaped spring that locates in a groove in the lock body. Once that's out, the lock will come out.

Pricewise, it MAY be cheaper to buy a matched set of three off a breaker......
Old 07 November 2010, 06:07 PM
scoobynash
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alcazar.Finally someone has responded.I have to strip the doors down anyway for my paint guy.He's gonna paint them,and hang them for me for £50 per door.I just need to get the locks sorted.The boot lid is flushed (And was done properly),so I won't need a boot lock cylinder.I will definately check for a lock set from the breakers.Got to be cheaper than having the old ones re-tumbled.Thanks again mate.
Old 07 November 2010, 08:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynash
Thanks Alcazar.Finally someone has responded.
Have you asked this before, since you said "finally", but there was only 27 minutes between question and response, not bad for a sunday evening..........
Old 08 November 2010, 07:20 PM
scoobynash
Scooby Regular

Yeah.I posted it as "Door Swap" and didn't get any replies.Thanks for yours mate.