Notices

what else could smoke be?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2010, 10:55 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else could smoke be?

i had a thread on here the other day about when i start my car up there is a massive amount of white smoke comes out and goes when heated up in 5 mins or so, i have not tried the bag over the end at night yet to see what like in the morning gonna do that tonight, but what else could it be? to me it looks white
2002 sti bug with full decat and 5" exit
during thwe day its fine but first thing in morning its way more than any other car i have seen literally clouds!! its a bit worrying
Old 04 November 2010, 11:03 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i'd say due to the cold weather we have on a morning now and you have a full decat i'd say its normal. my uk turbo wagon does it,, & so does my sti7,, just the weather imo.

when you come out on a cold morning,, do a deep breath,, if you can see it,, then your car will do the same thing from the exhaust, as it is in theory breathing too..

wayne.,
Old 04 November 2010, 11:15 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i am hoping that what it is but its quite worrying lol sti7 also i thought the decat would make it a bit more smoky as well obviously its the first car with full decat i have had
Old 04 November 2010, 12:09 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i am hoping that what it is but its quite worrying lol sti7 also i thought the decat would make it a bit more smoky as well obviously its the first car with full decat i have had
it'll be fine im sure.. but just keep ya eyes and ears open to be double safe.. like i say ive noticed mine doing the same thing,, first second i thought oh F*C* but thought about it and laughed..
Old 04 November 2010, 12:50 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Mine does it as well, just as long as it is obviously condensation, ie. it dissipates like condensation, and doesnt hang round like smoke.
Old 04 November 2010, 12:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mate, what have you actually DONE to find out what else the smoke could be, apart from ask again on here?

Not being funny, but did you act on ANYTHING that was suggested in your first thread?
Old 04 November 2010, 12:55 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

this is where i find it hard diffrentaiting between the tinges and colours and smoke and condesation/steam lol i mean there was alot clouds coming out but was dissapearing like steam but so much was cloudy if you know what a mean lol.
if i been out a couple of times then it does not really do it all day mainly in the morning, and is there a smell i should be smelling? if so what do diffrent smells mean?
Old 04 November 2010, 12:58 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

sorry alcazar i have not been out in the car since then so left it and had to take kids to school this morning and thats when it came back to me, i will be putting a bag over the exhaust today and tying it on and see what its like tomorrow but that was the only thing suggested if my memory serves.
im only trying to find out info thats all
Old 04 November 2010, 03:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK dude, we aren't all retired. Sorry.

Anyway, put something COLD, (a plate out of the freezer) in front of it and watch for condensation.
Sniff the "smoke": exhaust smell= probably nowt to worry about.
Oily smell= get it checked.
Coolant smell, (burnt crunchy or curry)= get a sniff test done.

Are you losing any oil, or water? Is there any deposits inside the coolant overflow neck, the one next to the battery?
When you check your oil, is it like oil, or creamy/foamy?
Old 04 November 2010, 04:44 PM
rangi-t
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate watch all the other cars on cold mornings and they do the same its condensation or steam coming from the exhaust as part of the combustion process. as well as all the other gases produced when we burn petrol there is also h2o (water vapour) when the car is cold the exhaust is also cold and does not burn off this steam as it warms it becomes hot enough to clear it. if your car still smokes after a few mins or when the engine temp reaches normal you have a problem
Regards an old RR technician
Old 04 November 2010, 05:02 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Want to be thankful you dont have wrapped headers and turbo.You would Kack yourself at traffic lights.Still gets me every time.Smoke everywhere and prople pointing at the scoop etc LOL
Old 04 November 2010, 08:30 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shoobydoo
Want to be thankful you dont have wrapped headers and turbo.You would Kack yourself at traffic lights.Still gets me every time.Smoke everywhere and prople pointing at the scoop etc LOL
me too!!

mines is the same i have a full decat and in the morning your think i was driving a mobile crematorium!!! Its so bad when you look in the mirror theres plumes of smoke everywhere.
After 5 minuntes it goes though.

I had manifold off to check for oil and had compression done all was fine.
Old 04 November 2010, 10:59 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

that sounds exactly like mine!! i mean this morning i went out and started it and let it warm up for a few mins and was watching other cars coming and going with smoke/steam etc also

but jesus the clouds coming out mine were making driving conditions difficult for passers by
and yes after 5 mins or so its away for the day, i have fitted a plastic bag over the exhaust for tonight and sealed it up with rubber bands and gonna see if it makes any diff tomorrow morning as someone had suggested to do
will advise tomorrow
Old 05 November 2010, 08:38 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

All you need to think about mate is most cars on the road have a 2" exhaust outlet/end bore.

With yours being 5" your get more smoke in the cold weather etc.

Unless your car feels ill health or you can smell anything have no fear mate.

Steve
Old 05 November 2010, 10:56 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

right so the update this morning is i took the bag from exhaust and started the car to warm it up(cold and damp)
and there was probably half the smoke or a bit less looked more normal so this probably means its just with large exhaust and full decat then

i have to admit i feel a bit happier after seeing that and no car uses no water and oil and drives 100%