Notices

for anyone who didn't know re:timing

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 04:48 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was stuck on how to check the coil packs to make sure they are firing/working or what the timing was set at (i know its not adjustable!)

this is just a quick one to help out anyone who may want to check either of these....

both of the above will cost you about £2.50 (for a lead) or nothing if you have an old HT lead lying about, you will also need a timing light!!

what you have to do is take out the coil pack that you want to test and remove the rubber sleeve on the end that keeps it attached to the spark plug,
next you have to take your HT lead and push it onto the spark plug, the other end of the lead pushes on to the coil pack.
connect the timing light up to the battery terminals and onto the HT lead (making sure that none of the leads will get caught in any of the pulleys etc etc).
Start the car, if you hold the trigger of the timing light it should A: show you that there is a spark and B: it should be a consistant flash however fast the engine is turning.

To make sure the timing is correct use the above HT lead connection on plug one and then use the timing light to check the marks on the crank pulley and casing (15 degrees btdc i believe)....

i know that this test will not show how powerful the spark is, but it will prove that the coil pack is firing and not missing a beat!!

Excuse my ignorance if everybody knew this already, but i posted to find out how it was done, no-one replied so here it is for the people who may be unsure.....
Cheers, Rob