Notices

how much BHP?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2010, 11:11 AM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much BHP?

I want to do few more mods the scoob and i want to get a FMIC with bigger fuel pump and then a re-map. but just wondering what sort of BHP i would get....?

Adam
Old 31 October 2010, 11:14 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blitz Boy
I want to do few more mods the scoob and i want to get a FMIC with bigger fuel pump and then a re-map. but just wondering what sort of BHP i would get....?

Adam
to answer that we will need to know what car you have,and what you have done to it already.
Old 31 October 2010, 11:15 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...lp-advice.html
Old 31 October 2010, 11:22 AM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

sorry lisa

bigarf,

i have a classic V reg 2000 UK turbo. i have a HKS air filter and thats all i have done to under the bonnet as i don't want to mess around until i know what i am doing. but i have lowered it.

hope thats all. sorry about that.

Adam
Old 31 October 2010, 11:45 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Pump, exhaust and remap should see around 270bhp. Not worth FMIC unless you plan on putting a bigger turbo on.
Old 31 October 2010, 12:00 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Agreed with all the above ^^ at this stage you do not need a FMIC.

Im not sure on the classics, but I hear that 320-340bhp can be had out of the std classic TMIC. Then you could always convert to a newage STI TMIC which are good for 400bhp.

If your chasing for medium/heavy power then start with the right car to begin with, I believe the 2000 UK Turbo is the wrong core car.

HTH
Rob
Old 31 October 2010, 01:32 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

270??? seriously???? from 215hp to 270hp with and exhaust, fuel pump and a remap?? seriously!!!
Old 31 October 2010, 02:48 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Mine went to 242bhp with those mods
Old 31 October 2010, 02:49 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
270??? seriously???? from 215hp to 270hp with and exhaust, fuel pump and a remap?? seriously!!!
Yes this is a little unrealistic, maybe 263bhp & 256lbft?
Old 31 October 2010, 03:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blitz Boy
sorry lisa

bigarf,

i have a classic V reg 2000 UK turbo. i have a HKS air filter and thats all i have done to under the bonnet as i don't want to mess around until i know what i am doing. but i have lowered it.

hope thats all. sorry about that.
It would help to know what model year your "V reg" car is. Presumably will be an MY99 but it is better to know for certain than guess. If in doubt look at the applied model code on the ID plate attached to the top of the nearside front suspension turret. The fourth character is the model year, i.e. on a UK car, GC8GK8D = MY99, GC8F= MY98, GC8H=MY2000

As the others have said, a front mount intercooler is utterly pointless at this level of tune, you're better off with the standard one, or something like a newage WRX top mount. Also, when you say you have an "HKS air filter" is this a replacement panel or a cone filter/induction kit of some sort?

The apparently conflicting answers you've already got re. expected post-remap power figures illustrate one thing: that your mileage may vary according to the general health of your engine and the amount of safety margin whichever mapper you employ chooses to use. However a figure of 270bhp is certainly not unrealistic. You may even get a bit more if you're lucky.
Old 31 October 2010, 07:24 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The normal starting point on these cars is a full decat exhaust system followed by ported headers with matched uppipe. Take care because not any exhaust system will do. Go for one with proven performance which is probably not one of the noisiest ones out there. Assuming your car is 99/00 then it can be Ecutek remapped and with the above mods and a remap you will already see a big power uplift.
No need to worry about the intercooler until you get to the 300 bhp mark plus.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:14 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingbuttmunch
Mine went to 242bhp with those mods
that's what i would have thought as well. i am thinking 270 is pure pub talk or else the engine must be very unsafe.
Old 01 November 2010, 01:19 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

that's what i would have thought as well. i am thinking 270 is pure pub talk or else the engine must be very unsafe.
No. The late classic PPP setup produces over 240bhp (with similar torque) with the standard catalyst in place - and with Subaru warranty-pleasing safety margin. The only thing that unit doesn't really do is extend all the way up to the red line, IIRC the timing disappears quite quickly above 5000, and it also runs very, very rich.

The 270/260 numbers mentioned above are perfectly achievable on an open exhaust with bags of safety margin.

As above, if your mapper could "only" get 240-something out of a late classic Turbo 2000 engine/turbo with the usual basic mods, either he isn't very good, or there's something wrong/worn under the bonnet preventing it going further.
Old 01 November 2010, 08:03 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
No. The late classic PPP setup produces over 240bhp (with similar torque) with the standard catalyst in place - and with Subaru warranty-pleasing safety margin. The only thing that unit doesn't really do is extend all the way up to the red line, IIRC the timing disappears quite quickly above 5000, and it also runs very, very rich.

The 270/260 numbers mentioned above are perfectly achievable on an open exhaust with bags of safety margin.

As above, if your mapper could "only" get 240-something out of a late classic Turbo 2000 engine/turbo with the usual basic mods, either he isn't very good, or there's something wrong/worn under the bonnet preventing it going further.
right, spot on splitpin. with a freer flowing exhaust, FPR, and the correct AFRs, you're going to get there then. just really depends on the mapper i suppose, how far they are willing to go before egine becomes unsafe or turbo runs out of puff.
Old 01 November 2010, 08:21 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I think its fair to say that the OP's thread has been answered

However I still stand with my earlier comment, the 'Core' car must be right to begin with for your 'bhp' chase. If the OP is expecting 270+ then I would seriously consider exchanging the car completly. A std Classic JDM will be already pushing the power output of what the OP might already require. I could be wrong but I think they offer more benifits to such as cheaper insurance?
Old 01 November 2010, 10:02 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
A std Classic JDM will be already pushing the power output of what the OP might already require. I could be wrong but I think they offer more benifits to such as cheaper insurance?
Huh? cheaper insurance on a JDM grey import? Yes they are better speced and more powerful out of the box, but cheaper to insure? i thought the opposite was true, infact until recently a lot of insurers wouldn't even touch a import.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:53 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Huh? cheaper insurance on a JDM grey import? Yes they are better speced and more powerful out of the box, but cheaper to insure? i thought the opposite was true, infact until recently a lot of insurers wouldn't even touch a import.
Hence my Question mark (?)

I wasnt sure as i have never personally owned a Classic STI. However I did get some insurance quotes a few months ago for a 4k classic STI and they came in very reasonable, slightly cheaper than my UK300 at 6k, also road tax seems cheap
Old 01 November 2010, 12:11 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

lot of things said here and have all been taken on board... i did forget to mention the blitz nur spec exhaust too woops. sorry

i will eventually want a bigger turbo but unsure of what one to get really.

so getting a fmic at this moment is just a waste of money, and may as well wait till i have a bigger turbo?? if so thats cool as will save to get a good one!! any suggestions?

Thanks for the help peeps!

Adam
Old 01 November 2010, 12:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

td04 will be laggy with front mount, its the only turbo you wouldn;t want a front mount with.

could try and pick up a second hand vf35 for a few hundred, fuel pump, front mount and map and away you go to 330ish.
Old 01 November 2010, 12:49 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Most isurance companies wont touch imports, 270 bhp is attainable with supporting mods, and safe, as said before a mapper getting 240bhp isnt very good in my opinion
Old 01 November 2010, 12:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
Most isurance companies wont touch imports, 270 bhp is attainable with supporting mods, and safe, as said before a mapper getting 240bhp isnt very good in my opinion
i think thats not so much an issue as it used to be, although i think its alot to do with if you know where to go.
Old 01 November 2010, 01:30 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i think thats not so much an issue as it used to be, although i think its alot to do with if you know where to go.
Yeah your right, most well known ins companies add a lot on for imports look for the right companies not such an issue, but they usually want clean licence and min 3 years ncd
Old 01 November 2010, 01:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
Yeah your right, most well known ins companies add a lot on for imports look for the right companies not such an issue, but they usually want clean licence and min 3 years ncd

aye, just have to know where to go for best deals hehe
Old 01 November 2010, 03:10 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

most insurance companies will not quote for under 30s as well.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

right, spot on splitpin. with a freer flowing exhaust, FPR, and the correct AFRs, you're going to get there then. just really depends on the mapper i suppose, how far they are willing to go before egine becomes unsafe or turbo runs out of puff.
No, no need at all for an FPR at these sorts of power levels. The standard arrangement on an MY99-00 will supply more than enough to go comfortably over 300bhp - don't forget that UK cars have the same bits as an STi5/6 in this area. Getting the correct AFRs, provided the engine is in good general working order, is simply down to mapping.

Similarly while you're perfectly correct to state that the TD04L turbo is a limiting factor, if the mapper knows how to get the best out of one you can still end up with a surprisingly accelerative car.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

most insurance companies will not quote for under 30s as well.

i've never had an issue with getting quotes and i've had one for 6 years now, admitedly some are stupid prices lol
Old 01 November 2010, 03:31 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i've never had an issue with getting quotes and i've had one for 6 years now, admitedly some are stupid prices lol
neither have i as i am an old ******, but young 'uns here in Northern Ireland have a hard a time getting insured for imprezas (uk or imports). even when they do they are getting their pants pulled down in the prices they are be quoted.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

ah right, im nottingham, so not tried in NI lol
Old 01 November 2010, 03:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

we still get all the adverts on tv, but when you read the small print, it invariably excludes Northern Ireland.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

thast a bit **** init

Quick Reply: how much BHP?