Notices

2001 bug eye WRX possible ABS problem?

Old 28 October 2010, 12:02 AM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 bug eye WRX possible ABS problem?

I have recently purchased the above and when slowing down under really light braking the ABS kicks in as you come to a stop no matter how lightly you press the brakes, doesnt make any difference on weather conditions etc just wondered if theres any common problems with them?
Any help or advice much appreciated.
Old 28 October 2010, 01:04 AM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Hmm had this on a classic v3 sti, was a real pain in the as*. If i remember right even if you pull the fuse it still does it??

Is it intermittent or does it happen all the time?

Cant remeber if it was just a sensor or something else (will find out), It wasnt anything major i remember that much lol.
Old 28 October 2010, 07:19 AM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

Seems to happen all the time, it's not on the road yet but i want this problem sorting before it is, there is no ABS light on. What number fuse is it and where are they located? Only just bought the car so not had chance too look yet.
Thanks for reply mate, what was the problem with your car in the end?
Old 28 October 2010, 08:32 AM
STUNE
Scooby Regular

Behind the small box under the fog light etc. switches..

Old 28 October 2010, 10:51 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Devil666 unfortunately this could be a number of things.
I had a broken ABS tone ring on mine which caused this problem - it's a ring with square teeth that turns on the axle and the gaps between the teeth are read by the ABS sensor as the ring turns (I believe it's to calculate speed and also pick up on skids) - braking was very juddery as a result because the sensor wasn't getting correct readings.
That's the cheaper option.
It could also be the ABS sensor, which is more expensive to replace.

IMHO the ABS on the Impreza is sh*te anyway, and many people I know (including experienced mechanics) pull the fuse on theirs in the winter in the snow and ice as it's just plain dangerous.
Old 28 October 2010, 06:30 PM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone have a diagnostic to check for fault codes? Mine won't do subaru's unfortunately :-(
Old 28 October 2010, 06:36 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

As said, the ABS is shyte. It kicks in far too easily especialy on even a mildly bumpy suface. Totaly leathal on snow and ice, it just removes all braking effort. So you may not have a problem at all if you have been testing on a gravel/bumpy suface.
Old 28 October 2010, 10:05 PM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

The road and conditions were fine though and brakes were only pressed really lightly which makes me think it maybe the abs module at fault abs light isn't illuminated on dash
Old 28 October 2010, 11:44 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Devil666
The road and conditions were fine though and brakes were only pressed really lightly which makes me think it maybe the abs module at fault abs light isn't illuminated on dash
If the ABS light isn't illuminated this could be something else.
When I had the ABS problem the light was on intermittently.

I don't mean this to sound condescending but are you sure it's the ABS kicking in and not really warped or incorrectly fitted discs / pads? Worth a check possibly.

If not, sounds like you may need a mechanic.
I've had the ABS kick in before in situations like Turbo Tez describes - hit a wet patch of leaves and it released the wheels and I nearly hit a gate before it decided to start braking again; also standing water - same issue (although no gate involved that time ).

Better discs and pads with braided hoses will help but the ABS is definitely far too sensitive; indeed I read a thread a while back saying that early Blobeyes were offered a free "re-calibration" of their ABS system - which I think meant - make it less bloody sensitive.
I may ask my local dealer about this.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 28 October 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 28 October 2010, 11:55 PM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

Definately abs, going to take fuse out and see if that makes a difference and also check abs rings to make sure teeth are there and they are secure to driveshafts. I'll take it from there.
Has to be one of those if ABS light isn't on.
Old 28 October 2010, 11:56 PM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

Brakes have been stripped and cleaned so definately not them.
Old 30 October 2010, 01:33 AM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Yes ABS ring seems to ring a bell but mine was intermittant.
I would check there is a bulb in the abs light (In the dash)..... first thing a lot of people do is remove the bulb when abs light shows up.....

As for the fault codes, anyone know do the bugeyes have the two wires under the steering wheel???

Cheers Danny
Old 30 October 2010, 07:39 PM
bnmotors
Scooby Regular

i got the same problem with my 2002 sti. when i go over uneven ground with light braking my right front wheel ABS kicks in. and makes a grinding noise. only seems to do it on uneven road/surface. dont seem to notice anything on hard braking on flat ground. I might check the ABS ring on the front. Is it easy to get at? someone told me its on the gearbox side of the driveshaft????
Old 31 October 2010, 12:19 AM
Devil666
Scooby Newbie

I'm not sure will have to check when I get it up in the air next, normally on the outside with ABS sensor in the hubs but not sure on Subaru?
Old 01 November 2010, 08:27 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Devil that's correct, they're there.
Old 06 August 2015, 08:52 AM
etuz93
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bnmotors
i got the same problem with my 2002 sti. when i go over uneven ground with light braking my right front wheel ABS kicks in. and makes a grinding noise. only seems to do it on uneven road/surface. dont seem to notice anything on hard braking on flat ground. I might check the ABS ring on the front. Is it easy to get at? someone told me its on the gearbox side of the driveshaft????
Did you find a solution to this problem?? Or anybody else?

Thanks!

I have a sti 2002 too...
Old 06 August 2015, 10:32 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etuz93
Did you find a solution to this problem?? Or anybody else?

Thanks!

I have a sti 2002 too...

Unfortunately it's a 'feature' on this model, and back in the day Subaru offered an alternative ABS unit that was less sensitive. I don't know how many cars took this option but mine didn't. It sails serenely on at low speeds on poor surfaces, or most dangerously at higher speeds in the wet when hitting those steel covered drain covers that are often stretched across the road just before roundabouts. A quick off-on on the brakes gets it all working again but it can be heart stopping.

The solution might be to pull the fuse on the ABS, replacing it with a blown one to keep the insurance company happy.
Old 06 August 2015, 12:15 PM
etuz93
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Paben
Unfortunately it's a 'feature' on this model, and back in the day Subaru offered an alternative ABS unit that was less sensitive. I don't know how many cars took this option but mine didn't. It sails serenely on at low speeds on poor surfaces, or most dangerously at higher speeds in the wet when hitting those steel covered drain covers that are often stretched across the road just before roundabouts. A quick off-on on the brakes gets it all working again but it can be heart stopping.

The solution might be to pull the fuse on the ABS, replacing it with a blown one to keep the insurance company happy.
The problem is that mine was working well before, but now the abs kicks in in every braking, even if I'm parking the car! It always kicks in...