Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound emission test

on subarus for approval for the uk market anyone now about it
Old 24 October 2010, 12:32 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all down to the tester mate. I had an *** of a tester this year, i had to get a email from VOSA to tell him how to emission test my car. He gave me an advisory for a loud exhaust. Below is an extract from the MOT manual.

Method of Inspection Reason for Rejection
1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness. Note: The overall security of the exhaust system should be assessed; one or more exhaust mountings missing may not be a Reason for Rejection.
1. a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated
b. an exhaust system not adequately supported.
2. With the engine running a. check the exhaust system for leaks Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle. Note: The level of exhaust noise should be assessed at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check.
2. a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection
b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Last edited by Glowplug; 24 October 2010 at 12:35 PM.