Notices

sti genome

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2010, 05:36 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti genome

I really like the look of the genome backbox, however on my jdm twinscroll sti if this is the only silencer on the car how loud would it be, I am getting older now and don't really want excessive exhaust noise. Car retains a cat, but is running without resonator. Has what I think is a magnex backbox on at the moment with an oval tailpipe, I find this acceptable, quiet around town and cruising, but does howl on wot.

Darren
Old 09 October 2010, 06:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yours a 2005 JDM?

Tony
Old 09 October 2010, 07:04 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

yes it is, but already have de resonated centre, will be replacing the front silencer with 2.5 wrx decat pipe as is same length, or maybe fitting a hks sportcat downpipe (still undecided), just wondered how loud the genome silencer is as I think they look really good, but if they are loud then I will stick with the magnex already fitted. Is a sportcat likely to make it louder than the stock one.

Darren
Old 09 October 2010, 07:40 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I had one on my Spec C when I bought the car, the noise is louder than a standard or Prodrive silencer but not intrusively loud when you compare it to some aftermarket silencers.

I quite liked it but it got changed when I had a Milltek 3" system fitted, I prefer the noise from the Milltek system so I sold it on.
Old 09 October 2010, 09:05 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

I bought the Genome for Cannon Fodder. I have a prodrive sports cat and de-resonated centre fitted.

The exhaust is no louder than normal if you are driving off boost. As soon as you put your right foot down it starts to scream! Driving in town traffic in 2nd and 3rd at low revs, you get a nice throaty gargle. In 3rd gear, foot flat and at 1.6 bar boost, the exhaust is deafening.

Would I recommend it? Hell yes!!! I enjoy the sound so much that my mpg have down from 24 to 19 mpg. If you want any videos, then let me know and I will try an post what you want.

Last edited by redwards; 09 October 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10 October 2010, 10:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by daz1968
yes it is, but already have de resonated centre, will be replacing the front silencer with 2.5 wrx decat pipe as is same length, or maybe fitting a hks sportcat downpipe (still undecided), just wondered how loud the genome silencer is as I think they look really good, but if they are loud then I will stick with the magnex already fitted. Is a sportcat likely to make it louder than the stock one.

Darren
I have one sitting down stairs (a genome exhaust that is ) that came off an MY05 JDM STI, its been modified with a slip joint and a centre section, unfortunately its too short for my MY03 Spec C (they changed the exhausts on the MY05 cars ) so I would need to have a new centre section or an additional pipe made to fit.
Box and exhaust are in good condition

Tony
Old 10 October 2010, 10:38 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I hopefully have a hks sportcat from an 03 car and the longer classic de resonated centre section, so will only be looking for a standard fit backbox, only issue is I can't decide if the hks sportcat will be worth it, at least though the complete exhaust would be stainless, I am just sorting it out before I go for a remap on uk fuel as am on standard jap map at the moment. Not after mega power, just like the idea of having no exhaust worries if all stainless steel, I am just concerned if the hks sportcat will be ok come mot time, never had issues with the prodrive one on my wrx however.

Thanks

Darren