Notices

Engine removal- Massive clutch fork removal problem!

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2010, 12:45 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal- Massive clutch fork removal problem!

Help

having to remove my engine due to head gasket issues and ive got to the point where i have to undoe the gearbox bolts ( i only seem to have 1 in place!).
Came to look at undoing the clutch fork thing and the plug where the allen key is supposed to go in has had what looks like the end of a phillips screwdriver snapped off inside it!! i could only see this by taking a pic on my phone. not sure on how i can get the pic on here either?

How the hell do i either get this out or remove the engine without taking this out!!!

I am now at a full stop due to this issue so any helpful advice would be really welcome

Thanks
Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19092010126.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	4322  

Last edited by pandyman; 19 September 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: edit to include pic
Old 19 September 2010, 01:42 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Help

having to remove my engine due to head gasket issues and ive got to the point where i have to undoe the gearbox bolts ( i only seem to have 1 in place!).
Came to look at undoing the clutch fork thing and the plug where the allen key is supposed to go in has had what looks like the end of a phillips screwdriver snapped off inside it!! i could only see this by taking a pic on my phone. not sure on how i can get the pic on here either?

How the hell do i either get this out or remove the engine without taking this out!!!

I am now at a full stop due to this issue so any helpful advice would be really welcome

Thanks
Andy
looks like the end of a tap
Old 19 September 2010, 01:46 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Hi gregsti

It could well be a tap, whatever it is it has me screwed at the moment!

Really dont know how to split the engine/box without removing this as all threads on the site seem to suggest this HAS to be done.

Andy
Old 19 September 2010, 01:56 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Had one similar to this last year it was a royal pain.

Considered drilling the other side of the box casing but ruled it out in the end.

Pure force got the engine out in the end ripping the thrust bearing out of the pressure plate. Once the engine was out we replaced the pin and fork just to be safe due to the force put on it.

It also wrecked the bottom locating studs, and the locating dowels and it left several Marks on the block and box from prying with bars. We dressed these up with a dremel afterwards.

They may be an easiser way we tried to go in through the wee inspection hole but couldnt get any purchase via that.

Good luck.

Also considered welding a bolt onto the pin but i didnt have access to the gear, and very little room in that area.

Last edited by 71/200; 19 September 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 01:56 PM
4evermad
Scooby Regular

looks like you will have to drill it out, its should take a m8 bolt then just pull out. Or try putting 2 smaller self tapping screws in and just pulling the broken part out worth a try
Old 19 September 2010, 01:57 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

if you take the rubber off the clutch fork then you should be able to get a long thin screwdriver or something like that in to split the release bearing from the clutch,so that you can lift the engine and leave the release bearing on the box.then when the engine is out you will be able to remove the clutch fork pin.
Old 19 September 2010, 02:02 PM
4evermad
Scooby Regular

or as bigarf said this is the same way you would remove the gear box on the evos long screwdriver and give it a twist the clutch is a pull type and the bearing will come off but not always easy
Old 19 September 2010, 02:08 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4evermad
looks like you will have to drill it out, its should take a m8 bolt then just pull out. Or try putting 2 smaller self tapping screws in and just pulling the broken part out worth a try
I thought this was the bit you have to wind out with a 10mm allen key first before getting to the plug you have to use an M6 bolt and pull on??

As i've never taken one out before, have i got this bit wrong??
Old 19 September 2010, 02:12 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
if you take the rubber off the clutch fork then you should be able to get a long thin screwdriver or something like that in to split the release bearing from the clutch,so that you can lift the engine and leave the release bearing on the box.then when the engine is out you will be able to remove the clutch fork pin.

Ah now that sounds like a plan! many thanks bigarf, i'll give that a try, although i'm not sure what im trying to seperate its got to be simpler than trying to get that plug thing out!
Old 19 September 2010, 02:13 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Looks to me as though the plug has already been removed..And what's visable is the pin that holds the fork in place..

I agree that that looks like a broken tap,relistically if you can get a grip on it,it should pull out,maybe with some bull nose pliers...

Alan.....
Old 19 September 2010, 02:34 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

As guinness says looks like the plug is already out. You could drill down the centre and wind an extractor down. The pivot is quite easy to pull out once you get hold of it.
Old 19 September 2010, 02:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it IS a broken tap, and it looks like one to me, too, you'll not drill it, they are hard.

Can nyou get a pair of snipe nosed plier onto the indents and try twisting it anti-clockwise? If it's broken as it was being used, that ought to loosen it.
Old 19 September 2010, 03:03 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Just a thought 10mm bolt 40mm long,place in hole head out,arc weld to shaft let cool gently lever out hopefully
Old 19 September 2010, 03:59 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Ah now that sounds like a plan! many thanks bigarf, i'll give that a try, although i'm not sure what im trying to seperate its got to be simpler than trying to get that plug thing out!
imagine the the gearbox wasnt there and you were looking down on the engine with clutch and release bearing still attatched.inbetween the clutch pressure plate and the release bearing is what looks like a washer,you need to stick some thing like a screwdriver or metal ruler inbetween the release bearing and this washer and twist so that it pushes the washer towards the clutch,this with break the release bearing free from the clutch then you can remove the engine without damaging anything.once the engine is out you can get hold of the clutch pin that has the bit broken off in it and just slide it out with your hand.
Old 19 September 2010, 04:31 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Hi guys
Right, i've spent the past 2 hours near enough trying to get this out.

Tried needle nose and internal circlip pliers, wont budge.

Tried drilling it- as Alcazar said hardened steel so wouldnt drill.

Tried screwing a screw into the gap, cant even get the screw started.

Tried long thin screwdriver down through rubber boot on clutch fork,
could do with an exploded diagram really to see what im aiming for as sadly i have no experience of replacing clutches-yet! lol

One of the main difficulties is that i cant see what i'm doing as those who know where this hole is will appreciate you cant actually see in it very well hence the picture taken on my phone to try to establish what the problem was in the first place.

Andy
Old 19 September 2010, 04:36 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

I am just going to throw this out there, the pin that you are trying to withdraw does not need much of a pull to get out, have you tried to screw a self tapping screw down the side of whatever is stuck in the centre to give you something to grip on with pliers to withdraw the pin.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 05:09 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Hi All

Well i've tried all i can for now with no luck so i have soaked it in WD40 and will have another go tomorrow when i get home from work.

Big 'D' i've tried to get a screw in and couldnt get one started but i will have another go tomorrow, i'll try to source a thinner, sharper self tapper
and give that a try.

Thanks
Andy
Old 19 September 2010, 05:16 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

it is a very simple job to do if you knew what you were looking for,but as you say if you havnt done it before then it will prove to be a pain in the ***.another solution would be to prize the two lugs off the release bearing then just fit a new one when you have the engine out.the lugs with break off the release bearing very easily.
Old 19 September 2010, 05:24 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

this might help you to see how the bearing is removed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBi5B...eature=related
Old 19 September 2010, 05:28 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

does that help
Old 19 September 2010, 06:03 PM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

Where do you live mate, if your local Il pop round and give you a hand
Old 19 September 2010, 06:45 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72

does that help
Thats great info thanks, if you look at the diagram and the attached pic i posted, it is part number 10 on the diagram that has the bit stuck in it!

Turbo Tez - really kind offer, sadly i'm in Wolverhampton! but i appreciate it.
Old 19 September 2010, 06:58 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

drill it thenuse bolt extractor to remove it m8 just had to do mine pain in ***
Old 19 September 2010, 07:29 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

drill either side the broken part and use 2 smaller bolts to pull it out or weld something to it and yank it out, then clean it up and remove the broken part or source another.
Old 19 September 2010, 08:02 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

i was in woves the other day dam , dont you mean number 9 is stuck ?? , just a quick one , pop to pound shop and get a magnet on a stick , and wiggle the clutch fork as you pull on it it should come out .........

if you remove the rubber boot around the clutch fork and go in the top way you will need 2 long screwdrivers one each side to pry the spring back , not sure if you will be able to get at it though.....
Old 19 September 2010, 08:13 PM
yellowevo
Scooby Regular

If you can get shorter screw approx 30mm started in the pin with a penny washer on it ,as the screw threads into the pin it will pull up the thread towards the outside of the box.Once it gets the inital movement sorted the rest will come easily by hand.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:33 PM
bmfcrash
Scooby Regular

As it is a broken tap in the thread, you can try giving it a good whack with a centre punch and hammer, Taps are very brittle but very hard.

It might break up enough to give you a chance with an easyout, there may only be a couple of threads of tap snapped off in the pin.

Give it a go.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:56 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

Some good ideas for me to try, i'm just seriously short of space to get a drill in there to drill it, i will try the centrepunch idea as it may break it up??
Bigarf has given me a solution to get the bearing seperated so i can get the engine out i will then have more room to deal with the aftermath of some T**t's bodge job

God knows what i'll find when i start stripping the engine down i can see this being a long term repair/rebuild thread

I will update tomorrow on my progress

Andy
Old 19 September 2010, 10:31 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

tack/weld a old screw driver to it and pull
Old 19 September 2010, 11:11 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You can undo the clutch cover bolts through the starter motor hole, leaving the clutch cover attached to the release bearing/box. with the engine out of the way you can easily unclip the release bearing from the clutch, then push the release fork pivot pin out from the other side. Simples.

Quick Reply: Engine removal- Massive clutch fork removal problem!