Notices

D.I.Y or Garage to fit MY01 4 pots & disks to a MY98 with 2pots what do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2002, 10:11 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As above, picking the front disks and calipers up Saturday, is this a D.I.Y job, bearing in mind that when i was fitting an APS kit it got thrown across the driveway from a teeny bit of stress.

Is it worth getting braided hoses, if so can i still use the hoses if i do an upgrade again??

Thanks in Advance

SCOBY
Old 04 April 2002, 10:37 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From memory I seem to remember that the 4 pot hoses have small "spikes" to locate them in the caliper, which the 2 pot hoses don't have.
This means trouble if you use the 4 pot hoses & calipers but then swap back to 2 pot brakes as the 4 pot hoses won't fit.
Hope it makes sense??

I found that initial pedal travel increased when swapping from 2 to 4 pots but gained it back when I put on Goodridge hoses.

Nick
Old 04 April 2002, 11:04 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i uprated my 97 scoob to 4 pots, easy, remove 2 pot , remove disc, refit larger disc, refit 4 pot, refit standard or braided hose, bleed brakes, have some fun
mark
Old 04 April 2002, 11:07 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Am i going to notice a lot of difference after fitting them or will it just be slightly noticeable.

Butty, i understand what your saying, just hope i dont get that problem.

Cheers

SCOBY
Old 04 April 2002, 11:07 PM
robbo_64
Scooby Regular

I fitted 4 pots to a MY98 along with EBC green pads, had no problems whatsoever, don't know about the spikes Butty is talking about. didn't really have to bleed them as such, just kept my finger over the end of the hoses before fitting to new calipers, took top off master cylinder, waited for fluid to 'drain' through the caliper and seep out of the blled nipple, pedal was solid straight off, sounds hard to believe I know. didn't fit braided hoses though, bought them but couldn't get the nuts off at the connections to the 'hard pipework'!!!!!
had no problems re. pedal travel to date (been on 12 months now)
Neil.
Old 04 April 2002, 11:11 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

notice much difference robbo?

SCOBY
Old 05 April 2002, 08:37 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps I had better say that the 4 pots and hoses came off a P1. I assumed that the parts were exactly as 4 pots MY98 onwards, but perhaps not.

The P1 hoses had a little hook to locate the banjo fitting. The 2 pot hoses I took off just had a flat banjo face.

A relatively easy DIY job. The only trouble I had was getting the hoses off (corrosion) from the rigid brake lines. Best invest in a proper hose spanner (from Halfords) or the faces can be rounded off.
If the discs are stuck on then there are two bolt holes on disc. Find a bolt to fit (can't remember what size) and do up. This will force the disc face away without damaging it (if you want to reuse or sell on the discs).
All took about 1.5 hours.

Nick
Old 05 April 2002, 09:05 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

to be honest they were only a slight improvement, even with mintex pads, i used to own an opel manta with 308mm godspeed discs and willwood calipers, they were brilliant, ive now got alcon brakes on a p1, they are ok, recently test drove a new sti with brembos, they are brilliant
mark
Old 05 April 2002, 02:17 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Toby

I would go for the braided hoses all round anyway, thus eradicating any problem

See you Saturday
Scott
Old 05 April 2002, 02:48 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

Its probably an easy diy job BUT,

I recently upgraded my disks to a godspeed big disk set up, and did it myself.

When i came to insure it, I needed to go and get a garage to write a letter syaing that they were in roadworthy condition. Therefore I would recommend jsut getting a garage to do it from the start, and get them to provide a letter saying that it was done to a road worthy state - easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

Gareth