Old 03 September 2010, 04:36 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default useful or bin it???

Anyone know the function of this ? see pic,

it bolts on just under the steering column see pic

when removed it leaves 2 mounting brackets one each side of the steering colunm

It looks like some kind of brace/strengthening bar but I can’t see it doing much other than weigh 1kg , but before I consign it to the bin I though I better ask if it as any real purpose,
Old 03 September 2010, 04:43 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe, a big maybe, its to stop the steering wheel height travelling to low when you adjust it.
Mine doesn't travel too far, but its met with a bit of a clunk when set to the lowest setting.
Old 03 September 2010, 04:55 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Might also stop the steering colum collapsing into your groin in the event of a serious frontal impact.
Old 03 September 2010, 05:32 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Maybe, a big maybe, its to stop the steering wheel height travelling to low when you adjust it.
Mine doesn't travel too far, but its met with a bit of a clunk when set to the lowest setting.
no the column doesn't adjust far enough to hit it, the clunk is probably in the colunm its self, as it reaches it's lowest setting, good thinking though.

Originally Posted by trogg
Might also stop the steering colum collapsing into your groin in the event of a serious frontal impact.
I think this is more likely, I guess the point of adjustment is a weakness in the steering column, which could indeed snap in the event of a major shunt, maybe the bracket is a afterthought following crash testing or actual accident feedback, I'll have decide whether the risk of injury is a significant one, afterall the air bags are coming out along with the ABS so I've made a few safety related decisions already I'm hoping the roll cage will offset actual risk