easy to fit????

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2010, 02:48 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post easy to fit????

hi guys ,
ive been looking at short shifters/quick shifters on flea-bayŁ20, thing is can if fit 1 of these without much messing around, plus does it make much diffrence over the factory 1 .ive had a look and it seems there is just a bolt holding the original gear stick in place is this the case... i will be fitting it to my97 uk 2000 turbo..... all your info on this would be really good
Old 02 September 2010, 02:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dead easy, except it takes a LOT of force to get the ball on the end of the new lever into the socket on the gearbox. People use blocks of wood on top of the lever and a large hammer to literally bray it

I assume you know how to get at the lever?
Old 02 September 2010, 03:35 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Dead easy, except it takes a LOT of force to get the ball on the end of the new lever into the socket on the gearbox. People use blocks of wood on top of the lever and a large hammer to literally bray it

I assume you know how to get at the lever?
no not really - can i do all this from inside the car? if it takes that much force to get the new 1 in then how do i get the old 1 out? please talk me through it
Old 02 September 2010, 05:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

All from inside, yes.

Lift centre glove-box lid, prise off two screw covers, undo screws.

Working from the rear of the piece, lift the plastic moulding which contains the mirror switches, etc and remove it, disconnecting wiring from mirror switches.

Unscrew gear-lever ****, it takes some force if it's never been off before. It unscrews anticlockwise as normal.

Now prise out the gear lever surround, again from the rear first, and lift it off, complete with gaitor.

Undo the gear-lever nut at the centre, remove the bolt and give the lever a sharp pull out: it's FAR easier to get out than the new one in.

Reassembly is the reverse.

I did mine, then replaced the original and sold mine on as it made little difference. Fitting the Momo **** lower seemed to make a bigger difference.