Notices

suspension problems help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2010, 09:46 PM
johnnywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension problems help!!

i've got 2 problems 1st a rattling coming from rear over small ish bumps looked underneath and with a big bar pulled everything cant find anything loose or worn bushes look fine anti-roll bar not worn drop links look fine but i've been told ?? could be worn how do i tell??? 2nd when i have rear passengers and i go over bumps when turning left or over speed ramps i get a rubbing type noise sounds like metal to metal rub again been underneath and no evidence of any rubbing marks totally baffled any ideas or suggestions of what it could be?????????

cheers

john
Old 08 August 2010, 09:17 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Have you changed your rear discs and pads lately? I had a rubbing noise whilst turning sharp at speed after changing discs and found out that it was the backing plate on he rear catching the inside of the new brake disc. Just scraped the crap that was built up on it and that solved the metal scraping noise.
I have the rattling sound too, I have replaced the rear droplinks and arb with whiteline uprated gear and I still have the rattle. Have been told its the rear shockers.
Will be interested too see what others advise you....
Old 08 August 2010, 01:42 PM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sp00ks
Have you changed your rear discs and pads lately? I had a rubbing noise whilst turning sharp at speed after changing discs and found out that it was the backing plate on he rear catching the inside of the new brake disc. Just scraped the crap that was built up on it and that solved the metal scraping noise.
I have the rattling sound too, I have replaced the rear droplinks and arb with whiteline uprated gear and I still have the rattle. Have been told its the rear shockers.
Will be interested too see what others advise you....
Hi mate no i hav'nt changed anything it started with my standard shocks so changed to adjustable ones as i thought it was the shock gone but still doing it.
As for the rattle it really sounds like a anti roll bar bush rattle or broken anti roll bar but they seem to be fine really baffling

Just realised i'm logged in as my brothers screename D'oh D'oh

Last edited by Danowrx; 08 August 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: wrong screename
Old 08 August 2010, 03:10 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Well my rattle is still there hut not as bad after changing he anti roll bar and droplinks. It was un noticeable that my droplink bushes where worn until the car was rocked vigorously from side too side with someone underneath watching the drop link. The bush was fine too look at but was clearly worn as the bolt was jumping around!
I think that my problem is a combination of jacking the car up and letting the suspension and arb fully extend thus resulting in damaging bushes.
I'll let you know once I change shocks for bc's next week if I cure the problem!!!
Anybody else able too shed some light? Splitpin?
Old 08 August 2010, 03:19 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

jack the car up and pull and push the wheels its prob your lower arm bushes.
ad
Old 08 August 2010, 03:25 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Ok first off. What suspension do you have? How low is fhe car? Could be top mounts. Could be worn shocks etc etc
Old 08 August 2010, 07:39 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

ive a my01 bugeye which had exactly the same rattle and it proved to be the struts.not long after first hearing it they spat their dummy out along with their oil