Notices

Some advise on exhaust please

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2010, 07:33 PM
Andy85
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some advise on exhaust please

I'm new here and new to owning a Subaru aswell, so bear with me if I don't use the right terminology

I have just bought a completely standard 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (UK Spec) and are wanting to do a couple of mods to it. At the moment its got the standard twin exit exhaust which does sound nice but I wanted something louder and deeper.

So as the first mod I thought I would get a exhaust system, I popped onto ebay and bought a full stainless steel de-cat system (including de-cat down-pipe and up-pipe). I haven't fitted it to the car yet, reason being I was doing some reading up and noticed a few people saying that I will need to get a re-map straight after putting this exhaust on because it is a full de-cat system and my car will over boost run lean and break something .

Is this true will this definally happen? I am planning on a re-map but wasn't just right now, but will I need one straight away?

I haven't got any boost gauges in the car so I don't know how I could check if the car was over boosting after putting the exhaust on?

I would rather put a full de-cat system on as the performance benifits are better than cat-back so I heard? Here is a link of the exhaust system I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...item1c13c4be80

Also is this exhaust system ok? Do you think it will give me the nice scooby deep burble? And how loud do you think it will be?

Any answers will be very appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

Last edited by Andy85; 16 July 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 07:59 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

If you fit the de-cat there will be more noise and the turbo will spool up faster but not a huge power gain as the ECU is plodding along as usual. You will get a CEL light (may take quite a few miles while the ECU decides the cat isn't working....the code is P0420)

The Car is very unlikely to overboost as the small TD04 Turbo simply can't flow that much air, The STi with a bigger turbo did boost spike though. So no absolute need to get it mapped straight away but get a better panel filter and map it when you have the money.

The bugeye WRX was pretty crippled out of the factory and re-mapping will increase torque BHP and MPG Mapping factory cars is bread and butter stuff for the cheaper open source mappers as well http://www.racedynamix.com/new/

Not sure what the exhaust will sound like sorry

HTH

Shaun (bugeye MY02 owner)
Old 16 July 2010, 08:01 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had that system once upon a time on my UK spec classic & the fitment was crap. Hits against the gearbox as you come off the throttle. Its not too loud. Personally i would get a Blitz, Hayward or Cobra system. Quality exhausts.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:15 PM
Andy85
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for fast reply. I might give the exhaust a go and see what the fitment is like. So I will be ok and safe to fit the exhaust on straight away and not worry about the map until later?

Also do I need to heat wrap the down pipe? I'm also about thinking of getting a BOV. Something like this ok ...... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...item43a062179d
or should I stay away and get something more expensive or doesn't it matter?

Anyone suggest good performance mods for my 2002 bugeye?

Many Thanks, Andy.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

See my post above, you can de-cat and live with the CEL LOL

Engine mods....... panel filter / exhaust / map.

Suspension.......Eibach springs /prodrive and geometry, rear drop links

Brakes........reasonable disks / pads up front (nothing wrong with callipers) look out for Aztec performance on here or www.asperformance.com

Stay away from BOV,s and induction kits. For once subaru got it right with those LOL

Shaun
Old 16 July 2010, 08:23 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Exhaust looks ok but stay away from Dump Valves.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:23 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy85
I'm new here and new to owning a Subaru aswell, so bear with me if I don't use the right terminology

I have just bought a completely standard 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (UK Spec) and are wanting to do a couple of mods to it. At the moment its got the standard twin exit exhaust which does sound nice but I wanted something louder and deeper.

So as the first mod I thought I would get a exhaust system, I popped onto ebay and bought a full stainless steel de-cat system (including de-cat down-pipe and up-pipe). I haven't fitted it to the car yet, reason being I was doing some reading up and noticed a few people saying that I will need to get a re-map straight after putting this exhaust on because it is a full de-cat system and my car will over boost run lean and break something .

Is this true will this definally happen? I am planning on a re-map but wasn't just right now, but will I need one straight away?

I haven't got any boost gauges in the car so I don't know how I could check if the car was over boosting after putting the exhaust on?

I would rather put a full de-cat system on as the performance benifits are better than cat-back so I heard? Here is a link of the exhaust system I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...item1c13c4be80

Also is this exhaust system ok? Do you think it will give me the nice scooby deep burble? And how loud do you think it will be?

Any answers will be very appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.
Exhausts with flexies in them dont last long,the ideal compromise is change up pipe,no cat,keep down pipe replace the rest with straight thro system.Replace air filter with Greens/what ever.Remove snorkle from under wing,blank off inner wing panel,put short tube in hole where air comes into filter housing.This will give more power mid/top smoother engine also pass mot
Old 16 July 2010, 08:33 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

While I think of it fit a boost/vac gauge,this will tell pretty well what is going on in the engine,does not have to be paranoia window,only jesting !!!
Old 16 July 2010, 08:37 PM
Andy85
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply, I'll probably give exhaust a try, aslong as it won't harm the car, I don't mind if it doesn't last to long as it hasn't cost me the earth. I'll stay away from BOV's lol .

Are K&N panel filters good for scooby's? Also if the CEL comes on will it clear after re-map?

Thanks, Andy.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

K&N panel filters are OK and yes the mapper will clear the CEL

Shaun