Notices

throttle position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 06:50 PM
rob trevor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle position sensor?

i have fitted a new throttle sensor and now my99 rb5 wont idle very well the revs are up to 2k and down to 500, im told you have to set them up at the ecm , where will i find this i have the reading that it should be and a multimeter. this is the link ive found.
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...ting-tps-1.jpg

is this correct?
any help would be great.
cheers
Old 13 July 2010, 07:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Was your idle all over the place before you changed the sensor?

In addition, did you reset the ECU after fitting the new one? If not, do so before trying anything else, as changing the sensor without a reset will throw the throttle opening angle calculations out of whack, even if the new sensor is more or less correctly calibrated.

If you *have* reset the ECU, it's possible you have another problem, but check the throttle position calibration first, resetting again after you have it right, and see where that gets you.

I can't read that link you've posted, it requires a login. However, the procedure to calibrate the sensor is as follows.

First of all pull the front passenger carpet footwell back and use a 10mm spanner or nut driver to undo the cover plate. Remove it and the plastic dust shield that should be protecting the ECU.

Wiggle the cables around a bit so you can shove your multimeter probes in connector B136 (the blue plug). You want your positive to go in pin 20. This is third row down, one in from the right - and should be a lime green wire. Put your negative probe in pin 23 - same row, third wire in from the left. Should be a lime wire with a white stripe.

Start the engine, let it idle, and then, with someone watching your meter, undo the two screws holding the TPS in place and rotate it until the meter reads 0.48 to 0.50 volts. Don't worry what the engine does while you're adjusting it - unless it stalls, in which case, restart it. Once you have it reading the correct value, tighten the screws back up and then blip the throttle gently to ensure it drops back to the .48 to .5 reading.

Reset the ECU again and see where you're at.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:10 PM
rob trevor
Scooby Regular

thanks splitpin thats just what i was after, and the answer to most of it is no. rebuilt the engine and had the throttle body painted and replaced the tps while it was off , to cut it short no i havent done a reset , which is where ill start and then ill set the tps and see how a get on , thanks for the help and info mate .
cheers rob