ECU Experts plz help

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 04:56 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Experts plz help

Hey Guys

I have the opportunity of buying what i am told is a ppp ecu. Its not in the case and the only model number i can see on it is:

Model A19-001 DS2(N).

Does this sound correct?

Regards

Steve
Old 12 July 2010, 06:19 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

We can't tell you whether it's a PPP or not on the basis of that number, unfortunately. It is "correct", but the problem as far as identification is concerned is that all MY99 ECU PCBs have that number on them, so it doesn't help you much.

As such, it's possible you might have a PPP ECU there. However it's also perfectly possible you have a standard (or an STi5/6) one (you can tell the difference between a UK or JDM ECU by the component population on the board however).

It this ECU was being sold with its case (including the very distinctive silver and pink sticker) then I would be reasonably confident that it is what you've been told. However, as it is being sold "bare" then you risk paying for a bog standard one.

The only way to tell for certain what it is (or isn't) is to connect it to a diagnostic interface and query the microcontroller. If you're facing a decision whether or not to buy it, you're going to have to weigh up the risks of potentially wasting your money - unless it can be returned for a refund.
Old 12 July 2010, 06:33 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
Hey Guys

I have the opportunity of buying what i am told is a ppp ecu. Its not in the case and the only model number i can see on it is:

Model A19-001 DS2(N).

Does this sound correct?

Regards

Steve

If is Model No. A19-001 DS2(N) that's its PPP.Here is link http://forum.ecutek.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=808
Old 12 July 2010, 06:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Jura, did you read my post? As above all MY99 ECUs have that number on them, and I'm not quite sure what you think that post on the Ecutek forum demonstrates.

The poster in that thread had an AF041 - STi version 6 ECU (which may or may not have been reprogrammed by Prodrive), not a PPP one. Like I said, they all have the same PCB model number.

Last edited by Splitpin; 12 July 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12 July 2010, 07:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Jura, did you read my post? As above all MY99 ECUs have that number on them, and I'm not quite sure what you think that post on the Ecutek forum demonstrates.

The poster in that thread had an AF041 - STi version 6 ECU (which may or may not have been reprogrammed by Prodrive), not a PPP one. Like I said, they all have the same PCB model number.

If all MY99 Ecu's its have same number,that's very weird and misleading.
Sorry for this
Old 12 July 2010, 09:44 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Splitpin as ever always the genius.... I have asked for some more clarification as to what the ecu is..

Is there anything i can ask for. Or is it purely a diagnostics machine that could tell for certain.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:37 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
If all MY99 Ecu's its have same number,that's very weird and misleading.Sorry for this
No need for sorry dude, this is what the forum's for - discussion and clarification.

And, re. the PCB number, it's neither confusing nor misleading when you know what it actually is. As above it's Unisia JECS' internal printed circuit board part/revision number, no more or less than that. It appears on all the MY99 (and STi6) ECUs because they are all basically the same design, with some component layout differences to account for different functions - and of course different code and mapping programmed into the main processor.

That internal number isn't supposed to be used as a reference to the specific Subaru ECU part code. That number should be on the label on the top of the metal case, but in this case of course, Steve doesn't have the case.

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
Splitpin as ever always the genius.... I have asked for some more clarification as to what the ecu is..

Is there anything i can ask for. Or is it purely a diagnostics machine that could tell for certain.
Only something that can query the microcontroller can tell you for absolute certain what it is, so a Select Monitor, DeltaDash, anything else that can read the ECU.

Provided you have at least a picture of it I can tell you how to determine whether it's a UK/Euro or JDM board, but that doesn't help you much as you can't physically tell the difference between a standard UK and a PPP

The only other (indirect) way to tell would be if you actually have it in hand. If you take your standard ECU out, swap this one in, and suddenly find your car producing a significant amount more go, then chances are it's what it was sold as. The downside, as mentioned above, with this approach, is if you don't have the opportunity to get a refund.