Notices

3 mafs in 2 days wtf

Old 06 July 2010, 11:27 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 mafs in 2 days wtf

Right here goes put the scoob away last year and just got it out again maf was broke so replaced it car ran like crap so got another put that on still was crap but a lot better so put on another took car for a blast ran like a dream hard driving for 3 mile then developed top end miss fire pop pin banging loss of power parked it up valeted the car went to go home in it and ran very bad real loss of power then off and on the power do u think possibly coil pack is breaking up and this is affecting mafs Classic turbo 2000 1999 t reg
Old 06 July 2010, 11:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you got a ***** induction kit ? coil packs could do this but not affect the maf to my knowledge ?
Old 06 July 2010, 11:42 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

so we assume this car was parked up for a year? did you drain fuel etc or take any precations when re-starting?

It could well be the fuel has gone off
Old 06 July 2010, 11:58 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Parked up December so only 7 months fuel was Low so have filled tank
Old 07 July 2010, 12:28 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muzza6464
Right here goes put the scoob away last year and just got it out again maf was broke
How do you know the MAF was "broke"? Check engine light?

so replaced it
With a new, genuine one?

car ran like crap so got another
So you're saying that replacing the AFM made **** all difference? To some this would suggest that the problem was nothing to do with airflow misreads and was elswhere. Nevertheless, was the third sensor a new, genuine one?

put that on still was crap but a lot better so put on another took car for a blast ran like a dream hard driving for 3 mile then developed top end miss fire pop pin banging loss of power parked it up valeted the car went to go home in it and ran very bad real loss of power then off and on the power do u think possibly coil pack is breaking up and this is affecting mafs Classic turbo 2000 1999 t reg
Excuse the french but on the basis of what you've written this sounds about the s***test most illogical "troubleshooting process" I've ever read about. There are more questions here than answers given what we know so far.

To answer your question, there is no conceivable way that a "coilpack breaking up" can affect/break the airflow meter in any way at all - although a failing coilpack could cause all manner of running trouble all by itself, without "affecting" another component at all. As has been said the only thing likely to break an AFM quickly will be an ineffective air filter and/or a huge amount of vibration passing into it - and I doubt even the worst induction kit could do one as quickly as you are suggesting here.

On the face of it, it appears that you have fixated on the airflow meter(s) being the cause of whatever problems you are having without even considering other potential factors - and a tank of degraded, gone-off fuel is, as per TT's comments, the first thing to rule out.

As above, did you fit brand new, genuine replacement MAF inserts, or recycled/secondhand ones of unknown providence? Do you have any direct evidence that the airflow signal is misreading? Have you monitored it with a voltmeter/oscilloscope or diagnostic interface?

Have you tried draining the fuel and filling fresh?

Last edited by Splitpin; 07 July 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07 July 2010, 08:24 AM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Split pin thanks for your advise I don't like the way you reply to peoples threads as you talk to people like they are thick as fxxk after searching for my problem this seems to be the case on a lot of peoples threads.
However you do seem to no what you are talking about and are very helpful.
The answer to your question the mafs I used were 3 genuine but tested ones from grade a subaru the fuel in the tank was only just above the red and I filled the tank with new the car is going to a mechanic today so hopefully he will help.
Any more pointers from any one would be helpful
Old 07 July 2010, 03:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I don't care whether you "like" my posting style or not. Bottom line is that people who put some thought into their posts and make it easy for us to help them will get quick, effective help. People who don't, well, if your post (and the "process" you appear to have followed to date) is a waste of both your and our time, there aren't too many different ways to say so. If you want worthwhile assistance from this forum, you need to give us something solid to work with.

If you want further pointers it would be useful if you answered the questions already posed. In particular why were you convinced that the original airflow meter was "broke", and what is it that seems to have convinced you that the second and third units were as well. Furthermore whether you have any non-standard parts fitted to the induction tract. It would also help if you provided a slightly more specific definition of the original problems than "car ran like cr*p". Doesn't really give us much to go on, does it?

Also as a general point, secondhand airflow meters are best avoided, even if sold as "tested". While I would have no doubt that Grade A have good intentions, do you know whether this "test" involves a comprehensive flow vs voltage check, or merely plugging it into a car and seeing if it idles? If you can't rely on them being 100% accurate, you can't rely on them at all.
Old 07 July 2010, 05:26 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
why were you convinced that the original airflow meter was "broke"?
I think what splitpin is trying to get at here bud (to start off with) is has the Engine management light come on at all...? If it has then read the ecu by plugging in the black and green connectors under the steering column to see what codes are showing (if you haven't already done so), and post the results on here.

If it isn't throwing up the CEL then you can start looking at stuff like coilpack, plugs, plugleads etc BUT you need to give more detail about how the car was running otherwise you'll just end up guessing and throwing parts at it .... so ....

Was it idling lumpy?
Would it hold idle itself without stalling or do you have to accelerate to make it idle?
What happened when you pressed the accelerator? - i.e would it rev freely or just hit a big flat spot and not rev at all?
Old 07 July 2010, 07:40 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Split pin I don't care less what u think I think you are a complete **** the way you speak to people on here and you talk about scoobynet like you own it people come on here for a laugh and to get help not to be talked down to!!! I think it's great the way way people like you hide behind computers and talk to people like sxxt really big of you! I asked on peoples opinions to try and help Take note of the way other users talk to each other on here thank you to everyone else comments I new the maf sensor had gone because of error code 23 also I have also found out I have had a problem with my coil pack and I have replaced it also the spark plugs.
been out for a run with a guy I use for my mapping with it plugged into the laptop and he has done a bit of tweaking car is running like a dream now .

Last edited by muzza6464; 07 July 2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: .
Old 07 July 2010, 08:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Yawn. Like I said, I'm not bothered - especially for every one of you there'll be four or five other people with diametrically different opinions.

Glad to hear you got your car sorted out, and not at all surprised that the problem wasn't the item you'd replaced twice. You may have asked for "opinions" but your post was confusing to read and your diagnostic process impossible to decipher. Like I said, if you want help on here, you need to give us something to work with.
Old 07 July 2010, 09:47 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Yawn. Like I said, I'm not bothered - especially for every one of you there'll be four or five other people with diametrically different opinions.

Glad to hear you got your car sorted out, and not at all surprised that the problem wasn't the item you'd replaced twice. You may have asked for "opinions" but your post was confusing to read and your diagnostic process impossible to decipher. Like I said, if you want help on here, you need to give us something to work with.
That is all I wanted advise not to be spoken to like a ***** end of.
Old 07 July 2010, 11:29 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

what can i say im a newbie ready this this looks like a happy place lol now now girls less off the bitching spread the love......i can see both sides though
Old 08 July 2010, 06:26 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

It's no wonder you can see both sides with one eye that big oooow we are bitchy lol free the hippies and let the love go round
Old 08 July 2010, 06:57 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie turbo
what can i say im a newbie ready this this looks like a happy place lol now now girls less off the bitching spread the love......i can see both sides though
splitpin is one off the best guys on here and helps lots off people or trys to help people by his vast knowledge off subarus no more bitching
Old 08 July 2010, 09:44 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
splitpin is one off the best guys on here and helps lots off people or trys to help people by his vast knowledge off subarus no more bitching

I don't know how he has the patience.
Eloquent in his typing style, accurate, well written, informative, instructional, knowledgeable posts and all he gets for it is abuse.

I used to own a scoob, was a really enthusiastic member on here trying help everyone I could, the more I learnt the more I could convey but with other people posting utter garbage help, the useful posts got lost amongst the bull****.

EDIT*
Take a look at that.. over 9000 posts and I hardly ever came on here to chat crap.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08 July 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08 July 2010, 10:10 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
I don't know how he has the patience.
Eloquent in his typing style, accurate, well written, informative, instructional, knowledgeable posts and all he gets for it is abuse.

I used to own a scoob, was a really enthusiastic member on here trying help everyone I could, the more I learnt the more I could convey but with other people posting utter garbage help, the useful posts got lost amongst the bull****.

EDIT*
Take a look at that.. over 9000 posts and I hardly ever came on here to chat crap.
have to agree with what you say
Old 08 July 2010, 11:23 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Like I said I don't like the way he was talk in to me like I'm thick as fxxk yes he is helpful like I said so stay out of it !
Old 09 July 2010, 06:19 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

What you going to do, come round and beat me up side the head with your keyboard if I don't?
Old 09 July 2010, 06:44 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Prob not fuzz buzz you will be hiding behind it so won't be able to find you
Old 09 July 2010, 07:08 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

lol you guys make me laugh. for the record Ive always found Splitpin has been good for advice although he may come accross as a little pedantic to some.

As for Fuzz and Muzz, why dont you guys take your argument to the streets like they do in the fast and furious lol
Old 09 July 2010, 07:12 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Year like a drag race with a big party and a BBQ at the end I'm up for that
Old 09 July 2010, 11:05 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

when i first read a post by splitpin i thought man he comes across all harsh and headmasterish,and i still think this !! yet if anyone on here can offer accurate,to the point,and usefull imformation its him im afraid so just sit down in class and listen to what he says is my motto,sorry.
Old 11 July 2010, 06:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Splitpin is very... VERY... giving -- what with his willingness to divulge his vast (hands on) knowledge of everything Subaru.

But he's a pragmatist - he talks straight and doesn't suffer fools lightly. If you can "accept" his no BS approach to answering any questions sans any "flannel" , then you'll enjoy his answers/get on with him like a house on fire, etc.

If you happen to possess an ego that's easily bruised, then perhaps he's "not for you" (but that's no doubt more of a "problem" with you , rather than Split'taazz lol). You either "get" him; or you don't (we're all different, after all ).

He has no personal agenda with ANY individual on the site, and will offer assistance to anybody and everybody, IMHO.

Last edited by joz8968; 12 July 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:59 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

There used to be a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site trying to help others out ... but due to the number of people asking stupid questions, or not bothering to use the search function and asking the same questions that have been asked 100's of times before, or worse not liking the advice they have been given and giving the people who try to help them crap ... unsurprisingly a lot of these knowledgeable people have moved on. There are a few good guys left, both Splitpin and Fuzz included, so can I suggest you treat them with a bit more grattitude when they try to help you.
Old 12 July 2010, 11:28 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Red face

OP, stop whining about how you are replied too and how you do or do not like to be treated and remember that people do not have to or indeed need to reply.

You got good probing questions to your frankly uninforrmative and lacking detail in many areas such as if the MAF's where indeed new first post and you also got some good advice.

Whilst you do not need to go giving blow jobs of gratitude to those who chose to help you some respect or at the least restraint would not go amiss.

Suck it up and grow up!

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 July 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:46 PM
muzza6464
Scooby Regular

Paul why don't you put your dummy back in your mouth and shut up if you have something to say then do it to my face and don't hide behind your keyboard I had a issue with split pin I think it's right what people say about him and in future I will listen but it has f all to do with you I grew up a long time ago !
Old 13 July 2010, 10:16 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

Cool

handbags at dawn kids.....!!!!

Old 13 July 2010, 11:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muzza6464
Paul why don't you put your dummy back in your mouth and shut up if you have something to say then do it to my face and don't hide behind your keyboard I had a issue with split pin I think it's right what people say about him and in future I will listen but it has f all to do with you I grew up a long time ago !
Don't know if you've realised this yet buddy but you're rapidly chalking up issues with many more posters than just one.

Still, you are, if nothing else, giving a textbook demonstration of how not to behave on a forum, should be invaluable for the newbs. As for growing up a long time ago, I'd suggest that's a matter of opinion.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:17 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Don't know if you've realised this yet buddy but you're rapidly chalking up issues with many more posters than just one.

Still, you are, if nothing else, giving a textbook demonstration of how not to behave on a forum, should be invaluable for the newbs. As for growing up a long time ago, I'd suggest that's a matter of opinion.
have to agree withe the above comment you know you stuff
Old 14 July 2010, 07:57 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Im glad this thread is still alive, it puts a smile on my face to read.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 mafs in 2 days wtf