Notices

advice needed - internal clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2010, 08:43 PM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed - internal clicking

Hi.. here's the problem.. i have a 96sti which i had chipped (ESL board) which then went wrong so i put the standard ecu in.. unfortunately i didnt think to change the injectors back to 380cc from 440cc.. have been driving the car around for last 10 weeks or so with no noticeable running issues at all until recently when it started misfiring..

Have just changed plugs and oil and injectors back to 380cc.. plugs were noticeably wet, and unfort the oil did smell slightly of petrol..

the car seems to run fine now but there seems to be an audible clicking noise which from listening and guessing seems to be coming from somewhere iin the middle of the engine (!) but def seems to be coming more from drivers side and not passengers..

Any ideas??.. i know this could have led to damage to a number of items due to the petrol in oil but as mentioned seems to presently run fine.. I am thinking a compression test would be a good idea but will this pinpoint problem??

I know its impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet but any advice would be appreciated.. especially with regards to whether it could be anything in the top end?? If not i think a 2.5l bottom end may be the way to go as i have a FMIC and power fc waiting to be installed

I need to sort this out urgently and before i go splashing to much about just wanna get your comments..

bob