Notices

turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2010, 10:43 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo upgrade

im thinking of starting to upgrade the power on my 97 impreza turbo 2000, if i put a bigger turbo for example a td05 with no other mods will it increase power or will it just make the turbo lag bigger. i know ill have to get it mapped and put in a better fuel pump and possibly better injectors for best results but you get it mapped once the turbo's been upgraded dont you?
Old 22 June 2010, 10:59 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

yes you will need it mapped again. mapping will eliminate lag by adjusting timing, fueling, boost, IDC etc etc. in creasing power also has other detrimental effect on the drive train, so gearbox needs to be looked at as well as better brakes.

Not sure if your ECU can be reprogrammed without adding a daughter board (ESL) or a completely new ECU (EcuTek, Simtek, MoTec, Apexi)
Old 22 June 2010, 11:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As bigsinky said, it needs mapping and at the moment you have to replace your ecu as you cannot map them (or fit a daughter board esl chip etc) but that may change soon.
You would also need a decent exhaust, brakes (more than just a pad/disc change, we are talking a decent upgrade to 4 pots min as the 2 pots wont stop you, funny when a ford ka(k) outbrakes you ) injectors, fuel pump etc, so look at the cost of what your doing, may end up being a little on the expensive side, but if you just fit the turbo it will turn out even more expensive when the engine lets go

Tony
Old 22 June 2010, 02:48 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

i understand that i will need to uprate the brake discs & pads and fuel pump and injectors to cope with the extra power, but surely you need to get the mapping done once all the mechanical engine parts have been upgraded so the ecu can be mapped to work with the modifications because if you add them upgrades after the mapping it wont be set for the new parts. but anyway so if i do change the standard td04 to td05 turbo will it increase the power on its own by giving more boost?
Old 22 June 2010, 03:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

its not that simple. you can bolt on a td05 if you want and get it mapped to run, but injectors might not be able to supply enough fuel for the air its pumping. FPR might go some way to help that but then IDC will be maxxed out. you can map round some lag issues but not all, so in some cases just fitting a bigger turbo can be counter productive.

try pumping 30lb of boost into a turbo and see how long your engine last. Sorry bud no cheap options here. just increasing the boost without adjusting other parameters will end in tears, trust me.
Old 22 June 2010, 03:47 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok no worries cheers ill just have to save up then and do it properly, so can you re-map a 97 turbo 2000 uk?
Old 22 June 2010, 04:10 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

with the subaru ecu? nope. 92-96 can use ESL daughterboard that piggy backs current ECU. 97 on hmmmm... close but no cigar yet. watch this space though from what i have heard. gonna have to bite the bullet fella and go the whole hog i.e. new ECU as well as turbo and accompanying mods.