Notices

ecu help

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2010, 08:34 PM
johnboywood
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu help

i have got a import ecu and i want to put it on my 98 wrx impreza but it dont work. is the wiring differant ive got a 3 plug ecu or is it as simple as changin some wires around???
Old 16 June 2010, 09:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome John. A couple of points of clarification.

First if all, if you have a "98 WRX", your car is already an import so on the face of it there would be no need to change the ECU.

Secondly, if you have a 1998 model year UK car, these are called Impreza Turbo 2000s. If this is the case you can't simply drop an import ECU in and expect it to work.

There are wiring differences between the UK and Jap market configuration, but even if you sort those out, the Japanese ECU will be mapped for the Japanese specification fuel, engine and turbo. If you came into this figuring that you could simply drop an import increase into a UK car and get a power increase, it unfortunately isn't that simple.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:01 PM
johnboywood
Scooby Newbie

i have got a full import engine and fuel pump everything off a import car except for the loom and coil packs, i have managed to figure out the fuel pump wiring just need a little help off you lot of what else i need to do cheers john
Old 17 June 2010, 05:38 PM
johnboywood
Scooby Newbie

Default hi all

got it running but now its just the same as the uk ecu if not slower ??? ive got a silent exhaust on it sports cat 3.1/2 inch all the way, what could be causing it to not work the boost is stayin on 0.6 bar aswell
Old 17 June 2010, 06:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

With the best will in the world we have got a cat's chance in hell of diagnosing that. There are a hundred and one things that could be potentially "causing it to not work", given the scale of the transplant you've carried out, and the opportunity for problems with the donor engine, problems arising from the swap and so-forth.

It's even more difficult to work out what's what when you haven't explicitly stated what model year the donor parts are from. If it's consistently giving 0.6 bar of boost without flicking the check engine light then one would logically suspect you've got boost control set up incorrectly, whether by using the boost control pipework and two port solenoid from your '98MY car with an ECU mapped for an STi4 three port.

Bottom line here is that someone who knows could probably diagnose this in five minutes by taking a peek under the bonnet, whereas you could be sat here for days with people chucking guesses at you.
Old 17 June 2010, 08:24 PM
johnboywood
Scooby Newbie

Default hi

basicly i have got a wrx engine fitted with my 98 manifold but with the wrx yellow injectors in, its running the full uk version wiring loom and all i have done to get the import ecu to work is swap pins 8 and 10 cam and cranks sensors and moved pin 17 to pin 7 for the fuel.its got a sports cat fitted but its got a silent back box (which i dont like) its got the uk airflow meter and all uk sensors.